Police stop and search Scots 9 times more than New York

Years ago, me and a couple of mates were walking home after the pubs shut when a police car and a Transit screeched to a halt beside us. 6 Polis jumped out, grabbed us and threw us in the back of the van. My mate somehow banged his head on the doorframe just after calling one of them a fascist b*****d. We were taken to the Police Station and thrown in separate cells after having our belts and laces taken off us and our pockets emptied. They released us about 5/6 hours later, returned our belongings and told us to f**k off.

I went back to the Station in the afternoon and asked what the f**k had happened. Apparently someone had phoned in that 3 guys were acting suspicious and we fitted the description.

f**k the Po-Po man.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do remember them searching all the boy racers cars in Ayr's Carrick St car park a few years ago, I don't think that there should be any laws that make those sort of searches lawful.

Seriously though if you were genuinely being regularly stopped by them for no good reason then wouldn't it be an idea to report the officer(s) in question to their superior and if they fail to give an explanation make an official complaint.

Nearly made a complaint once about the police searching me. Was up the town and they asked me to empty my pockets I was taking my time as I was a bit worse for wear and placing coins neatly on the wall. One copper then stuck his hand into my pocket and emptied everything on the pavement with a few pound coins rolling into the drain.

I muttered fanny under my breath then they got all aggressive and put me in the van and gave me a big lecture about f**k knows what.

First time CCTV cameras got installed in Dunfermline me and some mates noticed one following us so we stopped and started mooning it and giving it the v's. Meat wagon turned up and put a mate in the back and gave him a few kicks.

:lol:

Both incidents warranted a complaint IMO.

Police are c***s.

I was walking home from a friend's house early morning. A police car drew up beside me and out popped a policeman and a policewomen. Well the bloke asked me where I was going and what did I have in my carrier bag. I told him and they got back in their car and drove off at high speed. Stopped but no search. I think they were bored stiff and simply wanted to do some policing. We need some proper criminals.

For the record I had a pair of plimsolls, a raincoat, a bottle of water and some secateurs. I didn't mention the secateurs.

That might have gone against you had you been searched...

Fuxake. Falkirk fans and maths. x/9 Shirley?

Well it depends on how you're defining the word "times"

If it's the "times table" kind, then yeah it would be x/9

But I was jokingly using the word in the same sense as "I have been to France three times"

But I was jokingly using the word in the same sense as "I have been to France three times"

OK I have edited my post to put a :P at the end. This is to show I was making a joke rather than highlighting the fact that you struggle with "nine times" and "times nine"

Pax?

Oh and how often has NYC (I assume city rather than state) been stopped and searched? Will any c**t answer this?

You and your friends obviously looked suspicious and the police were correct as you had drugs on you. They'll now know you are drug users and are likely to stop and search you again in future.

If you've nothing to hide and carrying nothing illegal then it wouldn't be an issue.

Looking suspicious isn't a crime, it's also if you'll forgive the pun a cop out for the police to use that as an excuse to stop law abiding citizens

Law abiding citizens who were carrying illegal drugs. A successful stop and search.

I'd argue the majority of stop and search turn up nothing, other than to annoy people going about their business without needing to be treated as a potential criminal just because of the way they look

The same people that complain about getting stopped and searched by the Police would be the first people to go running to them if they got chibbed!

I've never been stopped and searched even when in my youth I did do a bit of recreational........guess I'm not a dodgy looking cnut!

The same people that complain about getting stopped and searched by the Police would be the first people to go running to them if they got chibbed!

I've never been stopped and searched even when in my youth I did do a bit of recreational........guess I'm not a dodgy looking cnut!

chibbing?

Not gonna comment on anecdotes here,but one thing I'd say is The Lord advocates guide lines on stop searching clearly sets out what is an acceptable reason, can't comment on cases given here because I wasn't there, I consider stop search to be a very very big invasion of someone's privacy and for that reason I'll only do it if I have good reason. Stop searching in Scotland though accounts for a number of things, stolen property, weapons, alcohol, drugs amongst others, whereas I'm not sure the American figures count for all of those, for that reason I'd take an educated guess that this is why the figure is higher. Like any profession people have bad and good experiences and their own values etc can skew why they think they are hard done to etc. As for the original point about 'an easy £75' that's not the case, police don't get the revenue from fiscal fines and for any incidence of someone being caught in possession of drugs the same paperwork as an assault etc has to be done so that's wrong from the start.

Statistics in London show in the vast majority of knife crime that not only the perpetrators but also the victims tend to be black youths.......why would the Police ignore that statistic when attempting to tackle knife crime through stop and search?

chibbing?

Yachting?

I don't work in London and am completely unfamiliar with how PACE (the English criminal law system) works. I could only speculate that it's not really a statistic to ignore, but not one that really is an issue I could comment on as I have no idea what policing in England is like, it's very very different to Scotland.

Lets be honest.....I think we all recognise a Ned when we see one.

Archived