Assisted Dying

Ludo*1

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I want to die, that is my right.

The state are forcing me to live despite my suffering both physical and mental is nothing more than torture.

I don't disagree - it should the decision of the ill person.

I just a worry that it becomes, as many things do, the start of a slippery slope. To start with they have to administer the medicine themselves. How long before the protest of it being unfair on those who are unable? Or you have to have less than 6 months to live but how long before it's in court when people with a year to go etc is argued as being just as bad.

I just a worry that it becomes, as many things do, the start of a slippery slope. To start with they have to administer the medicine themselves. How long before the protest of it being unfair on those who are unable? Or you have to have less than 6 months to live but how long before it's in court when people with a year to go etc is argued as being just as bad.

No, you're missing the point. We're talking about assisted suicide, not suicide. The whole point of it being assisted is that they need help to do it.

What are people's thoughts on a legal form of suicide before the suffering party reaches the stage of intolerable pain or whatever? I'm thinking along the lines of someone who has been diagnosed with something such as Motor Neurone Disease or the like who wishes to end their life before the point where every day challenges become a struggle.

What are people's thoughts on a legal form of suicide before the suffering party reaches the stage of intolerable pain or whatever? I'm thinking along the lines of someone who has been diagnosed with something such as Motor Neurone Disease or the like who wishes to end their life before the point where every day challenges become a struggle.

Bottom line is people should be free to choose how they live their lives, or end them. If somebody knows they're checking out, the choice should be theirs whether they want to wait till the suffering becomes intolerable or quit while they're ahead as it were while they've still got some quality of life.

It's the biggest personal decision anyone could ever make, and it should be theirs and theirs alone.

The 'slippery slope' argument is certainly used a lot. It's very rarely a good one either.

? Well, they are not going to be charged over it in that scenario.

Bing (2), on 18 Jul 2014 - 21:12, said:

? Well, they are not going to be charged over it in that scenario.

You're missing what the point was in the post. If it fails they are, but again that wasn't the point of my post.

The 'slippery slope' argument is certainly used a lot. It's very rarely a good one either.

Once sometime becomes acceptable then the next logical thing becomes acceptable and so on. Sometimes it's better not to start.

You're missing what the point was in the post. If it fails they are, but again that wasn't the point of my post.

Yet you were on about before life was a struggle.

If they can't hook up a noose then, frankly, tough.

Once sometime becomes acceptable then the next logical thing becomes acceptable and so on. Sometimes it's better not to start.

Things only become acceptable when we judge them to be acceptable. The age of consent for gay sex was lowered to 16 a few years ago, that doesn't mean that, now everyone accepts that was an acceptable decision, it's be lowered to 12 any time soon.

Bing (2), on 18 Jul 2014 - 21:33, said:

Yet you were on about before life was a struggle.

If they can't hook up a noose then, frankly, tough.

'Hook(ing) up a noose' can be extremely painful death if not done correctly, no-one deserves to die a death that will in one way or another put the victim and the victim's family through a great deal of anguish, much more than another easing to death.

Things only become acceptable when we judge them to be acceptable. The age of consent for gay sex was lowered to 16 a few years ago, that doesn't mean that, now everyone accepts that was an acceptable decision, it's be lowered to 12 any time soon.

Many years back it was illegal to be homosexual and you went to jail. I this instance it's a good thing but you can still see a path of gradually changing opinions and permissions over time.

Many years back it was illegal to be homosexual and you went to jail. I this instance it's a good thing but you can still see a path of gradually changing opinions and permissions over time.

Eh, yes. But we've never started to make bad or unacceptable decisions simply because 'that;s the way it's heading'.

You're making the case for change to happen gradually, which is obvious. The 'slippery slope' is about eventually ending up at an extreme simply because we've taken a few steps in a particular direction. That's very different.

If everyone listened to the slippery slope argument, we'd probably still be living in the dark ages.

Eh, yes. But we've never started to make bad or unacceptable decisions simply because 'that;s the way it's heading'.

You're making the case for change to happen gradually, which is obvious. The 'slippery slope' is about eventually ending up at an extreme simply because we've taken a few steps in a particular direction. That's very different.

If everyone listened to the slippery slope argument, we'd probably still be living in the dark ages.

I'm sure assisted death was allowed in the Dark Ages,..............

Archived