Five Guys burgers opening in Glasgow

On the Nando thingy,

Has anyone (like myself) never been, but have used their spice rub (etc) when doing your own roast chicken?

Yup. It speaks volumes that you can make the same product which they serve up (arguably superior if you use un-watery chicken) without the need to actually go there and have their chef make it.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup. It speaks volumes that you can make the same product which they serve up (arguably superior if you use un-watery chicken) without

the need to actually go there and have their chef make it.

I've heard this trotted out many times and every time I try someone's attempt at a "better than in the restaurant" chicken, it's always been much worse. Putting some rub/sauce on some chicken and firin it in the oven at home isn't as good, and folk who claim it is are talking utter shite. In Nando's it's also done on a chargriller which tastes much nicer than oven cooked.

In Nando's it's also done on a chargriller which tastes much nicer than oven cooked.

One of those things which I'm about to fire up in the garden in about an hours time?

How do mouth breathers actually breathe whilst eating? Do they take deep breaths then take bites? Do they just take loads of small bites? Or do they disgustingly pause mid chew to gulp in some air, giving everyone a horrible view of half chewed food in their mouths?

Agreed with the above on Shake Shack, Incredible! The one in London just isn't a patch on the real deal in New York. True Burger Greatness.

I do like Five Guys though and will probably head through to Glasgow when it opens to try it out.

On the subject of Glasgow fast food, has Pinto ever been discussed on here? Pulled Pork Burrito is pretty pleasing.

All burgers are welcome in glasgow....as long as they're not Edin Burg(h)ers.

BTW if Ketchup is considered poor then I really need to try one of these other places but if it's a burger you need to eat with a knife and fork then they can piss right off!

What's the point in a burger that needs a stake to stop it falling apart?

That's not a burger it's a fat kebab.

I know what you mean, and generally I like a burger you can pick up too, but the quality of the Sleazy burgers is immense. The (ubiquitous) pulled pork on that one was really juicy and flavoursome, there was a spicy home-made barbecue sauce, and the blackened pineapple was genius.

Best burgers I've had recently have been abroad, especially the US. They grind the beef to order, so you can have it cooked at you like. I had this cooked V rare.

BurgerNY_zps1524ac85.jpg

We were recently visiting friends in Brooklyn, and found this place: http://www.mooburger.net/moo_menu_burgers.html

I had the bison one, but got them to hold the blue cheese, as I've decided blue cheese is too overpowering on a burger. The bird had the Viatnamese chicken one, and claimed it was the best burger she'd ever eaten.

Not found in Scotland sadly, but Shake Shack do the best burgers in the world. They're incredible. A double Smoke Shack is the finest burger ever created.

I would skin every last one of you alive for another one of those bad boys.

Their hot-dogs are great too.

SHAKESHACK_zpsa92f1ea2.jpg

That's what I'd like to see here - an explosion in hot-dog places. The bratwurst at the Beir Halle in Glasgow are great, but more choice is needed.

Purely because I'm in the mood for going on about food, check out the bloody mary I had the days after the mooburger.

BLOODYMARY_zpsb9439024.jpg

I've heard this trotted out many times and every time I try someone's attempt at a "better than in the restaurant" chicken, it's always been much worse. Putting some rub/sauce on some chicken and firin it in the oven at home isn't as good, and folk who claim it is are talking utter shite. In Nando's it's also done on a chargriller which tastes much nicer than oven cooked.

I've only had Nando's once, and it wasn't good. But I may have just been unlucky to be fair.

If it's similar to McDonald's or BK then it can f**k off tbh. If they do proper burgers then it should be pretty good but there's no point in another one opening in the city centre seeing as there's a quality burger joint on every corner.

LUAC (Little Urban Achievers Club) on GWR do gourmet hotdogs which are excellent. More places should be looking to branch out and do things like that. There's a waft of Mexican restaurants opening too. It's getting a wee bit samey, though they're all bloody delicious.

i think it is closing and/or closed down. Lets hope so processed burger, stale buns- utter shite.

#phoenixchillburgerDUSC

With ganja fries too, only pub where you can get a pint glass full of chips absolute genius

Been to Five Guys a couple of times in New York. The burgers are good and the fries are much much better than McDonalds or BK. Sort of home cooked taste to them.

All the burgers were cooked to order aswell. If I remember right you can choose from about 16 toppings to go on it. Mushrooms, onions, jalapeños etc. which are all free.

What sort of 'level' is Five Guys Burgers at?

Is it the sort of Burger King/McDonalds base level, the Wannaburger/Ketchup half decent but not brilliant level or is it up there with the new 'posh burger' fad that seems to be doing well down south and is finally creeping into Scotland?

One of the best burgers I had recently was actually one from a shop. It was the 'Red Wine and Herb' luxury Waitrose burger, and set me back about £5 just for two burgers.

Grilled them up, then put the bun into the grill and added some nice cheese on it, then put a little bit of lettuce and ketchup on top. Brilliant, decided that it was the burger for me. Went back in to buy some more and they didn't have any, apparently been 'discontinued'. I was more sad about this than any sane person should be about food.

Another good burger is the 'Wagyu Burger' at 'Grill on the Corner'. Fantastic burger, expensive though and the place itself isn't great, but the burger makes it worth it.

I've always thought Ketchup was good, but I got a takeaway from the Southside shop a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty rank. Best burgers I've had are Fuddruckers and In-n-Out in the US, and a place called BurgerBar in Amsterdam.

Confidemus will be along soon to tell us how Burger King are the "pinnacle of burgers".

I had one of these in Tallahassee in Florida about 2 weeks ago and it was fuckin boggin. Mingin meat, the bun was rotten and the cheese, plastic orange shite. It was quite a bit dearer than McDs as well. I hope they bring those coke machines though.

Heres the evidence.

iwpzkn.jpg

To be honest, it looks like you ate 80% of it before you decided it was "fuckin boggin"...

When you're travelling with a stinking hangover after being out your tits on bourbon street hours beforehand, you'll eat any shite you can get when you're in the middle of butt fucking nowhere.

I had also bought another burger. Which I binned without opening.

Archived