Larkhall Image Problem

Wee_albert

In view of the chequered history between the clubs dating back to the famous 1970 Junior Cup tie on the same day Celtic v Rangers was postponed, I thought St Roch's might get mentioned in this thread at some point but not in such terms so thanks for the kind words Peter, you are correct that the current Committee at the Candy are not likely to tolerate anything which would blacken the Club's name.

There's only so much a Committee can do though as the Larkhall committee were great with us last time we visited nearly 2 years ago whereas the sizeable home support that day weren't as welcoming to be diplomatic. And I know of the 'welcome' Larkhall got at our place 4 years ago too.

I would strongly suspect that in both cases, home fans at those games have barely been at either ground since, if at all. The irony is, Larkhall Celtic was a name considered for Thistle at the time of their formation and John McStay is as much a Candy legend as he is at Larky.

Larkhall thistle were formed in 1878 , Celtic were formed in 1888.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the point is that it is not the club that's has the problems but it us an small minority who blacken all.

I know at St. Rochs they had a few idiots who dragged the team down. The new committee have made a concerted effort to rid themselves if that name. Which is credit to them.

Having been with the Albert for 3 & a 1/2 years in the late 80's, & being of a caflik (well lapsed) upbringing, I can honestly say I only once came across religious nonsense in junior football, & it happened in a WoS Cup tie in Ayrshire, not Larkhall.

The Albert had several players from the Bargeddie/Baillieston area at the time, we were taken to a Orange Lodge in New Cumnock for the after match sandwiches/ drinks. Several Albert players were wearing crucifixes & we were asked to leave.

It was a period that the Albert were sponsored by a pub called the Spinnelweil & in all my time at the club the exact same players were made to feel as part of both the club & community & it didn't matter if they had a crucifix, star of David or any other religious artifact around their neck, the people of Larkhall were friendly & welcoming.

[ Could easily say same about kilwinning. Being the mother lodge and all! ] posted by gingerblastie.

The Masonic Lodge has members from all religions, I know of a Glasgow Lodge with Jews, Moslems and Catholics, as the stipulation is simply that entrants believe in a Supreme Being , whatever they wish that to materialise as, and doesn't consider their choice of religion or even if they have no religion. The Catholic church banned its members from becoming Freemasons because of the requirement of their taking an Oath of Secrecy. Some choose to ignore the ruling. The secrets can all be found in Libraries anyway. Try 'googling' " Masonic Lodge P2 " which was based in Italy where most of the population are catholic.

On the other hand, the Orange Order are definitely opposed to Catholicism but they are not headquartered in Kilwinning.

Dom Sullivan tends to be mentioned as a Celtic player who was in the masons. Think the media latched onto Larkhall as being the epicentre of Scottish uberProd-dom after a TV crew went out to interview some of the locals about the Mo Johnston signing? Not sure the reputation is really fully deserved in that there are other towns and villages that could easily have been chosen instead. Whitburn to name but one example.

[ Could easily say same about kilwinning. Being the mother lodge and all! ] posted by gingerblastie.

The Masonic Lodge has members from all religions, I know of a Glasgow Lodge with Jews, Moslems and Catholics, as the stipulation is simply that entrants believe in a Supreme Being , whatever they wish that to materialise as, and doesn't consider their choice of religion or even if they have no religion. The Catholic church banned its members from becoming Freemasons because of the requirement of their taking an Oath of Secrecy. Some choose to ignore the ruling. The secrets can all be found in Libraries anyway. Try 'googling' " Masonic Lodge P2 " which was based in Italy where most of the population are catholic.

On the other hand, the Orange Order are definitely opposed to Catholicism but they are not headquartered in Kilwinning.

I am afraid you are wrong. Kilwinning does indeed have the mother lodge for Scotland!! Come thru I'll show you!! It's number 00 and above it in brick it states mother lodge..

I am afraid you are wrong. Kilwinning does indeed have the mother lodge for Scotland!! Come thru I'll show you!! It's number 00 and above it in brick it states mother lodge..

I think he's saying that Kilwinning may well be the Mother Lodge for the Masons but it is not the Mother Lodge for the Orange Order. People tend to lump the two in together.

Na, Dom was born and brought up in Provanmill / Blackhill

did he go to st mungo's in glasgow then ? dom goes to the denny chapel.so that throws the masons tag oot the windae.

not saying that the masons dont accept rc members.but dom aint one of them.

I think he's saying that Kilwinning may well be the Mother Lodge for the Masons but it is not the Mother Lodge for the Orange Order. People tend to lump the two in together.

try telling the guys who use the place it's not the same place not us lads who generally don't care haha

Load a shite thats got nothing to do with football

nothing to do with any football ..loada shite

did he go to st mungo's in glasgow then ? dom goes to the denny chapel.so that throws the masons tag oot the windae.

not saying that the masons dont accept rc members.but dom aint one of them.

He doesn't go to Denny Chapel (St Alexander's) either. He has pub at Denny Cross, I've known him 20 year

Archived