The Scottish

Not sure why no-one else has put up the Preliminary Round draw, but have copied from the LL forum - well done Coldstream - missed a bullet there?

Lothian Thistle HV v Burntisland Shipyard

Auchinleck Talbots v St Cuthbert Wanderers

Hurlford United v Edinburgh University

Glasgow University v Cove Rangers

Vale of Leithen v Gala Fairydean Rovers

Newtown Stewart v Hawick Royal Albert

Edinburgh City v Fort William

Wigtown & Bladnoch v Civil Service Strollers

Bit of a shame to have two EoS against each other, already but at least CSS & HRA both look reasonably do-able (NO OFFENCE to SoS league before I get shouted down) but in the LL, again, Vale v Gala means one Borders team won't make the actual cup. Ties on 16th August, apparently.

There were a lot of perils in the draw for the EOS League clubs - as trying to beat the likes of a champion Junior, a decent Lowland club, or even the likes of a Lothian Thistle or Cove Rangers, would be a very tall order. In that respect the draw was reasonably kind.

Hawick have got perhaps the weakest team in the draw apart from Glasgow Uni and Golspie, albeit away - but that's a decent draw for them.

Civil Service will need to play well to beat a club which ran away with the SOS League but it's possible, maybe after a replay.

Lothian will be happy with the draw but it's a big ask for Shippy who will be disappointed.

Depends what you think we think.

I imagine the bookies will have Newton Stewart as favourites, and that would certainly be justified... Newton Stewart finished 3rd in the SOS League. Whilst Hawick finished 7th in the EOS League First Division. (Although that was a considerable improvement on season after season of finishing rock bottom!!). I imagine that from Newton Stewart's point of view they could hardly have envisaged a better tie.

Hawick haven't won a Scottish Cup tie since 1980. Newton won a Scottish Cup tie last season, beating HL tableproppers Fort William after a replay.

Does not change the fact that it's a decent draw for Hawick though, in terms of what was going. You would want a home tie of course, and you would have probably wanted Glasgow University, Golspie Sutherland or maybe Burntisland Shipyard, before you would have wanted Newton Stewart. But if Hawick are to win their first Scottish Cup tie for 34yrs there are not going to be many better opportunities than the weakest entrant from the SOS League. That's just the way of things now considering their standing. It's a tough tie, but most of the other possibilities were tougher still.

Dunno what sort of team Newton have yet could end up being few guys from juniors playing for them under new managent, if that's the case could be strong. Also Wigtown played lowland league teams on 3 occasions last year winning all games and actually dominated games from start to finish in these matches. IIRC we beat CSS last time we played them up there 2-1 4/5 years back now

Newton stewart will give Hawick a better game than you think

I did say "reasonably do-able" - just compared to being drawn against Auchinleck, etc. It's up to HRA to make the most of the best tie they could get, but that does not mean I think it will be a walkover at all. A lot depends on what we think the relative standard of the two leagues (Eos 1st v SOS) is nowadays. You'd have to assume that both have got weaker due to the departure of some decent clubs (although Selkirk were not setting the heather alight when in the EoS!), but which one has got weakest? And of course both teams will have gained and lost players in the close season.

Depends what you think we think.

I imagine the bookies will have Newton Stewart as favourites, and that would certainly be justified... Newton Stewart finished 3rd in the SOS League. Whilst Hawick finished 7th in the EOS League First Division. (Although that was a considerable improvement on season after season of finishing rock bottom!!). I imagine that from Newton Stewart's point of view they could hardly have envisaged a better tie.

Hawick haven't won a Scottish Cup tie since 1980. Newton won a Scottish Cup tie last season, beating HL tableproppers Fort William after a replay.

Does not change the fact that it's a decent draw for Hawick though, in terms of what was going. You would want a home tie of course, and you would have probably wanted Glasgow University, Golspie Sutherland or maybe Burntisland Shipyard, before you would have wanted Newton Stewart. But if Hawick are to win their first Scottish Cup tie for 34yrs there are not going to be many better opportunities than the weakest entrant from the SOS League. That's just the way of things now considering their standing. It's a tough tie, but most of the other possibilities were tougher still.

Im sure Hawick beat Coldstream in the scottish fairly recently?!

From what I can see I think you're thinking of the old SFA Qualifying Cup South: in 2006-07 they beat Coldstream 1-0 in R1 then lost at Meadowbank also 1-0. Next SQCS victory before that was in 2002-03, v Newton Stewart interestingly (0-2 away).

EDIT: They last won a Scottish Cup tie in 1980 - when they beat Whitehill Welfare 4-1 at Albert Park, after a 1-1 draw at Ferguson Park. They drew 2-2 at home v Cowdenbeath in the next round, losing the replay 3-0.

They last won an away tie in 1968 (6-1 at St Cuthbert Wanderers).

Infact they've only ever won 4 ties, with 4 draws and 17 defeats.

1966-67 - Preliminary R1 - beat Gala Fairydean 4-1 at home

1967-68 - Preliminary R1 - beat Vale of Leithen 4-0 at home

1967-68 - Preliminary R2 - beat St Cuthbert Wanderes 6-1 away

1980-81 - First Round replay - beat Whitehill Welfare 4-1 at home

From what I can see I think you're thinking of the old SFA Qualifying Cup South: in 2006-07 they beat Coldstream 1-0 in R1 then lost at Meadowbank also 1-0. Next SQCS victory before that was in 2002-03, v Newton Stewart interestingly (0-2 away). EDIT: They last won a Scottish Cup tie in 1980 - when they beat Whitehill Welfare 4-1 at Albert Park, after a 1-1 draw at Ferguson Park. They drew 2-2 at home v Cowdenbeath in the next round, losing the replay 3-0. They last won an away tie in 1968 (6-1 at St Cuthbert Wanderers). Infact they've only ever won 4 ties, with 4 draws and 17 defeats. 1966-67 - Preliminary R1 - beat Gala Fairydean 4-1 at home 1967-68 - Preliminary R1 - beat Vale of Leithen 4-0 at home1967-68 - Preliminary R2 - beat St Cuthbert Wanderes 6-1 away 1980-81 - First Round replay - beat Whitehill Welfare 4-1 at home

That 1980 game im fairly certain we won the qualifying cup yet drawing the Albert in the big Scottish could nae beat them.

to this day Albion rovers only league side ww have beaten in the Scottish that was a Tuesday night in 1987 going on to lose to st.johnstone at muirton park ??

Home tie please or like last season bring the "big league" teams back to rosewell.

Howay the lads !!!

That 1980 game im fairly certain we won the qualifying cup yet drawing the Albert in the big Scottish could nae beat them.

to this day Albion rovers only league side ww have beaten in the Scottish that was a Tuesday night in 1987 going on to lose to the current holders (but no then !) at muirton park ??

Home tie please or like last season bring the "big league" teams back to rosewell.

Howay the lads !!!

Still amazes me how poor a record ww have against league teams in the Scottish when you consider how dominant they were in eos, particularly the 90s. There are a number of far less successful clubs that boast a better Scottish record v league teams. What's their record like v highland league and junior teams?

Whitehill's only game against Juniors was a narrow 2-1 loss at Bo'ness (2012-13 R2).

Decent results v HL tbf.

Going back lost 4-2 v Inverurie (2013-14 R1); won 2-0 at Lossiemouth and 4-3 v Wick Academy (2012-13 R1-R2); lost 1-0 at Cove (2008-09 R2); won 3-1 at Lossiemouth (2007-08 R1); won 3-0 at Elgin [still HL then] (1996-97 R1); won 2-1 at Fraserburgh after 2-2 draw (1995-96 R2).

Despite only once beating Scottish League opposition, they've managed a lot of draws.

Archived