Important information about independence bill

I've sat and picked apart certain parts of the newly posted "Scottish Independence Bill" and have found quite a few things I would like to flag up to everyone, decided or undecided.

Alex Salmond has made many comments about nuclear disarmament in an independent Scotland, quite often contradicting his own stance. He has stated that he would make nuclear weapons illegal. Then going on to say later that he would allow submarines and warships which may have nuclear weapons on board dock in Scottish waters. Mr Salmond is playing both sides of the coin and after reading the bill it seems there is no guarantee that this will occur as it clearly states "Section 23 provides that the Scottish Government must pursue negotiations with a view to securing nuclear disarmament in accordance with international law, and the safe and expeditious removal from Scotland of nuclear weapons based here."

This is a far cry from making nuclear weapons illegal as he stated initially. This surely shows they will no be able to assure this"pursue" being the word of significant importance.

The bill also covers an independent Scotland's "seamless" transition to become a member of the EU stating " Section 24 maintains the position of European Union law in an independent Scotland. It provides that directly effective EU law forms part of Scots law which, in turn, must not be inconsistent with EU law. This is the same as the position of Scotland at present as part of the UK and as part of the EU, and reflects the effect of the European Communities Act 1972. This section ensures that when Scotland, for Independence Day, changes its status within the EU from being part of a Member State to being a distinct Member State, the effect of EU law and all the rights, powers and obligations flowing from the EU Treaties will seamlessly carry on from Scotland as part of the UK to Scotland as a Member State of the EU."

Again this is factually incorrect. According to EU Rules an independent country CAN NOT apply for EU membership before getting sovereignty. Therefore an application to become an EU Member State would not be eligible until 2016 which is the current time frame for Scotland to become an officially independent state. So if what Mr Salmond has said is true with regards to time scale, who knows how long the EU membership process will take. This in turn would surely mean, by my understanding, all EU laws in place are no longer viable until membership was confirmed. What would this mean for all migrant workers from EU nations working in our country? Would Membership to the EU be even given?

There are simply too many issues and questions for this to be "seamless" transition as is being "promised" by Mr Salmond and his supporters.

The next thing I have noticed in the Bill is information with regards to Tax Law. It reads "It has sometimes been suggested that legislation which currently operates in Scotland, especially in currently reserved areas such as tax law, employment law or welfare legislation would need to be entirely re-written in advance of independence. This is incorrect. Existing legislation in these areas is part of the corpus of Scots law and would continue to apply and operate as it does at present, subject to such modifications that might be necessary for that legislation to function effectively in the context of an independent Scotland. Powers would be taken to make such modifications, prior to independence."

This in short, again from my understanding, shows that at present there are no clear tax law, employment law or welfare legislation in place for an independent Scotland. As stated any modifications that need to be made will take place after the vote. Surely the people of Scotland deserve to know what the tax and employment law will be in their "new country" before giving it the go-ahead. Mr Salmond could raise income tax to 50% for all, we have to way of knowing what is planned. Again simply too many unanswered questions for the people of Scotland to give this the go ahead.

In summary I can only ask that you read all this information, share it with friends and make sure that these things are known. I know how long the bill is and very few will read it cover to cover but I have and this is simply but a few things I have seen. Please read, like, share and get the word out about these things as the people of Scotland need to know what they are voting for before September.

Thank you.

I've sat and picked apart certain parts of the newly posted "Scottish Independence Bill" and have found quite a few things I would like to flag up to everyone, decided or undecided.

Alex Salmond has made many comments about nuclear disarmament in an independent Scotland, quite often contradicting his own stance. He has stated that he would make nuclear weapons illegal. Then going on to say later that he would allow submarines and warships which may have nuclear weapons on board dock in Scottish waters. Mr Salmond is playing both sides of the coin and after reading the bill it seems there is no guarantee that this will occur as it clearly states "Section 23 provides that the Scottish Government must pursue negotiations with a view to securing nuclear disarmament in accordance with international law, and the safe and expeditious removal from Scotland of nuclear weapons based here."

This is a far cry from making nuclear weapons illegal as he stated initially. This surely shows they will no be able to assure this"pursue" being the word of significant importance.

The bill also covers an independent Scotland's "seamless" transition to become a member of the EU stating " Section 24 maintains the position of European Union law in an independent Scotland. It provides that directly effective EU law forms part of Scots law which, in turn, must not be inconsistent with EU law. This is the same as the position of Scotland at present as part of the UK and as part of the EU, and reflects the effect of the European Communities Act 1972. This section ensures that when Scotland, for Independence Day, changes its status within the EU from being part of a Member State to being a distinct Member State, the effect of EU law and all the rights, powers and obligations flowing from the EU Treaties will seamlessly carry on from Scotland as part of the UK to Scotland as a Member State of the EU."

Again this is factually incorrect. According to EU Rules an independent country CAN NOT apply for EU membership before getting sovereignty. Therefore an application to become an EU Member State would not be eligible until 2016 which is the current time frame for Scotland to become an officially independent state. So if what Mr Salmond has said is true with regards to time scale, who knows how long the EU membership process will take. This in turn would surely mean, by my understanding, all EU laws in place are no longer viable until membership was confirmed. What would this mean for all migrant workers from EU nations working in our country? Would Membership to the EU be even given?

There are simply too many issues and questions for this to be "seamless" transition as is being "promised" by Mr Salmond and his supporters.

The next thing I have noticed in the Bill is information with regards to Tax Law. It reads "It has sometimes been suggested that legislation which currently operates in Scotland, especially in currently reserved areas such as tax law, employment law or welfare legislation would need to be entirely re-written in advance of independence. This is incorrect. Existing legislation in these areas is part of the corpus of Scots law and would continue to apply and operate as it does at present, subject to such modifications that might be necessary for that legislation to function effectively in the context of an independent Scotland. Powers would be taken to make such modifications, prior to independence."

This in short, again from my understanding, shows that at present there are no clear tax law, employment law or welfare legislation in place for an independent Scotland. As stated any modifications that need to be made will take place after the vote. Surely the people of Scotland deserve to know what the tax and employment law will be in their "new country" before giving it the go-ahead. Mr Salmond could raise income tax to 50% for all, we have to way of knowing what is planned. Again simply too many unanswered questions for the people of Scotland to give this the go ahead.

In summary I can only ask that you read all this information, share it with friends and make sure that these things are known. I know how long the bill is and very few will read it cover to cover but I have and this is simply but a few things I have seen. Please read, like, share and get the word out about these things as the people of Scotland need to know what they are voting for before September.

Thank you.

Again, who cares about that drivel.

My main points are the fact that he clearly can't deliver on the promises he's firing out. He's a fat helmet who frankly I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw and lets be fair no one could throw that clown very far. ]

And in answer to you're question sodjes, nah its longer.. certainly longer than 16 inches kid.

starko, we'll be heading for food banks anyway when the economy goes tits up or we're paying daft amounts of tax. we've got a finite resource in the north sea. Beyond that its limited and a walk around glasgow will show you how many cretins there are, off their tits on junk buying it with taxpayers money. more people per head claim benefits in scotland than anywhere else in the UK. we can't afford to run a company simple as that the costs of it and where salmond is going to pull the money from will never be answered til after september by that time its too late.

My main points are the fact that he clearly can't deliver on the promises he's firing out. He's a fat helmet who frankly I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw and lets be fair no one could throw that clown very far. ]

And in answer to you're question sodjes, nah its longer.. certainly longer than 16 inches kid.

Could you not just have posted that Salmond is fat rather than that long-winded drivel you assaulted our eyes with?

Fat Al's not to be trusted over Mr Blink and his pals.

starko, we'll be heading for food banks anyway when the economy goes tits up or we're paying daft amounts of tax. we've got a finite resource in the north sea. Beyond that its limited and a walk around glasgow will show you how many cretins there are, off their tits on junk buying it with taxpayers money. more people per head claim benefits in scotland than anywhere else in the UK. we can't afford to run a company simple as that the costs of it and where salmond is going to pull the money from will never be answered til after september by that time its too late.

I'm surprised you can type while your heads rammed full of such drivel.

No voters - Are you happy being associated with this?

Just how far can you throw Cameron? Hes no that wealthy obese like fat yet, but a little chubby so it must be a good few hundred feet? NO?

Just how far can you throw Cameron? Hes no that wealthy obese like fat yet, but a little chubby so it must be a good few hundred feet? NO?

I reckon his dish shaped face should be pretty aerodynamic, so I'd be confident of throwing Cameron a good 400 feet.

Why has no one told us this before?

Why has Alister Darling not been on telly doing his ( I'm lying to you now ) blinking, to give us these facts?

Have you ever been to Norway old bean?

Very wealthy and much more equal country than britain. You will never guess what even they have on their streets.

Want a clue?

Starts with a J and sounds like funkies.

When will you be popping off back to the food bank?

Oh and by the way. Its not Salmond. Its ME, a YES voter.

Archived