Assisted Dying

Ludo*1

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My step dad lost his fight with Motor Neurone Disease earlier on this year. He was given between one year to 18 months to live, he was only 43 years old. Amazingly he doubled his life expectancy, lasting 36 months. All the way through his illness, I had convinced myself that if he asked for my help to end his suffering then I would've done it.

He was bed bound for almost a year, possibly more. He could barely communicate due to the muscles starting to fail in his face and neck, at the end he was paralysed from the neck down, the only thing keeping him alive was a ventilator. At the same time of this happening, his internal organs were starting to fail one by one, his brain was still fully functional throughout all off this. In the last two weeks of his life, he had two syringe drives and as was alluded to earlier in the thread by 19QOS19, once they come into play then the outcome is inevitable.

On Monday the 28th of April after a Doctor had just left our house, my step dad started asking us to switch his ventilator off. I'll be honest, I simply couldn't do it and understandably neither could my mum. It was not because of any legal ramifications if we had assisted him to end his life. It was because he would've suffered more because he was concious and it wouldn't have been easy for him or anyone else who witnessed his final moments. The doctor (our local GP) came back out to our house 5-10 minutes later, waited for my bother and other family members to arrive and administered the final dose of morphine. The GP didn't know how to turn off his ventilator, so unfortunately I had to switch it off.

Wullie passed away peacefully in his sleep 10-15 minutes later.

It's all well and good saying that you would help someone you loved who had a terminal illness or had no quality of life end it all but once you are in that situation, it becomes extremely difficult, it is an absolutely horrific situation and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I honestly hope that I never have to witness or do anything like that ever again.

Obviously this is an issue close to my heart and I can empathise with both sides of the argument but I support assisted suicide (or whatever you want to call it) 100% even though I was terrified and scared of actually doing it when Wullie asked me too. In my opinion, it will become legal in my lifetime and with the proper safeguards in place, hopefully people can die on their own terms peacefully without pain and with dignity.

Shit thing is as it stands life insurance policies tend to not pay out of its a suicide. It could leave partners,children and loved ones who have spent years caring for someone with nothing anf barely employable due to the commitment of carers over the years.

My step dad lost his fight with Motor Neurone Disease earlier on this year. He was given between one year to 18 months to live, he was only 43 years old. Amazingly he doubled his life expectancy, lasting 36 months. All the way through his illness, I had convinced myself that if he asked for my help to end his suffering then I would've done it.

He was bed bound for almost a year, possibly more. He could barely communicate due to the muscles starting to fail in his face and neck, at the end he was paralysed from the neck down, the only thing keeping him alive was a ventilator. At the same time of this happening, his internal organs were starting to fail one by one, his brain was still fully functional throughout all off this. In the last two weeks of his life, he had two syringe drives and as was alluded to earlier in the thread by 19QOS19, once they come into play then the outcome is inevitable.

On Monday the 28th of April after a Doctor had just left our house, my step dad started asking us to switch his ventilator off. I'll be honest, I simply couldn't do it and understandably neither could my mum. It was not because of any legal ramifications if we had assisted him to end his life. It was because he would've suffered more because he was concious and it wouldn't have been easy for him or anyone else who witnessed his final moments. The doctor (our local GP) came back out to our house 5-10 minutes later, waited for my bother and other family members to arrive and administered the final dose of morphine. The GP didn't know how to turn off his ventilator, so unfortunately I had to switch it off.

Wullie passed away peacefully in his sleep 10-15 minutes later.

It's all well and good saying that you would help someone you loved who had a terminal illness or had no quality of life end it all but once you are in that situation, it becomes extremely difficult, it is an absolutely horrific situation and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I honestly hope that I never have to witness or do anything like that ever again.

Obviously this is an issue close to my heart and I can empathise with both sides of the argument but I support assisted suicide (or whatever you want to call it) 100% even though I was terrified and scared of actually doing it when Wullie asked me too. In my opinion, it will become legal in my lifetime and with the proper safeguards in place, hopefully people can die on their own terms peacefully without pain and with dignity.

Sad stuff mate, my heart goes out to you.

I think your post demonstrates even more the need for professional people to get organised and help families out so the end of life can be dignified, quick and pain free.

Very immotive subject and heart breaking for those suffering and their family and friends who may be put in an impossible position.

A big worry for me is how this would be implemented and by whom. I would fear for old folk stuck in some of the poorer run care homes and the likes of ATOS being given a government contract to implement any legislation.

A very difficult situation as people with similar conditions would obviously have different wishes.

I recall a friend's anecdote about someone who made up their mind to go to the length of going to Dignitas due to their situation. Went with two close family members and apparently the process was explained. After still wanting to go ahead the process was begun in terms of the drug treatment. The thing was the individual was a bit of a joker and whilst still in the lucid phase told their brother he had changed his mind.

Before they could react he told them to stop greeting and remember him for who he was. A brave individual who had come to a brave decision.

Archived