Opening Ceremony

The Naitch

Euan Burton, the judoka, has been chosen to be the flag bearer.

Tbh I thought David Millar should be the flag bearer, as he is the only Scot ever to wear the maillot jaune. Then again, I am a cyclist, so I'm a little bit biased

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you seen the uniforms the volunteers have to wear?

Fortunately I get a few dark blue polo shirts.

Yeah, I saw a few of them on the bus when they were going to the dress rehearsal last night at Parkhead. Not pretty. The uniforms weren't up to much either.

In terms of the "themes" used, I'd like to see one of the strands being a sort of 'story of Glasgow' type thing... from St Mungo and the cathedral, through to the shipbuilding and the railway works (which fit-in nicely with the Commonwealth theme of course), the arrival of the Irish community, then the modern tale of decline then regeneration.

Scots inventors, thinkers, leaders, and soldiers would be another good "theme" - in the way London 2012 had some parts about 'look what we gave to the world'. Given the 100th anniversary of the start of the Great War falls on day after the Games end, and (unlike the Olympics say) the Commonwealth were all on the same side, you'd think there'd be a suitably poignant nod to that somewhere too.

Plus the expected mixture of the river Clyde, Scots musicians, Highland dancing, tartan 'n bagpipes 'n whisky 'n shortbread, and the Loch Ness Monster...

In terms of the "themes" used, I'd like to see one of the strands being a sort of 'story of Glasgow' type thing... from St Mungo and the cathedral, through to the shipbuilding and the railway works (which fit-in nicely with the Commonwealth theme of course), the arrival of the Irish community, then the modern tale of decline then regeneration.

Scots inventors, thinkers, leaders, and soldiers would be another good "theme" - in the way London 2012 had some parts about 'look what we gave to the world'. Given the 100th anniversary of the start of the Great War falls on day after the Games end, and (unlike the Olympics say) the Commonwealth were all on the same side, you'd think there'd be a suitably poignant nod to that somewhere too.

Plus the expected mixture of the river Clyde, Scots musicians, Highland dancing, tartan 'n bagpipes 'n whisky 'n shortbread, and the Loch Ness Monster...

what about a section dedicated the gangs violence, poverty and drug and alcohol addiction of dear old glesga toon. :lol:

Tbh I thought David Millar should be the flag bearer, as he is the only Scot ever to wear the maillot jaune. Then again, I am a cyclist, so I'm a little bit biased

His history of doping would have made him a pretty controversial choice.

or the oldest member of each of the local communities on the ceremony , just think how proud wee jimmy the 58 year old calton man will feel standing their surrounded by his 12 weans, 26 grandweans and 15 great grandweans. emotional stuff.

Never gonna happen.

The making it to 58 I mean...

Yes. Mate was at one of the rehearsals.

Wonder how that will go down, dont get me wrong I wouldnt boo it but I would keep myself from singing it, do other countries fans join in with singing it? Packed house tonight aswell I imagine.

Archived