Five Guys burgers opening in Glasgow

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit late to the chat on the rare, medium well done issue but I was talking to a chef who lost his shit at hamburgers being cooked anything other than well done. He recons because it's minced meat it has to be well done as bacteria can get into the patty and not be killed off. Unlike steak which is slice of flesh. Was he talking shite?

Bit late to the chat on the rare, medium well done issue but I was talking to a chef who lost his shit at hamburgers being cooked anything other than well done. He recons because it's minced meat it has to be well done as bacteria can get into the patty and not be killed off. Unlike steak which is slice of flesh. Was he talking shite?

Sort of. It's not like steak where you can brown the outside and have the inside basically raw. Medium should be safe as long as the core temperature is high enough. Personally I cook my burgers at home medium if I've made them myself (particularly if I've minced it myself), but well done if they are supermarket burgers.

Even so you would almost certainly be safe.

It really should be cooked well. He is correct about the bacteria being able to be still present inside the burger (unlike steak).

The USDA allow irradiated beef, which is why you tend to get it rare over in the US.

In Scotland the minimum internal temperature should be 82C on the probe.

Sort of. It's not like steak where you can brown the outside and have the inside basically raw. Medium should be safe as long as the core temperature is high enough. Personally I cook my burgers at home medium if I've made them myself (particularly if I've minced it myself), but well done if they are supermarket burgers.

Even so you would almost certainly be safe.

^^^

Has worms.

• 3 months later...

Just noticed that Five Guys is opening in November in Aberdeen.

Across from M&S.

Given that I've not even bothered trying out Byrons, I'm not sure how long it will take me to get around to tasting a five guys burger.

Not been to the Boozy Cow or Angus and Ale. I really need to eat more burgers.

Not been to the Boozy Cow

Nothing particularly special and rather overpriced for what it is imo. Went a couple of years ago and have had absolutely no desire or temptation to head back.

One thing that Aberdeen absolutely excels at is over hyping anything new which comes to town. We'll be hearing about Hornblowers fish and chips for ages when it finally makes the switch up from Gourdon btw. Ace food, but not looking forward to hundreds trying to educate me on somewhere I've been going to for years already.

52 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Nothing particularly special and rather overpriced for what it is imo. Went a couple of years ago and have had absolutely no desire or temptation to head back.

One thing that Aberdeen absolutely excels at is over hyping anything new which comes to town. We'll be hearing about Hornblowers fish and chips for ages when it finally makes the switch up from Gourdon btw. Ace food, but not looking forward to hundreds trying to educate me on somewhere I've been going to for years already.

Hornblowers is f'ing superb

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Yeah that's probably the Evening Express who seem to lose their minds when something new opens in Aberdeen. Still, it will be good to see their food review of Five Guys when it opens. They are normally tragic.

I don't mind The Boozy Cow. Probably prefer it to Five Guys TBH but I was disappointed I didn't get a chance to sample Byron when I was in Aberdeen at the weekend.

Byron and Boozy Cow are both better than Fuve Guys imo but Bread Meats Bread is better than either.

In a related note I was sad to see Wannaburger has closed down in Edinburgh. Good burgers, well cooked. Nothing too fancy but always a great burger and their shakes were incredible too.

Byron's was overpriced for what it was. Nice enough food but paying for everything separately (chips/coleslaw etc are ordered as sides) means that you end up spending loads for some moderately tasty food which you can get much cheaper elsewhere.

After their 'Lee Wallace' episode I'll never go back though. Hired loads of illegal immigrants top work for them on f**k all wages and when they got caught, they did a deal with the home office and told the workers they were going to a training meeting when really they were setting them up to get caught and deported.

Ok they were illegal immigrants, but grassing them up and getting them deported after they have been working for you is fucking low.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jul/28/it-was-a-fake-meeting-byron-hamburgers-staff-on-immigration-raid

9 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Byron's was overpriced for what it was. Nice enough food but paying for everything separately (chips/coleslaw etc are ordered as sides) means that you end up spending loads for some moderately tasty food which you can get much cheaper elsewhere.

After their 'Lee Wallace' episode I'll never go back though. Hired loads of illegal immigrants top work for them on f**k all wages and when they got caught, they did a deal with the home office and told the workers they were going to a training meeting when really they were setting them up to get caught and deported.

Ok they were illegal immigrants, but grassing them up and getting them deported after they have been working for you is fucking low.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jul/28/it-was-a-fake-meeting-byron-hamburgers-staff-on-immigration-raid

From what I gathered in that case Byron were given false documentation, when they were informed of this they then comply with the law and report them, don't really see what they did that was wrong unless we think harbouring illegal immigrants is now a good thing??

I've been to the Byron in Camden and it was alright, was more impressed by their own beer than their burgers though.

Byron and Boozy Cow are both better than Fuve Guys imo but Bread Meats Bread is better than either.

In a related note I was sad to see Wannaburger has closed down in Edinburgh. Good burgers, well cooked. Nothing too fancy but always a great burger and their shakes were incredible too.

The demise of wannaburger is a sore one. 'Burger' round the corner on Shandwick Place is naff, bread meats bread prices for wannaburger style and a needlessly weird ordering system and staff. Will not go back.

Byron has no chance of getting my custom cause of the immigration thing but also because its opposite bmb on lothian road.

Archived