143rd Open Championship

Davis Love III

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worked out OK, never really thought McIlroy was ever in danger of losing it even when the lead was cut to 2.

Royal Liverpool seems a bit of a piece of piss for the guys at this level, 11 players finished -10 or better with the winning score at -17, in the 2006 one 8 players better than -10 with the winning score at -18.

I'd just play all the Opens at Carnoustie, mind you.

Worked out OK, never really thought McIlroy was ever in danger of losing it even when the lead was cut to 2.

Royal Liverpool seems a bit of a piece of piss for the guys at this level, 11 players finished -10 or better with the winning score at -17, in the 2006 one 8 players better than -10 with the winning score at -18.

I'd just play all the Opens at Carnoustie, mind you.

A lot of Championship courses just turn one or two par 5s into par 4s though, which Royal Liverpool doesn't do. If it did you'd be taking 8 shots off the totals and you'd be getting more 'normal' scores. I think if they had shortened either the 16th or 18th and made it a par 4 that would have been a good compromise.

I think it's better getting lower scores anyway, the harder you try and make a links course the more luck comes into it and you end up getting winners like Paul Lawrie and Ben Curtis. On a course set up like Royal Liverpool you are going to get the best players winning, as the leaderboard showed.

Hoylake would still have 2 of the lowest winning totals of all time though regardless of what the par was. I don't think there's much they can do except hope the wind really blows- even with the internal OB on 17 & 18 (having internal OB on a course is a point in itself about the set-up!) I didn't really get the impression there was a "danger" hole where McIlroy could run into serious trouble.

I think there's a happy medium between stuff like this week where there's loads of 65s and 66s and Carnoustie '99, which did go too far. Carnoustie '07 was my favourite Open in recent years. Next year is St Andrews so unless it's blowing a gale it'll be another really low scoring event.

Seems Garcia actually went for a piss, McIlroy pointed out someone to the police who was then carted away.

Yeah I heard that later on. First time Maureen Madill had ever said anything remotely interesting, and yet it was still complete bull.

Archived