Police stop and search Scots 9 times more than New York

I got stopped and searched twice in REALLY quick succession about ten years ago. I think the two times were about a week apart. Not been searched since or before then. f**k knows what happened in those two weeks to make me a high priority.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't "need to know about these kind of places" to be aware that Class A drug use (and possession) isn't some Wolf Of Wall Street, American Psycho, fluff. Plenty of popular books about the financial sector frequently mention that it's not exactly uncommon. You could Google "City bankers/brokers cocaine" and find numerous articles about it.

My mate got searched on the street purely because the police thought he was acting suspiciously (he was actually looking for a taxi). He emptied his pockets and such, already feeling a bit annoyed at having to be search in the first place, and then he was asked to remove his shoes and socks. On the street. He was absolutely raging but he obliged. The police of course found nothing illegal, leaving my mate to angrily tell them he "told them so."

Now, if I was asked to remove my shoes and socks in the street by the police in a random check I would say no. I'm not having that. That's taking the piss. Let them take me away, I'm not removing my shoes and socks for you, you b*****ds.

You don't "need to know about these kind of places" to be aware that Class A drug use (and possession) isn't some Wolf Of Wall Street, American Psycho, fluff. Plenty of popular books about the financial sector frequently mention that it's not exactly uncommon. You could Google "City bankers/brokers cocaine" and find numerous articles about it.

Aye, this.

Much better explanation than I gave tbh, thnx. Everyone's lying though. All part of a big conspiracy to fool everyone. StandFree has seen through all these mysterious lies and has thankfully come to bestow his wisdom upon us.

Umm you do realise that cocaine is pretty rife in these types of places. You're pretty naive if you think it isn't.

Anyway, Sweet Pete is spot on here. I wouldn't really listen to what StandFree has to say, given he's a nerdy middle aged man who seldom sees daylight.

Maybe if you dealt in a bit of cocaine provision you wouldn't need to worry about a work mate not paying you petrol money...

Why? Would that change the fact that stop and search is based on class and race, not criminality?

For a start, you're more likely to find that ned or a junkie is carrying a blade or up to no good than your average well heeled city gent.

There should be checkpoints for searching these tramps in every town,city or village. :lol:

It's based on class and race? Is that the official line?

Humouring you for a moment, if people are carrying £500 worth of cocaine around with them for their own personal use and not dealing then why would you care if they were not being stopped and searched?

Probably for the same reasons you seem happy at seeing "scumbags" being pulled up for carrying much less.

People can't work a 14 hour day without class A drugs?

:lol:

Some of them can, some of them can't. It is fairly common though.

Someone has been watching too much The Wolf Of Wall Street.

Some of us have worked for a commodities brokerage. The Wolf of Wall Street is a massive exaggeration of what is normal, the extreme of the extreme, but coke and amphetamine use is rife within the industry.

Pretty shocking that doctors and nurses are working long shifts Charlied out their nut as well. NHS obviously pays far too much.

You will of course be aware that medical professionals are seen as a high risk group in terms of likelihood of alcohol and drug addiction?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1277955/Special-Investigation-Why-ARE-doctors-addicted-drink-drugs.html

http://alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/content/14/4/181.abstract

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/doctors-arent-immune-to-addiction-201211165538

Perhaps not £500 a day, but having worked with several brokerage firms for the last 7 years, I would say you are easily as likely (probably more likely) to find a couple of grams on them as you are on your average ned.

They don't survive 14 hour days on fresh air and healthy eating.

I would agree 100%, coke is the drug of choice for the middle class wannabees.

Yes, I am aware of that. I don't see anything about them taking class A drugs to get through 14 hour shifts though.

Where did I say medical professionals done that? You were the one that brought that into it.

You stated that people didn't work 14 hour days on fresh air and healthy eating. Is it just stockbrokers that need class A's to do 14 hour days?

Again, if you could point me to the post where I say that they need class A's to get through the day, I would appreciate it very much.

What do they survive 14 hour days on then, if you are not referring to drugs?

Food and fresh air help, if you want me to be pedantic. I won't try and twist the point I was making mind you.

You conveniently missed the next comment I made, which was that some of them can do the job without taking drugs, and some can't. I have at no point stated that everyone in the industry who works those hours needs drugs to do the job.

Whether you want to admit it or not though, drug use in that particular area of the financial sector is a relatively common occurrence. I know from experience that there are companies(At the very least departments within companies) who practically rely on staff using illegal stimulants to stay alert and to maintain energy levels, enthusiasm and confidence. Alongside that there are also many who turn to other substances(Weed especially) that help them relax and deal with the stress of the work they do. There is a substantial body of evidence to support this.

You can choose to ignore all the evidence if you want.

If folk can afford drugs let them get on with it. So long as they aren't driving or in a position where their actions can harm others, what's the fuss?

If they can't afford the drugs and their habit is funded by thieving and crime, it's a different story.

If folk can afford drugs let them get on with it. So long as they aren't driving or in a position where their actions can harm others, what's the fuss?

If they can't afford the drugs and their habit is funded by thieving and crime, it's a different story.

And what about the hours and beds used up in hospitals treating said drug users ? bit of fuss there I'd say

Archived