Airdrieonians vs. Albion Rovers

Special mentions to:

• Bobby Madden, who had a terrible game throughout and missed a number of bad tackles, in particular Marc McKenzie's scissor in the second half
  • Ally Love, the ugly, snarling little runt who played the role of pantomime villain to perfection

The ref gave your lot every decision, Mckenzie took the ball. What about the two footer on our player Gary Fisher that you failed to mention? Fisher was subbed off almost straight away after it yet the ref done nothing...not even a yellow card.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ref gave your lot every decision, Mckenzie took the ball. What about the two footer on our player Gary Fisher that you failed to mention? Fisher was subbed off almost straight away after it yet the ref done nothing...not even a yellow card.

That's the incident I was referring to - he missed McKenzie's scissor in the first place before an Airdrie player jumped in on Fisher. I don't dispute it was a bad tackle but he didn't even blow for a foul in the first instance.

I thought Madden was awful for both teams, for what it's worth.

At the end of the game, a group of Airdrie fans (who must have been in their early-to-mid-twenties) were clapping the team of the park when some older guys in their forties started heckling them for applauding a pretty poor performance. It all got a bit unnecessarily heated.

Decent enough match yesterday. I can only echo what most people above me have said in that Airdrie should have had the match won in 90 minutes. Lucas Bernstingl looked pretty decent until his error but it was a calamitous mistake. John Gemmell, who'd been rubbish up until then, took advantage with a superb piece of improvisation. Rovers' penalties were pretty excellent too, big Gemmell's especially.

Given that Stenhousemuir are playing Airdrie next weekend, I was keen to see how they were. Paddy Boyle, Liam Watt and Nathan Blockley looked pretty decent but other than that, no-one really stood out yesterday. Proctor and Fitzpatrick (who looked far better than Morton fans have ever suggested) kept Gemmell quiet. Joe Hamill had some reasonable touches (one of his hooked passes into the penalty box in the first half was superb) but didn't really influence things. Lister was uncharacteristically quiet. Should be an interesting match next week anyway - I think Stenny have enough problems of their own, however.

Special mentions to:

• Bobby Madden, who had a terrible game throughout and missed a number of bad tackles, in particular Marc McKenzie's scissor in the second half
  • Ally Love, the ugly, snarling little runt who played the role of pantomime villain to perfection

I thought Paddy Boyle was OK for about half an hour then was very poor for the remainder of the game. Proctor looked poor as well. Slow and caught out of position too many times.

Gemmel looked 4 stone too heavy but it was a fantastic finish for the equaliser.

I actually thought Rovers looked pretty decent, contrary to what most of their fans seem to think. I've taken them to win their league this season and I'll not be changing my opinion based on yesterday's performance.

He's a Stenny fan fella.

What part is sour grapes? I don't do the patronising compliments of 'well done you wanted it more' etc. We should have won and didn't, but I couldn't care less as it has no reflection on how the season will go.

Last year we beat Hamilton at the same stage and then look how our respective seasons went. Today highlighted a few areas we need to work on which will be useful for the season starting properly next week.

Good post - Bollan is a good long term appointment for Airdrie. Blockley as always shined against Rovers .

I note the words used for our team performance is " dug in" which is normally code for average for large parts of the game. To be fair it's a characteristic we lacked last year. Rovers best player for me were Mick Dunlop,where Mullin added a bit of urgency when he came on.

One final note was the attendance - a piss poor 851 which was not helped by the £15 entry.

No, we have but have discounted it as a lot of shite. He needs to contribute much more than his mere presence.

That proves you didn't get it. :P I wasn't talking about his "mere presence", I was referring to his talking others through the game, making sure the team kept the right shape, decision making, motivation.

Anyone who describes Darren Young as "like a headless chicken" likely has no appreciation of the game at all, so I wouldn't align yourself too closely with the opinions of Paul_Rovers. ;)

That proves you didn't get it. :P I wasn't talking about his "mere presence", I was referring to his talking others through the game, making sure the team kept the right shape, decision making, motivation.

Anyone who describes Darren Young as "like a headless chicken" likely has no appreciation of the game at all, so I wouldn't align yourself too closely with the opinions of Paul_Rovers. ;)

Yeah, and he has to contribute more than that. Are you really saying that we should play the guy so he can ensure we keep the right shape etc. whilst he's unable to pass a ball five yards or provide cover when moves break down.

Oh and My Young was a headless chicken yesterday; big Paul is spot on there.

We can't keep players on the park just because they can hold shape and motivate others around him, he can motivate them as the manager from the side of the park. We would be playing with a man down every week if all he can do is motivate the team. On yesterday's showing alone Young looked like he was done, legs had gone and lacking in footballing ability....Cusack would have been the better choice in my opinion.

Finally, a word on Airdrie, who passed the ball far better than us without creating many chances. Wee Blockley was smashing; I take it he's inconsistent as he always looks like a guy who should be playing at a higher level when I see him.

I wasn't there yesterday but agree with you about Blockley on past performances.

What part is sour grapes? I don't do the patronising compliments of 'well done you wanted it more' etc. We should have won and didn't, but I couldn't care less as it has no reflection on how the season will go.

Last year we beat Hamilton at the same stage and then look how our respective seasons went. Today highlighted a few areas we need to work on which will be useful for the season starting properly next week.

"Couldn't care less about being out the competition as it's a bit of a joke anyway"

That part. It's a competition we have been more than happy to win in the past, and this year had the chance of a draw with Hearts or Hibs in the next round, both teams that would no doubt bring a decent crowd and generate welcome interest and income.

Winning EVERY game has to be the target. Picking and choosing isn't an option.

"Couldn't care less about being out the competition as it's a bit of a joke anyway"

That part. It's a competition we have been more than happy to win in the past, and this year had the chance of a draw with Hearts or Hibs in the next round, both teams that would no doubt bring a decent crowd and generate welcome interest and income.

Winning EVERY game has to be the target. Picking and choosing isn't an option.

Agree. Though it is widely considered a diddy cup, it gives the finalists the change of a wee bit glory, which we've lapped up in the past.

Now there's the added bonus of a potentially big crowd if you draw any of Hearts/Hibs/Rangers.

Not happy to be out at all.

We just did not do enough though.

Archived