Opening Ceremony

The Naitch

Just eight days until the whole thing gets going.

They've announced the line up for next Wednesday night with the likes of Rod Stewart, Amy MacDonald and Susan Boyle all performing.

While it's not going to get near Danny Boyle's masterpiece from 2012 the fact that the organisers ditched that awful idea of blowing up the tower blocks means it's already going to be good.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the work noticeboard I see some enterprising individual is trying to sell a pair of tickets for £240.

I assume for that price you get to be in the ceremony itself.

Was on the Glasgow 2014 ticketing website just now and I see there's still "High Availability" for the Opening Ceremony. Potential for a lot of empty seats?

Last week there were only £120 tickets and restricted view £20 tickets left. 'Restricted view' here seems to be even worse than Parkheads normal restricted views, you can see the pitch but not the stage.

I get the feeling that the ceremony is going to be absolutely dreadful. Not sure why, but just fear that it will be a load of twee rubbish that just ends up being cringeworthy. Hoping to be proved wrong though.

Last week there were only £120 tickets and restricted view £20 tickets left. 'Restricted view' here seems to be even worse than Parkheads normal restricted views, you can see the pitch but not the stage.

Mmm. "High" availability now, all categories up.

I get the feeling that the ceremony is going to be absolutely dreadful. Not sure why, but just fear that it will be a load of twee rubbish that just ends up being cringeworthy. Hoping to be proved wrong though.

I feared the opposite - in trying to avoid 'kitsch stereotype' it ends up a superficial, generalised gloss.

Hopefully not.

What do people want in the ceremony anyway? What sort of things would you like to see, whether representative of Scottish sport, the city of Glasgow, or Scotland as a whole?

I've got a hunch there'll be bagpipes.

Just a hunch, mind.

I was at the rehearsal on Saturday and there is an element of this unfortunately.

Archived