Queens Park v Berwick Rangers - The Grand Opening

Looking at the game not much between the teams and I think it will be the same as last season nothing between top and bottom. Last night close game only one player on the park with any class was Steve Notman head and shoulders above any player only player with any composer in a frantic game.just hoping we have him signed on a long term deal.Not sure about the new signings,none of them stood out or did anything to catch the eye.Early days yet,and good to get a win and when Lee is back, that should help.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with the crux of what you're saying about the potential of the squad going forward. I don't think it was particularly pretty to watch, but we managed to compete in the game without playing that well. When you consider where we were last season and that we have a huge number of new players, it has to be seen as progress. That Berwick side would have had us on toast by half-time last season.

Every time will have to fight for every point this season. On the face of it, it's the tightest looking league in many years in this division. I reckon it's still far too early to be getting ahead of ourselves, but if the players continue with the level of application they showed last night and get used to each other and a style of play, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that we won't be giving away points in the manner that we were last season. It's inevitable that we'll have disappointing results, but we have to stay patient and look at the bigger picture.

Really? I'd say there's basically two groups. Six that could finish anywhere up top and four that I wouldn't expect to finish above 6th - Shire, QP, Mo and Elgin. It may be close between them two groups individually, but I can't see it being that bunched up.

Agree wholeheartedly that Elgin, Mo, Shirey and ourselves are favourites for the bottom four places, but there is usually one joker in the pack and I wouldn't be surprised if one of us gate-crashed the party for the top half of the table (i.e. 5th) - QP have the potential to do that, but it will be asking a lot of so many individual good players to be consistent during the first half of the season, but I think we'll be a force to be reckoned with by the time we are restored to the hallowed turf of our rightful abode.

Agree wholeheartedly that Elgin, Mo, Shirey and ourselves are favourites for the bottom four places, but there is usually one joker in the pack and I wouldn't be surprised if one of us gate-crashed the party for the top half of the table (i.e. 5th) - QP have the potential to do that, but it will be asking a lot of so many individual good players to be consistent during the first half of the season, but I think we'll be a force to be reckoned with by the time we are restored to the hallowed turf of our rightful abode.

I agree there is usually a joker and one who flops, but if I had to pick out that one QP wouldn't be the team.

Really? I'd say there's basically two groups. Six that could finish anywhere up top and four that I wouldn't expect to finish above 6th - Shire, QP, Mo and Elgin. It may be close between them two groups individually, but I can't see it being that bunched up.

In the sense that I can't see one team running away with the league, as has been the case a lot of the time in recent seasons. Everybody can take points off of each other and I reckon it's almost guaranteed to be the lowest winning points total in many seasons. In terms of QP, I've said many times that I don't think that it's realistic for us to be expecting anything above 6th or 7th.

Basic tackle for the yellow ,and was a penalty in box, ref was not close enough and decided to give yellow for an alleged dive,hence red card.

Are you for real? It was one of the most obvious dives I have ever seen. There was hardly a complaint on the pitch.

Enjoyed the game, mainly because it was a return to competitive action.

Great opener from a sharp-looking Lavery (though he faded in the 2nd half after dropping ever deeper to get the ball), and for the opening 30 minutes or so we looked in complete control though were hampered by a tendency to overpass the ball and lacked a bit of momentum.

QP equalised with their first opportunity after Fairbairn failed to close down the crosser, and thereafter the game was evenly balanced with the home side looking sharper in attack. Cameron should have gone for his late challenge, and we got another stroke of luck with the Geoff Hurst moment late in the second period. That said, Hoskins was denied a clear penalty when he was barged to the ground whilst making his way on to the end of a one-two in the area, and Russell clipped the post with a close range effort. The stats show we had 17 shots to the Spider's 3, and 9 corners to their 1, though in reality the contest always felt much closer than that. QP were competitive throughout and will be hard to beat wherever their home is.

As for us, Notman put in a brilliant performance, one which hopefully inspires his teammates to greater efforts. Tulloch, Bald and Maxwell were pretty decent too. Willis and Gold had good first halves but faded. Cameron did'nt have much effect on the game and you wonder if, with Lee Currie and Ben Miller back in the frame, his outings will become less frequent. As said earlier, Lavery looked sharp as a tack early on, but poor Andy Russell got negligible service all night. Jacobs, Dalziel and Hoskins all did ok when they came on.

Most importantly, we're through to the next round after a remarkably trouble-free shoot-out. The manager will want to address the sudden tail-off in performance after the opening 3rd, but there were encouraging aspects to our play and hopefully things will come together in time for Arbroath on 9th August.

I note that Craig Sutherland signed for Cowdenbeath and that rumours in the press of Dutot signing are bollocks. Think we're at Armadale or Whitburn tomorrow night, so keep your eyes peeled for trialists.

Each season there is one team which is expected to do great things but fails to deliver. Last season it was the Rovers. This season it could well be Berwick. Obvious failure so far to build on last seasons good second half and lack of strength in depth evidenced by struggling without their big players and breaking down a team of guys who have barely met must be a worry. Possible bottom 4 finish and howls for CCs head by Xmas.

Started off atrociously and i thought it was going to be a pumping, but we gradually came back into it without looking particularly threatening. Liked the look of McPherson. Never stopped running and was glad he got a goal. McElroy looks like he could be useful too, bit of pace about him and likes running at defenders. Also think McGregor at centre half will be a big player for us this season. Can never read too much into the first game of the season, though i hope we don't resort to launching the ball forward as we seemed to do as the game wore on. We look to have capable players in midfield, we should be giving them the ball.

Shaun Fraser's dive was hilarious.

Each season there is one team which is expected to do great things but fails to deliver. Last season it was the Rovers. This season it could well be Berwick. Obvious failure so far to build on last seasons good second half and lack of strength in depth evidenced by struggling without their big players and breaking down a team of guys who have barely met must be a worry. Possible bottom 4 finish and howls for CCs head by Xmas.

This season?

Try every season.

Each July/August the uneducated on here think that we will compete only to have to settle for a mid table finish at best and with the squad so far I see this season as being very much the same.

This season?

Try every season.

Each July/August the uneducated on here think that we will compete only to have to settle for a mid table finish at best and with the squad so far I see this season as being very much the same.

WHS ^^^ :unsure:

Shite managers and lack of leadership has probably been the main problem over the last 5 or so season, not especially lack of quality in the squad IMO.

Archived