Broxburn Saltire

My sons and I (and their pals) take a Saltire to Scotland home and away games and Hearts games outside Scotland. We put a cloth badge onto the flag to commemorate each visit. Recently It's been to Spurs, Liverpool, Belfast and Wigan on HMFC business. It's been all over the place with Scotland. Some of you might have been photographedwith it. Anyway, a Romanian lad ran off with it at a pre-season friendly at Wigan.

After a week of negotiation the Romanian lads returned the flag by post this morning.

I did two things to secure its return. I apologised for some songs Hearts fans ad sung that were disrespectful to Romania. I have also made a wee donation to a Romanian Orphanage.

I just want to publicly thank everyone who helped me get the old thing returned, and those who wished us luck. I also want to thank the Romanian guys who turned out to be decent blokes.

The flag's next outing will be in Dortmund where Scotland will attempt to publicly humiliate the so-called WorldChampions.

My sons and I (and their pals) take a Saltire to Scotland home and away games and Hearts games outside Scotland. We put a cloth badge onto the flag to commemorate each visit. Recently It's been to Spurs, Liverpool, Belfast and Wigan on HMFC business. It's been all over the place with Scotland. Some of you might have been photographedwith it. Anyway, a Romanian lad ran off with it at a pre-season friendly at Wigan.

After a week of negotiation the Romanian lads returned the flag by post this morning.

I did two things to secure its return. I apologised for some songs Hearts fans ad sung that were disrespectful to Romania. I have also made a wee donation to a Romanian Orphanage.

I just want to publicly thank everyone who helped me get the old thing returned, and those who wished us luck. I also want to thank the Romanian guys who turned out to be decent blokes.

The flag's next outing will be in Dortmund where Scotland will attempt to publicly humiliate the so-called WorldChampions.

Nigel Farage would be foaming at the mouth with seethe at that quote :P

Good news that you got it back though, things like that, that have so many memories attached must be priceless.

Thanks Sonsteam.

The Romanian boys were actually really sound. Once they realised how much the flag meant to me and my boys, and once we had accepted that both sets of fans had been less than exemplary that afternoon (sun, beer, etc.) then they were more than willing to see the flag back where it belongs.

I've also contacted the Manchester Evening News who had run a slightly racist and imaginative piece (my wife apparently was thrown to the ground in a flag-pulling melee). As you say, the final result is bad news for Nigel and the Daily Mail.

Finally, a Dinamo Bucharest and a Romania badge are being sewn onto the flag to represent it's wee adventure.

There was me, my two sons who are in their 20's and my wife. The men all went to the toilet leaving wife with all the stuff. Wife unsuspectingly, let Romanian lad view the flag. Romanian lad grabs flag and does a Jesse Owens across the pitch. Meanwhile we are trying to get our photo taken with ex-Hearts players, etc. The rest is history.

Archived