Queens Park v Berwick Rangers - The Grand Opening

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty dreadful game of football, but if we can play that badly and not lose, the season might not be that bad. Well, not as bad as last year!

It'll take us a few weeks to settle down with so many new faces.

Berwick were quite physical and seemed to lose the plot towards the end. Good to see Cameron carted off after his shocker of a tackle. Actually he doesn't look that comfortable on the pitch as if he doesn't really want to be there.

One of the photographers behind the Berwick goal said that the ball that rattled off the bar bounced behind the line for what should have been a goal.

Thankfully we've got a few weeks before we tackle the other Rangers in the league cup. Lots of work to be done.

In Gus we trust.

Pretty dreadful game of football, but if we can play that badly and not lose, the season might not be that bad. Well, not as bad as last year!

It'll take us a few weeks to settle down with so many new faces.

Berwick were quite physical and seemed to lose the plot towards the end. Good to see Cameron carted off after his shocker of a tackle. Actually he doesn't look that comfortable on the pitch as if he doesn't really want to be there.

One of the photographers behind the Berwick goal said that the ball that rattled off the bar bounced behind the line for what should have been a goal.

Thankfully we've got a few weeks before we tackle the other Rangers in the league cup. Lots of work to be done.

In Gus we trust.

Was a goal and would have won the game,along with the penalty,photographer caught that too was a foul,we would actually have won 3-1 not bad for a poor performance and 9 debutants who have not played a full game together,hence why I thought in my opinion that improvement will come.

For the first half hour we were totally lacklustre. Our goal was about the first decent thing we produced. Overall, a rather poor game. I wouldn't take it as an accurate indication of how either side's season will go. Both teams can surely improve on that. Still, it was nice not to get beat over the 120 minutes of open play.

Thought the ref had a decent game and Berwick should have capitalised on the 10 man situation.

Would have Ben nice if the second half had skipped straight to extra time it was that bad.

Notman performance outstanding but thought Lavery put a decent amount of effort in as well.

QP actually think they have a chance of not going down :lol: Total gang who have the second coming of John Coughlin in charge. I'd be surprised if you won a game this season, let alone finished 9th.

Good shout on Lavery, was quite impressed with him.

Dont know why your thinking this as Berwick were not that good themselves. We had the better opportunities to win and looked more likely to get the second goal.

QP actually think they have a chance of not going down :lol: Total gang who have the second coming of John Coughlin in charge. I'd be surprised if you won a game this season, let alone finished 9th.

Good shout on Lavery, was quite impressed with him.

Trying too hard imo

Dont know why your thinking this as Berwick were not that good themselves. We had the better opportunities to win and looked more likely to get the second goal.

Good to see someone was watching the same game as myself,spot on not the best performance but yes we did look the more likely to add to the board.

We had some descisions go against us,but think the ref did try to keep the game flowing.

Blowing your own trumpet this early in the season may come back and bite the smart arse fans in this league who think they are magic.

We at least recognise we could do better.

I said earlier 9 debutants but was actually 11,improvement will come of this I am sure.

Putting all the insidious nonsense from our former (soon to be restored) bitches for a moment, I had no great expectations for yesterday as it will take a few games before 9 debutants can gel as a team, so perhaps our friends from "what's it called" (Cumbernauld / East Kilbride / tba) will be permitted to enjoy their fifteen minutes of fame for just a little bit longer.

Instead I was concentrating on individual performances, and was pleasantly surprised by what I saw. It's been widely suggested that Gus's plundering of the Juniors (particularly in the 26/27 age bracket) would see Queen's adopt a more industrial style of play, but that was far from the case yesterday. I thought that skill levels were good, and it was a joy to see us play a pressing game when without the ball, and to try to maintain a high tempo when in possession.

A top half place is probably beyond reasonable anticipation, but even this early I genuinely can't see us being the fodder that we were last season, and 7th or 6th would do me given the huge changes that have taken place during the last four months. Whether intentional or otherwise, a benefit of the age group we now have is that it's likely we'll retain most of the squad for next season too, thereby providing us with some much needed stability to launch a more serious assault in 2015/16.

Far too early to be spotting green shoots of recovery? I don't think so. Man for man, MacPherson has assembled a far superior squad to what we had last year, and I saw a lot of potential yesterday. I say this fully expecting to be shot down in flames on here over the next few days, but I'd rather be in our position than Elgin, Mo or Shirey right now!

Putting all the insidious nonsense from our former (soon to be restored) bitches for a moment, I had no great expectations for yesterday as it will take a few games before 9 debutants can gel as a team, so perhaps our friends from "what's it called" (Cumbernauld / East Kilbride / tba) will be permitted to enjoy their fifteen minutes of fame for just a little bit longer.

Instead I was concentrating on individual performances, and was pleasantly surprised by what I saw. It's been widely suggested that Gus's plundering of the Juniors (particularly in the 26/27 age bracket) would see Queen's adopt a more industrial style of play, but that was far from the case yesterday. I thought that skill levels were good, and it was a joy to see us play a pressing game when without the ball, and to try to maintain a high tempo when in possession.

A top half place is probably beyond reasonable anticipation, but even this early I genuinely can't see us being the fodder that we were last season, and 7th or 6th would do me given the huge changes that have taken place during the last four months. Whether intentional or otherwise, a benefit of the age group we now have is that it's likely we'll retain most of the squad for next season too, thereby providing us with some much needed stability to launch a more serious assault in 2015/16.

Far too early to be spotting green shoots of recovery? I don't think so. Man for man, MacPherson has assembled a far superior squad to what we had last year, and I saw a lot of potential yesterday. I say this fully expecting to be shot down in flames on here over the next few days, but I'd rather be in our position than Elgin, Mo or Shirey right now!

A fine assesment,and once these lads are gelled we shall see a force to be reckoned with. I previously said i see this team improving,and progressing as i also saw a lot of skill and when they play more games as a unit i see a position near the top end of the table,rsgardless of the jokers assumptions,well said sir.

I agree with the crux of what you're saying about the potential of the squad going forward. I don't think it was particularly pretty to watch, but we managed to compete in the game without playing that well. When you consider where we were last season and that we have a huge number of new players, it has to be seen as progress. That Berwick side would have had us on toast by half-time last season.

Every time will have to fight for every point this season. On the face of it, it's the tightest looking league in many years in this division. I reckon it's still far too early to be getting ahead of ourselves, but if the players continue with the level of application they showed last night and get used to each other and a style of play, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that we won't be giving away points in the manner that we were last season. It's inevitable that we'll have disappointing results, but we have to stay patient and look at the bigger picture.

Archived