Why Are Many Drivers So Anti-Cyclist In This Country?

Why don't you get your free-loading passenger to give them a shove when you eventually manage to overtake them?

No longer free-loading. 8)

That's a dangerous suggestion mate. I don't want cyclists to be harmed or maimed in any way. I was just presenting the viewpoint that cyclists are annoying, and it's just one of those things. Sort of like buses and people who are unable to navigate roundabouts properly.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Additionally, you'll often spot them lacking helmets or appropriate high-vis vests.

So what? There's no more legal requirement for cyclists to wear a helmet than a motorist. As for high viz vests, do motorcyclists have to wear high viz vests? No they don't.

A word to the wise, learn the law before bumping your gums.

So what? There's no more legal requirement for cyclists to wear a helmet than a motorist. As for high viz vests, do motorcyclists have to wear high viz vests? No they don't.

A word to the wise, learn the law before bumping your gums.

I never said that it was a legal requirement, just that it would be appropriate as they are quite small, dart about, and often have poor balance and self-awareness.

A word to the wise, learn to read before bumping your gums.

I never said that it was a legal requirement, just that it would be appropriate as they are quite small, dart about, and often have poor balance and self-awareness.

A word to the wise, learn to read before bumping your gums.

Away and take your head for a shite. "wee, darting, poorly balanced creatures with no self awareness" indeed :lol:

Cyclists can be annoying. It's good to get your own back. Those silly wee straps that hold their feet to the pedals are great.

It's silly season on the roads up here and tons of them on the single track roads. Whilst they can rile you by refusing to pull into passing places you can time your approach to on coming cyclists so that they are forced to stop at a passing place. Watching the rage build as they realise the stop will be too long to balance is payment indeed.

Cyclists can be annoying. It's good to get your own back. Those silly wee straps that hold their feet to the pedals are great.

It's silly season on the roads up here and tons of them on the single track roads. Whilst they can rile you by refusing to pull into passing places you can time your approach to on coming cyclists so that they are forced to stop at a passing place. Watching the rage build as they realise the stop will be too long to balance is payment indeed.

Noticed I got red dotted for this post. Do cyclists not read the highway code?

Passing places must be used to allow faster vehicles to over take on a single track road. It is an offence not to.

Car drivers must give cyclists, animals, pedestrians etc enough time and room to either leave the road or get into a passing place.

Getting stuck behind a cyclist is not a problem but wannabe road racers who refuse to use passing places as designed are annoying.

I always, always allow cyclist who are approaching time to get to a passing place. It's unfortunate that their rhythm is interrupted but I have to give them plenty of time by law.

Personally, I find cyclists fairly irritating. I find they have little regard for other road-users, in general of course. For example, today a member of the Tour de France crew was going along the road, holding everyone up as there was no room to overtake. Finally, everyone was able to squeeze by him despite him taking up an inordinate amount of room. Unfortunately for us, there were lights ahead, which he happily breezed through, only for us to be greeted with the exact same situation for another incredibly long, tedious stretch of road when the lights turned green. This is a typical scenario you might experience on a daily basis with a cyclist. They also tend to swing out in front of you without doing their wee hand gestures they're meant to do. Additionally, you'll often spot them lacking helmets or appropriate high-vis vests.

I like to fly free on the roads and not be impeded by these oddballs. I am very impatient, especially when running late. It's just one of those "petty things that get on your nerves", I suppose. Not really that big a deal.

The highway code states that slower vehicles must not allow tailbacks to continue to form behind them. If they are travelling significantly below the speed limit they should pull up at the next opportunity to allow the traffic to flow. It is an offence not to. I would imagine a cyclist could pull off the road and allow traffic to flow 90% of the time.

The highway code states that slower vehicles must not allow tailbacks to continue to form behind them. If they are travelling significantly below the speed limit they should pull up at the next opportunity to allow the traffic to flow. It is an offence not to. I would imagine a cyclist could pull off the road and allow traffic to flow 90% of the time.

Is a bike classed as a vehicle?

Might be why cyclists don't have to refs the Highway Code

Is a bike classed as a vehicle?

Might be why cyclists don't have to refs the Highway Code

All road users must follow the highway code. Including pedestrians. It's ignorance like this which makes the roads so dangerous.

All road users must follow the highway code. Including pedestrians. It's ignorance like this which makes the roads so dangerous.

So why ain't it compulsory for cyclist or pedestrians to read Highway Code before using the road?

Aye it's cyclists that make the road dangerous? Very good

So why ain't it compulsory for cyclist or pedestrians to read Highway Code before using the road?

Aye it's cyclists that make the road dangerous? Very good

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

It is not a legal requirement for a 16 year old to jump on a restricted mototcycle without having read the HC but he has to obey the rules.

Rules 1-35 of the code are written for pedestrians.

Cyclists have rules throughout the book.

I never blamed cyclists. I blamed ignorance. You have a point though, highway code should be mandatory in schools.

It's not the law though.

They are rules and breaking them is covered by the offences of careless/wreckless/dangerous cycling/driving.

They are rules and breaking them is covered by the offences of careless/wreckless/dangerous cycling/driving.

You still haven't answered my original question as to why it's not mandatory for cyclists to read the Highway Code?

The biggest danger by far are drivers on the road. This can't be denied

You still haven't answered my original question as to why it's not mandatory for cyclists to read the Highway Code?

The biggest danger by far are drivers on the road. This can't be denied

The biggest danger is ignorance, whether it be drivers, cyclists or motorcycle riders.

I don't know why. I answered that I believed that the highway code should be mandatory.

A cyclist holding up traffic without pulling up to let it past is careless (he has no due care and attention for his/her fellow road users) careless cycling is punishable by up to a £1000 fine.

The laws are there. It is your responsibility to learn them.

There was no mandatory publication telling me not to smoke weed, I still know I am not allowed to.

Are you really suggesting that because pedestrians and cyclists do not have to learn the law they are above it?

The code is there for everyone's protection.

A cyclist holding up traffic without pulling up to let it past is careless (he has no due care and attention for his/her fellow road users) careless cycling is punishable by up to a £1000 fine.

Happy for you to quote which rule in the highway code actually says this

Happy for you to quote which rule in the highway code actually says this

Rule 169

There are also rules governing single track roads and instructional signs stating that you should "use passing places to allow overtaking"

Rule 169

There are also rules governing single track roads and instructional signs stating that you should "use passing places to allow overtaking"

What, the one which says ,"Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass."

fyi a bike isn't a slow moving vehicle

You also stated ,"A cyclist holding up traffic without pulling up to let it past is careless (he has no due care and attention for his/her fellow road users) careless cycling is punishable by up to a £1000 fine"

I think you're getting "careless" mixed up with "inconsiderate".

Archived