The Worlds Worst Pubs

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worst pub I've been in lately was Denholm's in Glasgow City Centre, which I was dragged to by my pals after a pal's gig at the Buff Club... my word.

Is this on the corner across from central station? If so I got punched in there for refusing to go home with a heavily pregnant lassie who had been sat at the bar necking pints of cider with her mates. Was in there with a girl I worked with and The woman's toilet didn't have a cubicle door, it had a shower curtain.

My Dad told me about a truly awful pub he was at back in the 1960s. Warm beer even warmer inside and the beer was of rather poor quality. It was in Maputo, Mozambique though... It was basically a stall with a cover.

He and his pals (my Dad was a ship's cook at the time) went and asked a group of Portuguese guys where a decent bar was and they told them about a place two or three streets away and it nice place owned by a Portuguese family with decent drinks and food. They had a lot of imported stuff from Portugal.

Personally, although I don't drink alcohol myself, I've been in a few tough boozers in Greenock and some other places in the West of Scotland. I thought I was in a decent bar in Greenock once, in an end of course meal then drink with college friends (I had an orange of course!) and a guy got smashed in the face with a glass when I was leaving which was pretty nasty. In that particular bar, apparently it isn't that common. It was the James Watt Bar, a popular student haunt.

I was able to get to my parent's house from that link, via Borough Briggs, The Rising Sun and The Golden Pheasant! :lol:

Didn't know there was a Grapes in Edinburgh.

By coincidence though, there's one in Govan (bedecked with Union Jack bunting ) and another one in East Belfast (likewise).

Must be a chain.

I thought you said it was bunting?

there was a big ruckus outside and the police locked us in for 3 hours. It was hellish.

Oh yes, 3 hours in a pub with nothing to do. Decisions, decisions......I empathise with the hell. I hope you received the suitable level of councilling, Tarquin. :rolleyes:

I mind being underage in Elgin and the rumours that used to curculate about the clientele and sawdust floor of the Ionic. Went in once and the rumours were sadly true.

Last time I was up I popped my head in and noticed the sawdust floor has been upgraded to Lino.

I don't remember a sawdust floor in the Ionic - mind you it's 40+ years since I wa sin it, maybe it upgraded to a sawdust floor after 1973.

I watched someone eat their gastro-esq chips with their hands in Bearsden once. I was truly appalled.

Never been in this pub but I have always been intrigued:

IMGP9329.jpg

The old Joanna's night club in Portsmouth was an education for many a young man, there were some big horrible ropey old burds who were well into their 50's who would frequent it dragging young sailors back to give them an education. The bouncers weren't really the 'ask questions first' type either. A pretty grotty place overall but it had a certain charm I suppose, I did go more than once....

The old Joanna's night club in Portsmouth was an education for many a young man, there were some big horrible ropey old burds who were well into their 50's who would frequent it dragging young sailors back to give them an education. The bouncers weren't really the 'ask questions first' type either. A pretty grotty place overall but it had a certain charm I suppose, I did go more than once....

Ah Spanners. Many a nice young lady was there looking for a good looking Matelot like my good self.

My particular favourite was the palm tree in the middle of the dance floor that everyone has a piss in.

Ah Spanners. Many a nice young lady was there looking for a good looking Matelot like my good self.

My particular favourite was the palm tree in the middle of the dance floor that everyone has a piss in.

Showing your age shippers, the palm tree was a looooooong time ago, before mine obviously :rolleyes:

Was more of a Jesters Rating tbh.

When I was in the Pompey exercise area's I was more of an Emwah's rating, Spanners for sundodgers :) but I spent the vast majority of my time in Harry Fassers but as an RA for the vast majority of my time. Jesters was an other establishment with a certain je nais se quoi as they say in Italy :unsure2:

Is this on the corner across from central station? If so I got punched in there for refusing to go home with a heavily pregnant lassie who had been sat at the bar necking pints of cider with her mates. Was in there with a girl I worked with and The woman's toilet didn't have a cubicle door, it had a shower curtain.

I've been in a pub in Skopje which was the basement of a tower block. The toilet was unisex with a curtain instead of a door and being pished I decided to sing a song to show the bog was occupied. What the Macedonians thought of my rendition of "Bonny Dundee" (which was the only song I could think of at the time) went unrecorded. To be fair the pub wasn't at all rough and the Macedonians were a friendly bunch.

The Penny Farthing in Liverpool. £1.65 a pint but the place is a stinking hovel. Full Liverpool's finest alkies, shoplifters, benefit cheats and pish stained tramps. As soon as you walk in you are hit with the overwhelming stench of pish, vomit and bleach. The bar staff are as rough as the punters and the carpet is a sticky, squelchy mess.

post-34837-0-27433800-1405905868_thumb.j

Closer to home - The Norseman, Greenock.

The quickest I've ever drank a pint of beer was in Benidorm. A bigot fest hovel run by a Norwegian burd. Can't remember the name of the place but it was decked out with Rangers/Orange Order regalia. In and out in under two minutes.

Archived