Why Are Many Drivers So Anti-Cyclist In This Country?

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I make a point of spraying my screen wash the moment I pass a cyclist. Thats all I've got to say on the matter

Funny you should mention this

A guy did this to me on Saturday whilst also swerving inwards towards me at the same time as he passed.

Obviously though it was really funny

However, he didn't account for the road works just around the corner and a red traffic light.

Let's just say he wasn't as much of a Billy Big Bawz when I confronted him and he ended up apologising and admitting he was a p***k!

Irrespective of the speed limit, you're driving too fast if you come around a corner and can't stop for an obstruction. If it was a broken down car and you hit it, you'd automatically be done for driving without due care and attention.

Mopeds are banned from motorways for a reason. The same should apply to 8 mph traffic on A roads. At least there are hard shoulders on a motorway.

Funny you should mention this A guy did this to me on Saturday whilst also swerving inwards towards me at the same time as he passed. Obviously though it was really funny However, he didn't account for the road works just around the corner and a red traffic light. Let's just say he wasn't as much of a Billy Big Bawz when I confronted him and he ended up apologising and admitting he was a p***k!

A_r7wdFCAAACtyu.jpg

It's pretty much all been said. I live and work in rural South Ayrshire and drive and cycle a lot. There's actually very little aggro but you do get impatient drivers who pass cyclists where it's not safe and then cut you up as they pull back in inches in front of you. The long forestry lorries are scary mainly because they take ages to pass you. But by and large drivers and cyclists co-exist reasonably well.

I sometimes cycle on the roads, try to avoid it as much as possible but if i do, i make sure i am not an obstacle to other road users. The thing is that i am licensed and have suitable experience to ride/ drive from a motorbike up to STGO cat3 trucks (big fookers), i have done the tests, i have the insurance and i have been trained and tested to prove my ability. Now on the other hand, any retard can go into toys'r'us buy a bike and head out onto public roads, no training, no proof of ability, no insurance and more importantly no sense of the danger involved in what they are doing.

How far would i get on my motorbike with no helmet, no lights, no licence, no insurance and completely disregarding driving laws ? A lost licence i reckon. That is why if i'm out in a truck i squeeze by the idiots, like my women, i give them a good two inches and prefer it if they are upside down in a hedge and bleeding.

So much hate against cyclists not wearing helmets. Why?

I'll state for the record that I'm a long term car driver who got a bike last week 30 years since I last rode. No helmet yet as I'm not convinced the argument to wear one has been proved yet.

Hate cyclists that don't obey traffic lights, other than that they're fine.

I have an interesting story about that.

Unfortunately it'll have to wait until after the court case in November though.

I'll state for the record that I'm a long term car driver who got a bike last week 30 years since I last rode. No helmet yet as I'm not convinced the argument to wear one has been proved yet.

I'm 56 and bought a helmet for the first time last year. You are correct to question as you do, though, as the benefit is debatable. Wouldn't do much good if one of those log lorries went over my head, but probably of some value in a pothole induced fall. Peer pressure led me to buy one - other cyclists disapproving, and doing the Pedal for Scotland ride and being one of about six riders out of 9000 without a lid.

I commute to work most days by bike - most of the journey is off road until I reach the city centre where I've 4 sets of lights to go through. You can guarantee that at least 2 of these lights there will be a car stopped in the green part before the lights designed for cyclists.

Maybe if there was a 3 point penalty for such an offence drivers would think a bit more, and I'd be less tempted to sneak through on the green man to ensure a safe get away

Because you should take a bit of personal responsibility for your own safety. (In fact, the vast majority is your own responsibility!)

Why wouldn't you spend - what? - £5 on a helmet to offer a degree of protection? Debating their depth of their merit aside.

You only have to spend five minutes in or around traffic to see that, as groups, pedestrians, cyclists and car drivers include a high number of utter p***ks. And the worst are generally the ones who bitterly complain about the other groups, as they're utterly oblivious to their own shortcomings.

The common denominator is that humans are involved. We're absolute c***s of the highest order. It's counter-intuitive, but the roads will be a much safer place when vehicle control is entirely automated. And even then, people will probably still fling shite at each other on the way past.

When I cycle I generally find most drivers treat you properly, give enough room, only passing when save etc, but it only takes one fanny not to and a funeral director has some extra business. I typically behave as I would driving, not going through red lights, indicating in due time etc.

I do use pavements on occasion, but only if the road is busy and the pavement is empty. I don't particularly understand the ban as a point of law, particularly in rural areas, basic physics tells you the difference in momentum is much more between a car and a cyclist than between a pedestrian and a cyclist in a lot of situations(the situations where I would use a pavement), couple that with a much lower probability of a collision and it doesn't really add up.

As a driver it can be a bit frustrating to meet a cyclist when their is little opertunity to pass but as said the actual delay in your journey time is minimal so it's not worth getting angry about. tour de France wannabes can GTF tho, I'd like to see some form of regulation/recommendation on group sizes , I don't think they should really be anymore than 4 in the one group, 20-30 taking up the road is needless and nearly impossible to pass without a fully clear road.

In terms of the should be licensed/registered/insured/taxed their no need , yes ideally their would be more education for cyclists but everything else just seems pointless, licensing/registering seems a fair amount of cost for little benefit, insurance is similar, for all the damage cyclists cause I don't think much would need to be payed out, and road tax is laughable, damage to roads/environment is barely noticeable, and their are already vehicles that cause more damage that are exempt.

I really can't understand why anyone wouldn't wear a helmet, surely it's better to wear a helmet should you be unlucky enough to smash your napper into a windscreen?

I've not had a fall on the roads where I've needed a helmet (yet) but I have taken a tumble on the trails where a helmet has, if not saved my life, at least stopped me from having to visiting the neurologist.

Didn't do my (broken) foot any good right enough. :lol:

I really can't understand why anyone wouldn't wear a helmet, surely it's better to wear a helmet should you be unlucky enough to smash your napper into a windscreen?

Helmets are not for collisions with cars. They are for falling off your bike. They are only guaranteed for collisions up to 12mph.

Incidentally per billion miles travelled, cycling is safer than walking.

Relative risk of different forms of transport, Great Britain: 2011

Casualty rate per billion vehicle miles

Killed Killed or seriously injured

Car driver 3 26

Pedestrian * 42 542

Pedal cyclist 35 1,035

Motorcycle rider 122 1,868

http://road.cc/content/news/68212-dft-casualty-statistics-rank-driving-cycling-walking-and-motorcycling-risk

I make a point of spraying my screen wash the moment I pass a cyclist. Thats all I've got to say on the matter

How clever and hard. And cool.

Will you feel quite so tough and brave (and cool) if doing that causes a cyclist to crash and sustain serious injury? Or worse?

Helmets are not for collisions with cars. They are for falling off your bike. They are only guaranteed for collisions up to 12mph.

http://road.cc/content/news/68212-dft-casualty-statistics-rank-driving-cycling-walking-and-motorcycling-risk

Yeah I know but I'd still rather have one on than not, might not be guaranteed to make a difference but it still could.

What sensible reason could you have for not wearing one?

Never used to wear a helmet when I was a kid but that's because I was a naive and cared more about how I looked, I would think most folk outgrow that youthful self consciousness though.

I commute to work most days by bike - most of the journey is off road until I reach the city centre where I've 4 sets of lights to go through. You can guarantee that at least 2 of these lights there will be a car stopped in the green part before the lights designed for cyclists.

Maybe if there was a 3 point penalty for such an offence drivers would think a bit more, and I'd be less tempted to sneak through on the green man to ensure a safe get away

I've never understood why fucking cyclists get a space at the front when they are the slowest movers? Yes, they may be quicker off the line than some motorists but within a couple of seconds it just means unnecessary overtaking for cars.

You are guaranteed to fall off your bike if you are top heavy, best to go without.

Archived