East Stirlingshire v Falkirk

RC55 FFC

Well 7-1......7......1 oofft that was a sore one BUT as the truth be told, the score line doesn't tell the whole story. Sure in the end Falkirk outclassed us and moved the ball about in ways that we could only dream of but for long periods of the game we matched them before.....well, committing suicide really.

It was probably down to inexperience that cost us (apologise for using numbers, I hate it when people do that however i never caught the line up) number 4 (Greene???) gave away the kind of penalty that you came to expect from Bobo Frances and the young Goalkeeper Shaw gifted Falkirk the opening before stumbling through the 2nd 45 minutes with his confidence totally shot. Not the debut he would have hoped for, especially after having a relatively steady opening 30-35 minutes.

No doubt Craig Tully will be praying that Richie Bernard is back from his holiday before next weeks game against Ayr, however when you consider we were also missing Townsley, Niven & McCabe and had Tapping sitting in the stand then all is not lost.

Talking of players however, I could not believe the shape of Paul McMullen. There was a bit of laughter on here when we signed him but there was also a bit of laughter when he ran onto the pitch. Over the last few seasons we've signed a couple of "larger" players, Miller, Walker, Sheerin to name just 3 however each of them were in better shape than McMullen. We're going to need all hands to the pumps this year so let's hope he can get himself sorted out and in shape over the next few months or he will become a but of a passenger and a possible liability for us.

Lots of positives to take from the game, McKenna's goal was top drawer and a lot of our build up play was a joy to watch, we never stopped Attacking (yyyyeeesss!!!) and for long spells of the game you wouldn't have known that there were 2 leagues difference in the clubs and actually, although we were whipped in the end, I'm really optimistic that we'll have an enjoyable season.

Shire MOTM: Few good displays, Bolo, Kinnaird, McKenna and Brisbane done well throughout, MacGregor has his best game in a Shire shirt that I have personally seen and Greenhill & Wright had good spells however for me NATHAN SHEPHERD was my MOTM, how great it is to see the wee man charging forward.

Thought the shire number 6 was pretty good, never a 7-1 game although it probably should have been 8 in the end.

At 3-1 it looked like it was back to being game on after the shire scored, the fourth from Falkirk killed it, 5th, 6th and 7th were probably due to tiredness.

Complete diddy annihilation. Could have been 10, Loy must.be wondering how he hasn't come away from that with 4 goals.

I don't think we even had to get out of second gear all game. Pleasing.

The Shire did well at containing us for long spells but their goalie was howling and their defense not much better when exposed.

We are still (no trialists again today) light up front, a couple of strikers please and with Small, Grant, Duffie and Sibbald to come back in to that side there should be lots of competition for places.

Ref and linesmen were woeful.

Liking the look of Cooper and Taiwo, and Ollie is growing on me.

My only gripe is not playing our own young players ahead of Maybury, although he has done ok in the last couple of games tbf

Roll on Montrose.

Complete diddy annihilation. Could have been 10, Loy must.be wondering how he hasn't come away from that with 4 goals.

I don't think we even had to get out of second gear all game. Pleasing.

The Shire did well at containing us for long spells but their goalie was howling and their defense not much better when exposed.

We are still (no trialists again today) light up front, a couple of strikers please and with Small, Grant, Duffie and Sibbald to come back in to that side there should be lots of competition for places.

Ref and linesmen were woeful.

Liking the look of Cooper and Taiwo, and Ollie is growing on me.

My only gripe is not playing our own young players ahead of Maybury, although he has done ok in the last couple of games tbf

Roll on Montrose.

Ollie couldn't have grown on you with that performance he was back to his early performances looking for too much time on the ball...shire were better than I expected and scored a peach however mcgrandles clearly decided to take the piss out th last 20 and was waltzing through them..we were far better when Alston came on I hope houstie is going to show some faith in one of our best players

Shire were rank. So was their goal.

Maybe I was being generous with Ollie though.

McGrandles definitely upped his game when Alston came on. Maybe just because he was a familiar face? Combining with Ollie-Taiwo-Shepps&Cooper will take time to gel.

I like the fact Houstie has played 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 in the two matches I have seen so far. I thought the formation under Holt was generally pretty good but we never had a plan B.

What about sending Amos out on loan to the Shire? Can't be any worse than what they have and will be good experience for the lad.

Shire were rank. So was their goal.

Eh????

What about sending Amos out on loan to the Shire? Can't be any worse than what they have and will be good experience for the lad.

Please don't, our FIRST CHOICE Keeper is more than good enough

I like the fact Houstie has played 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 in the two matches I have seen so far. I thought the formation under Holt was generally pretty good but we never had a plan B.

Holt had a plan b...but it was just to go gung ho...which in a way I liked and obviously what triggered the 0-0 draw free game thing....did we have a 0-0 under holt ?

Great start,how many managers can start with competitive first game with a 7-1

Archived