Players taking step up

Edinburgh University will be partly tax payer funded but I believe it has a lot of English students and also non - EU ones ; all of whom have to pay tuition fees. It will also attract plenty of sponsorship. In the scheme of things football facilities will not be a huge part of the whole Uni budget.

Yeah I get that. But they will be paying tuition fees for there course work. Football is outwith that which as you say will be paid for by the tax payer. It's wrong. Other clubs have to work there bollocks off to fund there facilities where as the uni are given them.

Yeah I get that. But they will be paying tuition fees for there course work. Football is outwith that which as you say will be paid for by the tax payer. It's wrong. Other clubs have to work there bollocks off to fund there facilities where as the uni are given them.

No, their tuition fees go to the university as a whole, paying for things over and above academic provision - subsidised accommodation, social areas and sports - not just football. University funding is very complicated, and tax payers do contribute but I don't think it's accurate to say that the new facilities are purely tax payer funded. Other clubs get grants and subsidies as well, many of which are at least partly tax-payer funded. Perhaps what we need are fewer clubs above amateur level so the limited money can be spent on providing excellent facilities for them.

No, their tuition fees go to the university as a whole, paying for things over and above academic provision - subsidised accommodation, social areas and sports - not just football. University funding is very complicated, and tax payers do contribute but I don't think it's accurate to say that the new facilities are purely tax payer funded. Other clubs get grants and subsidies as well, many of which are at least partly tax-payer funded. Perhaps what we need are fewer clubs above amateur level so the limited money can be spent on providing excellent facilities for them.

I bow to your superior knowledge Mancini. Your last sentence re fewer clubs I completely agree with but that's opening up a whole new can of worms!!!

Archived