Orkney Join Mainland Football

HibeeJibee

In what way was that a rhetorical question? Unless you knew that everyone had clearly noticed you were a simpleton anyway, but then why say anything at all?

Except you're referring to the wrong post.

Just like you used the wrong quote. Simpleton!

See ya pal :thumsup2

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

f**k is this shit? I wonder how close the likes of Shetland and The Outer Hebrides are to forming proper clubs and putting them in the NCL. SFA should be actively encouraging this.

Said before but with support from sfa for transport a Lewis team in the senior leagues would be entirely viable at least in terms of support.

One problem would be the pool of players they could draw from would be so small though. Currently probably every league team in Scotland draws on players living in and around Dundee,Aberdeen,Glasgow and Edinburgh or Inverness.

f**k is this shit? I wonder how close the likes of Shetland and The Outer Hebrides are to forming proper clubs and putting them in the NCL. SFA should be actively encouraging this.

Both are doing what Orkney did a couple of seasons ago, entering some of the North Caledonian cups; but I suspect it will be harder for them to move on a step and join the league, as the travelling is so much more considerable and time-consuming even than for Orkney. I don't think the SFA will ever give financial help so it'd require a lot of local fundraising too. Both also finance Island Games teams whereas Orkney hasn't.

Ignoring AFJ's posse of anti-Ulster stalkers, I can't remember ever seeing a rugby field in Shetland, but maybe there's one tucked away somewhere in Lerwick. Football is definitely very much dominant there and all the outlying parishes and larger islands have a pitch of some description. Not surprised a Shetland rugby team might struggle for numbers, doubt it would be an issue with football.

There's one rugby pitch on the island over by the leisure centre in Lerwick, believe there also used to be one up at the old RAF base in Unst as well! In comparison, if I've counted right, there are 16 football pitches spread across the Isles. Football is very much the dominant sport with about 25 senior teams across 3 leagues (including reserve teams) and about 6/7 teams playing at every age group from under 8's to under 18's. Rugby just has the one senior team as well as a decent junior set-up with youth teams playing in mainland leagues as well.

Numbers definitely aren't the issue for football but I think the rugby leagues are more lenient with the fixtures and player registrations that football authorities ever would be, and probably more welcoming to teams playing from the remote areas.

• 1 month later...

Orkney & Halkirk are the invitees for the 2015-16 North of Scotland Cup, otherwise contested by HL clubs & ICT.

Drew each other in R1, at Orkney.

Away v ICT in R2 if successful.

Finished 1-1 today, and Halkirk prevailed on penalties.

Sutherland United have mothballed themselves on the eve of the new season, meaning the North Caledonian is back to 6 clubs.

https://www.facebook.com/SutherlandUnitedFootballClub

Just as well Invergordon reformed, anything less than 6 and it might be no league at all. Participants are now:

Alness United

Golspie Sutherland

Halkirk United

Invergordon

Orkney

Thurso

Not sure but I'm doubtful they could have much impact unless there are better players available locally who'll not play NCL but would HL (which seems unlikely). It's possible to make a comparison with existing HL clubs due to the shared cups.

Golspie enter all the main competitions and have played HL clubs 31 times since the millennium. Only managed 5 wins, 5 draws and 21 defeats - plus most of the wins/draws were against Brora, Fort William and Rothes during their lowest ebbs, also a couple against Clachnacuddin. Since other NCFL club were admitted into the North of Scotland Cup in 2009 those clubs have only managed 1 win (Halkirk), 2 draws (Halkirk + Thurso) and 12 defeats - often by thumping margins. Bonar Bridge and Muir of Ord Rovers never managed anything except defeats and have both since disappeared.

Golspie have played a number of LL/EOSL clubs in the Scottish Cup, usually lost but did beat Hawick and Preston. Also drew with Girvan, the Juniors.

Halkirk were linked with HL when a proposal to split it into 2 divisions of 10 was mooted last year, and there are some on FitbaNorth who claim Golspie would be interested. Halkirk has had their ground done-up by a benefactor and now boasts 2 terracing covers and floodlights. However the rest of the league are basically open parks.

Worth adding that Inverness City joined the North Juniors from NCFL a few years ago and have done fairly well.

Alness United currently play in HL U17s, and Invergordon entered the defunct HL U19s from 2009-2011.

Both are doing what Orkney did a couple of seasons ago, entering some of the North Caledonian cups; but I suspect it will be harder for them to move on a step and join the league, as the travelling is so much more considerable and time-consuming even than for Orkney. I don't think the SFA will ever give financial help so it'd require a lot of local fundraising too. Both also finance Island Games teams whereas Orkney hasn't.

i dont know much about the western isles, shetland is an overnight ferry to aberdeen and air transport would be prohibitively expensive. in terms of quality none of the teams there would be up to much although the county select team which play orkney and the island games could probably put a half decent team out. transport wise it would be harder for them to play in a league involving teams from caithness and sutherland, (the ferry docks in aberdeen theres no direct links to the north of scotland) which would involve several hours on the road aswell as the ferry trip. if they were going to join any mainland set up it would be more practical to join one in aberdeenshire, even then it would be very expensive to travel

Archived