West Super League Premier Division

meadowx1

Another cracking post

Talbot have also lost their fair share of top players to the seniors too so its not a case of them escaping it either With doolan and pettigrew probably being the best of late.

It probably makes talbot still being at the top that bit more admirable as they clearly have the winning formula at all levels of their club despite losing these guys.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have my thoughts and have given my reasons for my opinion. Spoke to many about this and i would say at least half agree with me.

Fair enough those who don't all about opinions and what you saw back in the day compared to now and recent years.

We've struggled this season with the loss of two quality midfielders in Sean Fraser and Darren Miller. Players like that are hard to replace when senior clubs snatch them up. Our form after the new year has been abysmal. We've also not been getting the rub of the green lately.

Disappointing season after such a fantastic start.

Maybe the standard has dropped, I don't know. People always look at these things through nostalgic eyes. But has it ever been at professional as it is now?

This is what i mean sometimes people get all misty eyed. A big factor is what you are used to watching.For the first 20 years i supported my team were were playing at a certain level with the odd big game in west or scottish. I compare it to watching my team now and the past 5-10 years and now is of a better standard. Certainly more professional.

Maybe the ayrshire guys were used to watching a better standard years ago , thats fair enough , i guess you can only go by personal experience.

It now looks like Talbot are going to win their third title on the trot, yes it is possible Hurlford could catch and over take Auchinleck but I think Hurlford's back log of games will see them come unstuck.

If truth be told this season's league campaign has been pretty dire the standard has been shocking probably as bad as its ever been a lot of teams are on a par with each other but that doesn't make it a good league. Talbot are the best of a bad lot junior football like every other grade of football in Scotland is at an all time low and sadly it will only get worse over the coming seasons, because we don't have the quality or quantity of youngsters playing the game now.

The current Talbot team are good but the team from the 80s would be doing 9 in a row never mind 3. The quality in the West just now is terrible, games are being won via mistakes rather than great fitba. The recent Cumnock Ladeside game was appalling feckin awful...these games used to be as competitive as feck even the threat of relegation seems to mean little these days. Apart from its first season the Super League has been nowhere near the quality of the old Ayrshire Leagues.

In agreement that standards have dropped since the 1980's/90's, but back then we believed that they had dropped since the 1950's/60's.

If you go back to that era the top junior clubs were losing 4, 5 & 6 player going senior every year, and not just to lower league clubs either, think of Celtic's 67 European cup winning team, 10 had come through the juniors. Similarly Glasgow Rangers Cup winners cup team just a year later, 9 had played junior.

Our Scottish junior cup winning team of 1967, we lost Davie Stewart, goalkeeper, Scottish caps with Leeds United; Stuart Gordon and Billy Clark to St Johnstone, Pat McMahon to Celtic, Billy Wilson, Jimmy Green and Drew Jarvie to Airdrie, Alex Paterson to Glasgow Rangers and our team captain John Fitzsimmons retired from the game aged only 28.

And what happened the following season? We only narrowly lost to eventual cup winners johnstone Burgh in the quarter final. There really was real talent coming through at that time.

We've struggled this season with the loss of two quality midfielders in Sean Fraser and Darren Miller. Players like that are hard to replace when senior clubs snatch them up. Our form after the new year has been abysmal. We've also not been getting the rub of the green lately.

Disappointing season after such a fantastic start.

But did you guys not get Staunton and Keenan from the seniors ? (Possibly others)

I have my thoughts and have given my reasons for my opinion. Spoke to many about this and i would say at least half agree with me.

Fair enough those who don't all about opinions and what you saw back in the day compared to now and recent years.

Spot on mate, thats your opinion and your take on how you see the Junior game then and now, great to read other peoples views and it be halluva boring if we all thought the same, however maybe Rabs have been playing at a higher standard week in week out for the last few years than maybe the standard of team and players you would have been used to when you first watched the Roy 20 odd years back, just a thought.

The consensus seems to be, rightly or wrongly, that the standard has gone down over the last few years. A point that puzzles me is why over this same period, while most workers wages have been pretty stagnant, have junior players wages increased significantly to the point where most clubs seem to be way over stretching their means?

The consensus seems to be, rightly or wrongly, that the standard has gone down over the last few years. A point that puzzles me is why over this same period, while most workers wages have been pretty stagnant, have junior players wages increased significantly to the point where most clubs seem to be way over stretching their means?

Greed perhaps? I've heard it said by a few ex committee men.

The mid 20s+ generation are all about me me me me. And more me!

Just my take on it.

Recent games see Kilbirnie rite up to their necks in the do do now with draws v competitors Shotts and Beith who were today playing for nothing. Despite Kilbirnie not being very good at all I still think they will achieve play off at least as 6 points surely guaranteed v Clydebank

Archived