Founding fathers of your club who were they, what were they

RobRoyGuy

Having a little discussion with a guy at work today who is from down south but fascinated with football history in particular the people who founded a club, what made them, who were they, what were they, , the story behind them

I found myself not really knowing to much about other clubs and how they came about other than my own. Feel free to put down here your club story from the very early days and i can give him a nudge to this thread where he can in turn wet himself in excitement.

I also said to him junior non league football is in a way unique in that some people who helped form a club are still around today! Something he could not get his head around.

I really should read the section in many fine programmes titled history i know but always find myself bypassing that bit and getting to squads or player profiles then once the game starts forgetting to read back to educate myself.

Royal Albert.

They were formed when two pit teams in the area were joined together to form a football team in 1876 by the local pit owner to take on another landowners team and after the landowners boat the Royal Albert which took the mined coal to be sold .

And the rest is history.....

Boolers from Ladeside of Kilbirnie Bowling Club( still going strong) who were looking for something to do during the winter months.The fitba park ( the old one,not the Vale,which was also used for fete's,gala's etc before the opening of the Public Park) was given to them free of charge ( as was the bowling green) by the owners of Knox's Mill ( still going strong as well).

Neilston FC were a senior side belonging to the SFA and played on a ground on the Main St nearer to the shops. Then in 1901 Neilston Victoria, a junior side were formed and began playing at Brig O'Lea. In August 1902 Neilston FC failed to renew their SFA subscription and Neilston Victoria became the main village team. Was there a mass desertion from the senior side to the junior side?

Neilston Victoria went into abeyance at the start of the second world war and an amateur team, Neilston Thistle, kept football going at Brig O'Lea. In 1945 it was time to get junior football back on again and Neilston Juniors were formed. A wee name change was required as the Vics apparently still owed a few bob here and there :whistle and a change of strip from white with black shorts to red and white.

Just up from Brig O'Lea was a big refugee camp for Norwegians who had fled the Nazi occupation of their homeland and some of the fishermen amongst them made the first goal nets for the new Neilston Juniors at Brig O'Lea.

Petershill Football and Athletic Club were formed on Friday 4th June 1897 at a meeting in Thomson’s Coffee house, Castle Street in the Townhead district of Glasgow. At a meeting in the same venue three weeks earlier, St. Mungo’s Juniors were disbanded after a disastrous season in the Glasgow Junior League. At the end of the meeting, it was stated that anyone interested in forming a new club on a wider scale, to represent the Springburn and Townhead area, should sign their name on a sheet of paper as they left the meeting. Over twenty signatures were obtained, and along with several other interested football fans, the “Peasy” were born.

The club colours of maroon shirts and white shorts were adopted at the suggestion of the match secretary Archie Blue, who was an ardent Hearts fan, and they remain the club colours to this day. Arrol Park, home ground of the defunct St. Mungos, was acquired, and remained the home ground for the first six seasons

That really is the full works !

Canon Edward Lawton. Parish Priest at the time of St Roch's Church on Royston Road.

So creating a football sporting club for the people in the area , must of been a really poor area back in the early 1920's . I have several pictures from jimmy mcgrory book from way back the roch feature heavily obviously, if you want i can email you them to look at , just pm me.

Petershill Football and Athletic Club were formed on Friday 4th June 1897 at a meeting in Thomson’s Coffee house, Castle Street in the Townhead district of Glasgow. At a meeting in the same venue three weeks earlier, St. Mungo’s Juniors were disbanded after a disastrous season in the Glasgow Junior League. At the end of the meeting, it was stated that anyone interested in forming a new club on a wider scale, to represent the Springburn and Townhead area, should sign their name on a sheet of paper as they left the meeting. Over twenty signatures were obtained, and along with several other interested football fans, the “Peasy” were born.

The club colours of maroon shirts and white shorts were adopted at the suggestion of the match secretary Archie Blue, who was an ardent Hearts fan, and they remain the club colours to this day. Arrol Park, home ground of the defunct St. Mungos, was acquired, and remained the home ground for the first six seasons

Great post peasy , good job your man Archie Blue wasn't a celtic supporter eh , then again with a name like blue , not much chance of that ! Where would Arrol Park be today ? any idea ? not your old ground is it ?

The Roy were founded by a group of young men fromt he Eastside area of Kirkintilloch and named after a defunct perthshire curling club , no mention of Rob Roy McGregor ,. On reading a bit of our history briefly when we move into our new stadium it will be our 5th ground . Though we have been on the go now 136 years.

Thanks for the other stories and links .

Archived