Euro Opposition Start Earlier - Why do we not change?

Is someone seriously trying to say the Irish league isn't an absolutely laughable standard?

Ah, but one of their clubs ducked 'n dived their way into the EL groupstage before taking an absolute skelping, don't you know...

Aberdeen has achieved more in European football in the last 6yrs than the entire League of Ireland in the groupstage era.

Ah, but one of their clubs ducked 'n dived their way into the EL groupstage before taking an absolute skelping, don't you know...

That team that have apparently done so much better than any Scottish club had to change their goalkeeper just before the Champions League ties v Copenhagen as their star player, one Alan Mannus, was so desperate to get out of the ROI football set up he preferred to leave their league champions, Champions League and Europa League football to sit on St Johnstone's bench for a season waiting for his first team opportunity in the SPL.

Not playing for SPL mid table diddies > playing for ROI's most successful club.

This isn't true.

I can only call it as I see it and having spent most of my working life working with mostly English boys, quite a few have a team they 'follow' in Scotland. Unfortunately there's a lot of Celtic/Rangers (only 2 teams in Scotland pish) but there are some who follow others. There is definitely less interest in our game than there was even 10 years ago due to the strength of the English game and the perceived level of the Scottish game but there is still an interest which in my opinion would only increase if there is Scottish football on the TV during the English closed season.

As I said earlier, I'd only be keen to go to summer football if the money involved made it worthwhile and it would be with a tinge of regret but if the money was getting put in to make our game a better 'product' I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Archived