The distance from Kilmarnock to Ayr

As we are now in excess of 20 years since Ayr Utd finished above the mighty Kilmarnock in the Scottish league standings, I thought we should mark the anniversary and start a weekly check of how many places Kilmarnock are above Ayr in the league system.

Luckily (for Ayr) there have been no games played this season as yet so they are currently quite high up in the League One table for a change.

Currently there are 16 teams between Kilmarnock and Ayr in the league standings.

I will update weekly once the season starts.

You're welcome.

As we are now in excess of 20 years since Ayr Utd finished above the mighty Kilmarnock in the Scottish league standings, I thought we should mark the anniversary and start a weekly check of how many places Kilmarnock are above Ayr in the league system.

Luckily (for Ayr) there have been no games played this season as yet so they are currently quite high up in the League One table for a change.

Currently there are 16 teams between Kilmarnock and Ayr in the league standings.

I will update weekly once the season starts.

You're welcome.

You have been in about Dyna again .....bad boy :P

I remember Ayr beating us on penalties in the league cup in 2001 ( one of Boyds first games ) and an Ayr fan saying "See you next year" after the game.

I'm still waiting.

I take it the close season has been pretty boring up the road?

It's been quite the opposite in fact. A mass exodus followed by plenty of rumours, signings and news. Not to even mention the new synthetic surface being laid, the new board taking over and the departure of Sandy Clark.

The problem is that some Kilmarnock fans remain obsessed with Ayr and vice-versa, even with there being far better candidates to direct their hatred towards. I hate Rangers and Celtic, I don't hate Ayr United - not even close. Whenever we play mind you, I'll be Ayr's biggest detractor for 90 minutes, but after that I want to see them do well. I certainly wouldn't be celebrating their perceived slide when I hope they can one day win promotion to the top division alongside us.

Football in Ayrshire is on the up, with both clubs' youth set-ups producing great prospects and that can only be good for the region. I know of a few youngsters who have decided to stay with Ayr or Killie instead of going up the road because they know they'll now get their chance. If clueless idiots would still rather jump on the next Scotrail service to Glasgow instead of watching their local side filled with their own youth graduates then that's their loss.

In the last 20 years Ayr have been relegated and promoted numerous times, made it to a national final & semi-final in the same week, had a selection of the worst managers in the clubs history, almost went bust due to a tax bill, had 2 stadium plans knocked back, been sponsored by the son of a drug dealing pig farmer who is the head of one of the worlds biggest gambling sites, who in his own words promised us tits and fireworks and are currently under the command of a clown of a manager who is only still in a job because our chairman couldn't get rid of him.

So we have not had time to give you lot much thought...............

Nice to see you are still obsessed with us though, It's cute

Also, it's almost 30 years since the last time you won at San Somerseto losers

been sponsored by the son of a drug dealing pig farmer who is the head of one of the worlds biggest gambling sites, who in his own words promised us tits and fireworks and are currently under the command of a clown of a manager who is only still in a job because our chairman couldn't get rid of him.

To be fair we've had our fair share of tits playing week in week out since he started his sponsorship.

There is no better game. Old rugby park was just the most exciting atmosphere I've ever been involved in. Somerset now is the only time this fixture can hold it's proper aesthetic with tight crowds swaying and surging. Hampden was just awful.

Did Killie install a plastic pitch? I didn't realise that. How was it funded (assuming it actually was which would make a change for Killie). Rugby Park always had a great surface.

For the record I have an old-school hatred of Kilmarnock. c***s!

Hang on a minute, let's look at a few facts surrounding your time above us and put a little perspective on it shall we?

You were promoted in second place in the old 2 up 2 down days but were protected from relegation by the ridiculous Self Preservation League 1 relegation place. Can't be arsed checking but I know you finished 2nd bottom at least twice in that period though it may have been more. One of them may even have been when Gretna imploded so don't come on here giving it your high and feckin' mighty attitude! Methinks the record would have been significantly different if the deck had not been stacked in your favour as that 11 million debt would have killed you, as your own chairman admitted.

The problem is that some Kilmarnock fans remain obsessed with Ayr and vice-versa, even with there being far better candidates to direct their hatred towards. I hate Rangers and Celtic, I don't hate Ayr United - not even close. Whenever we play mind you, I'll be Ayr's biggest detractor for 90 minutes, but after that I want to see them do well. I certainly wouldn't be celebrating their perceived slide when I hope they can one day win promotion to the top division alongside us.

Completely agree with this. Well said mate.

Archived