So why are people voting NO?

1320Lichtie

Still to hear valid reasons why people are voting NO and there's only a couple of month left till we vote. The only proper reason is people voting NO because their jobs would be at risk after YES. I understand that, but don't understand why anyone else is....

Think it's common knowledge to everyone now that we would be perfectly capable of running our own affairs so why are so many people voting against it? Genuinely baffles me.

Praying that on September 19th we will be waking up to an exciting new chapter in Scotland's history, why people don't want that, especially with things the way they currently are, is beyond me.

Wake up people, chance of a lifetime right here!

C'mon the YES!!!!

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still to hear valid reasons why people are voting NO and there's only a couple of month left till we vote. The only proper reason is people voting NO because their jobs would be at risk after YES. I understand that, but don't understand why anyone else is....

Think it's common knowledge to everyone now that we would be perfectly capable of running our own affairs so why are so many people voting against it? Genuinely baffles me.

Praying that on September 19th we will be waking up to an exciting new chapter in Scotland's history, why people don't want that, especially with things the way they currently are, is beyond me.

Wake up people, chance of a lifetime right here!

C'mon the YES!!!!

The bolded. When I was a confirmed no voter, I felt like we actually have it quite good.

Because they've been scared by the terrible better together campaign.

I actually started out as a no voter but all the negative vibes and scaremongering told me something was very wrong with voting no.

Can't stand labour now, I do think Scotland will vote no and it will be thanks to these losers.

The more well off people see it as too big a gamble. They have nothing to lose in voting No and potentially everything to lose in voting Yes.

I will vote Yes but I can see why people are scared and would vote No.

For what it's worth I don't think much will change for Scotland in the event of a No vote. The No vote in the 70s didn't change anything and I don't think it will now.

Can someone give me five positive reasons for voting no?

Whatabootery and scaremongering not allowed.

What would benefit Scotland by voting no and how would this be an improvement on what we have now, five reasons.

Tumbleweed

The more well off people see it as too big a gamble. They have nothing to lose in voting No and potentially everything to lose in voting Yes.

I will vote Yes but I can see why people are scared and would vote No.

For what it's worth I don't think much will change for Scotland in the event of a No vote. The No vote in the 70s didn't change anything and I don't think it will now.

I think this time Scotland will be a political backwater and won't be taken seriously at all in Westminster.

The Torys will impose more cuts and Labour will probably be voted back in and will not be able to do anything halt them.

You might as well close the Scottish parliament too, what is the point of three MPs for one area when none of them have control over the important matters? MEP, MSP and MP. None have any real power.

Vote no for no control.

Can someone give me five positive reasons for voting no?

Whatabootery and scaremongering not allowed.

I will give this a go provided, in your "five positive reasons for voting yes" in reply you mention nothing about, "We will no longer be ruled by Westminster and we won’t have a Tory government ruling us that we didn't vote for."

Deal?

The more well off people see it as too big a gamble. They have nothing to lose in voting No and potentially everything to lose in voting Yes. I will vote Yes but I can see why people are scared and would vote No. For what it's worth I don't think much will change for Scotland in the event of a No vote. The No vote in the 70s didn't change anything and I don't think it will now.

The Torys will impose more cuts and Labour will probably be voted back in and will not be able to do anything halt them.

I don't think, if Labour came in, they'd do much to halt them even if they could. They'll just continue as is and blame the Tories for taking that path, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's exactly what they're happy to do.

EDIT: Needs to be noted, I'm not completely against mass cuts, so long as everyone is seeing the same effects. But I'm not sure that'll be the case.

I will give this a go provided, in your "five positive reasons for voting yes" in reply you mention nothing about, "We will no longer be ruled by Westminster and we won’t have a Tory government ruling us that we didn't vote for."

Deal?

Why are you setting limits? Surely having controls over your own political destiny is one the main reasons.

That's like saying "give me 5 reasons why you drink but you must not include; 'to get drunk' or 'because it is fun'".

I think this time Scotland will be a political backwater and won't be taken seriously at all in Westminster.

You might as well close the Scottish parliament too, what is the point of three MPs for one area when none of them have control over the important matters? MEP, MSP and MP. None have any real power.

Vote no for no control.

Sorry, but this is just bizzare.

Labour will 'probably be voted in' but won't be able to do anything about 'more cuts' - what? They can do what they damn well please if they're voted in.

I also don't get your statement that MPs, MSPs and MEPs don't have any real power. Of course they don't in isolation! They aren't there to be powerful, they're your representative in parliament and may or may not be from the party that forms the government.

As for why people are voting No, the answer isn't really difficult. I know it's hard for some on this forum to comprehend, but maybe they feel being part of the UK benefits Scotland, and maybe they're happy with the current arrangement.

Why are you setting limits? Surely having controls over your own political destiny is one the main reasons.

Don't be a fanny. DAFC said, "Whatabootery and scaremongering not allowed" these are limits. Forgive me for being able to read

Anyone who has lived through the 1979 referendum, seeing the scaremongering of what an independent Scotland would encounter if we voted "Yes" and the promises what we "would be given" if we voted No, will see huge parallels with this current campaign. Yet strangely enough those promises were never delivered - in fact the opposite and we were absolutely hammered by a hateful Tory regime that ruined the lives of a generation. Yes, so did other parts of the UK, but we had the opportunity to avoid that pain and we never took it.

To those who are voting No and trotting out the same old bullshit I just can't believe you are so fucking naive as to be fooled by exactly the same rhetoric. You are idiots. Nothing more, nothing less, just fucking idiots.

Now it's fair to say the world is not the same as it was 35 years ago, but it's the same old patter from Westminster, and the same old pandering from the idiots and colonial sycophants.

Archived