Orkney Join Mainland Football

HibeeJibee

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HCL and North Juniors would make a great HFL2 (tier 6 in the pyramid) Imagine 2 promotions and Orkney playing in the SPFL L2

Imagine indeed, it'd never happen without serious investment so it's a bit of a non-starter.

If a village outfit like Brora can make their way (through financial doping of course) to the play-off, any other club in Scotland can. Though we could skip the wait by just placing them in the Highland League now.

Rothesay and Arran sides to be placed in the LL instead of the next, utterly pointless 'football academy' outfit. Best to kick out those that slithered into the setup while we're at it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

One of the pre-conditions for the involvement of Guernsey within the English set up is that they pay for the travel/board of visiting teams. I wonder if the SFA might insist on similar for any island teams that get involved in the Scottish Pyramid.

Would it be possible for the SFA to fund travel to/from Shetland, Orkney and the Western Isles? I'd imagine a single team from each of those areas would do alright at the lower end of the game. Would other teams kick up a fuss about it?

SRU do roughly that in rugby union.

Orkney sitting mid-table this season. Won all their home games, lost all their away games.

SRU do roughly that in rugby union.

Orkney sitting mid-table this season. Won all their home games, lost all their away games.

Seen this mentioned before, surely this must be down to the pain of travelling from Kirkwall to Wick (or verse versa) every Saturday Morning than ability.

Possibly.

Current table, by 'riddles':

http://fitbanorth.com/download/file.php?id=451

Last month Shetland travelled for a cup-tie at Thurso... pitch waterlogged, but tie wasn't relocated elsewhere. Outcome - no game.

Unsurprisingly they subsequently scratched.

Earlier in February, news that Orkney v Halkirk was postponed arrived with Halkirk "already on the ferry" though unsure if had departed.

Such avoidable situations won't encourage things.

• 5 months later...

Seeing as this became an all encompassing "places in Scotland without a team thread" I thought I would give it a Wee bump.

I had the great good fortune to be in Dunoon today. It's a lot bigger than I thought, at least the size of Forfar or Montrose and with the greater Cowal catchment must be able to sustain some sort of team. Yet google tells they only have an amateur team, not even junior.

Any particular reason for this, it's not like it's a huge distance to Gourock. Is it simply the case and in the firth of Clyde nothing can grow in Morton's enormous shadow?

I know they have the shinty in tighnabruaich but would have thought Dunoon would be more of a football town.

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2016 at 12:33, invergowrie arab said:

Seeing as this became an all encompassing "places in Scotland without a team thread" I thought I would give it a Wee bump.

I had the great good fortune to be in Dunoon today. It's a lot bigger than I thought, at least the size of Forfar or Montrose and with the greater Cowal catchment must be able to sustain some sort of team. Yet google tells they only have an amateur team, not even junior.

Any particular reason for this, it's not like it's a huge distance to Gourock. Is it simply the case and in the firth of Clyde nothing can grow in Morton's enormous shadow?

I know they have the shinty in tighnabruaich but would have thought Dunoon would be more of a football town.

No idea mate, that would be a nightmare of a drive to Dumbarton tho! 

On 05/09/2016 at 20:33, invergowrie arab said:

There have been various junior teams in the Dunoon area over the years. Some were fairly short lived, but the most established were Dunoon Athletic (a name revived last year for Dunoon AFC's 2nd string but again no more).

Dunoon Athletic had continuous Junior existence from 1932 until 1975, playing in the western section of the (very central Scotland-orientated) Scottish Junior League from the 30s until after WW2, the Western League (in the North Ayrshire section) until '68 and the Central League until their demise. Dunoon AFC formed in 1975 so I assume there's some crossover there. I do not know when Dunoon Stadium, present home of the amateur side, was built - all references I can see to a Junior stadium say Recreation Park.

Just to confuse matters, there was a single year of coexistence of Dunoon AFC and a Junior side - the juniors rebranded as Cowal Juniors for 75/76 and then ceased to be.

Teams in the Western section of the Scottish Junior League for Dunoon Athletic's first season (1932-33) were:

• Baillieston
  • Bute Athletic
  • Cadder Thistle
  • Coats Juniors
  • Dumbarton Harp
  • Dunoon Athletic
  • Maryhill Hibs
  • Milngavie Juniors
  • Overton Athletic
  • Port Glasgow Athletic
  • Rothesay Royal Victoria
  • St. Francis
  • Whifflet Emerald

All gone (PGA no real connection to the current side)!

As a bookend, teams in the Central League Division C for 1975-76:

• Blantyre Celtic
  • Coltness United (now Newmains United)
  • Cowal Juniors
  • Forth Wanderers
  • Greenock Juniors
  • Kilsyth Rangers
  • Neilston
  • Port Glasgow
  • Royal Albert
  • St. Anthony's
  • Shotts Bon Accord