Players taking step up

Any of the younger players have a chance of progressing to lowland or senior leagues this season?

When you say step up to the lowland league what team do you class as a step up??

Was thinking about spartans, whitehill or even Berwick, East Fife etc...Just wondered what folks thought about the level of the younger players and who stands out?

as a young lthv team just beat whw 6-1 im not being cheeky here but how would that be a step up ?

Was thinking about spartans, whitehill or even Berwick, East Fife etc...Just wondered what folks thought about the level of the younger players and who stands out?

I would agree with you re Spartans mate, as for the rest of the lowland league teams it certainly wouldn't be a step up for any promising young player. The Lowland league is being made out to be something it isn't apart from a couple of clubs. The rest in my opinion are bang average. No offence to anyone it's just my opinion....

I would agree with you re Spartans mate, as for the rest of the lowland league teams it certainly wouldn't be a step up for any promising young player. The Lowland league is being made out to be something it isn't apart from a couple of clubs. The rest in my opinion are bang average. No offence to anyone it's just my opinion....

What is not a matter of opinion is that the LL is a higher league than EoS. So, closer to SPFL for ambitious kids.

Watched a few of the 19's games last year....some really promising players, also watched a lot of tynie, LTHV & Craigroyston games in premier. IMO there is a lot of talent which could step up easily as I don't think there is a massive jump to the lower leagues of the SPFL, Just wondered about lowland as I haven't seen any of these games. LTHV have just won the league, Whitehill are in a higher division, pre-season.....probably wouldn't read too much into it, however LTHV could be a developing team with extra additions could do well.

What is not a matter of opinion is that the LL is a higher league than EoS. So, closer to SPFL for ambitious kids.

Absolutely Mancini. My point though is why would a really promising kid from LTHV for an example leave a team with great players and a top manager and sign for a club like Threave, gala, Selkirk. I'm not saying the lowland league isn't a higher league. I'm saying the standard, out with 2 or 3 clubs isn't any better than EOS.

Absolutely Mancini. My point though is why would a really promising kid from LTHV for an example leave a team with great players and a top manager and sign for a club like Threave, gala, Selkirk. I'm not saying the lowland league isn't a higher league. I'm saying the standard, out with 2 or 3 clubs isn't any better than EOS.

You're probably right and therefore all trophies will be won by these two or three teams and moment anyone else. BUT by the same logic there'll be a lot of eos teams in the semis and finals of all in competitions this year.

Bang average! You managed the worst club in the LL did you not.

You're probably right and therefore all trophies will be won by these two or three teams and moment anyone else. BUT by the same logic there'll be a lot of eos teams in the semis and finals of all in competitions this year.

I would think so mate. Think it's gonna be a really interesting season.

I think there's an element of wishful thinking going on here, as regards the supposed lack of any difference between the EOSL and the LL. That wasn't my impression watching a variety of games in (and between clubs from) both leagues last season, but ultimately that's only a single opinion. However, we also have a factual measure - simply going through the cup-tie performances of the 15 remaining EOSL clubs against LL opposition.

Lothian Thistle did excellently. They beat Threave 2-1 in the South Cup, humped Gala 4-1 away in the Image Printers Cup, plus won 3-2 away at Stirling in the Alex Jack, aet. They reached the Semi-finals of the South Challenge Cup only losing 5-4 to East Kilbride aet, and the Image Printers Cup Sf.

But beyond LTHV the breakdown is actually really poor. Tynecastle beat Stirling University 2-1 in the Image Printers Cup... and that was it. They also got a draw at Gretna losing on penalties, as did Coldstream. AFAICS, everyone else lost in normal time, over no fewer than 20 ties in total. Half of those were by 3+ goals, 7 by 4+ goals, 5 by 5+ goals, 3 by 6+ goals, 1 by 8 goals - and half of these involved EOSL Premier clubs. No-one bar Lothian Thistle reached the South Challenge Cup all-in stage. Leith did reach the Image Printers Sf, and won the Alex Jack, but faced no LL club other than losing to Whitehill.

I don't see why it would worry anyone, though... As there is nothing wrong with a league effectively sat at tiers 6 & 7 being of a lower standard than a league at tier 5. It's what you'd expect, actually, and it's possibly less pronounced than between some other leagues.

Do you mean EOSL teams? It'll be excellent if that happens, as it'll provide extra interest for these cups, which seem to be slipping down people's priority lists. However, LL clubs have left the King and Alex Jack cups, so it'll only be possible in the South Challenge and Image Printers cups. That in turn will require an improvement, given that only Lothian Thistle plus Leith (without playing any LL club) managed it in those cups last season.

The LL standard IS (much) higher. See HJ's post. And then of course there is the higher visibility for a young player - any SPFL scouts are going to look at LL long before EoS. There is nothing wrong with the Eos not being as high a level as LL, but it does have to be accepted. Also, the continuation of two leagues is a luxury that I feel the EoS cannot afford. I can see the EoS disappearing fairly quickly with the better organised clubs (Duns, Coldstream) going into LL (maybe a two division league by 2016?) and the rump merging with Border Amateurs.

is it not the case that lthv would have been in the lowland league but they dont have the facilities ? which would be the same for tynecastle shame that a city like edinburgh cant supply this like teams out with the city seem to have in abundance

The LL standard IS (much) higher. See HJ's post. And then of course there is the higher visibility for a young player - any SPFL scouts are going to look at LL long before EoS. There is nothing wrong with the Eos not being as high a level as LL, but it does have to be accepted. Also, the continuation of two leagues is a luxury that I feel the EoS cannot afford. I can see the EoS disappearing fairly quickly with the better organised clubs (Duns, Coldstream) going into LL (maybe a two division league by 2016?) and the rump merging with Border Amateurs.

My point is that just as you quite rightly say the standard in the EOS league is poor out with 2 or 3 teams the same is exactly the same for the lowland league. All I was trying to say was that in my opinion a promising youngster would be far better staying with the likes of LTHV than going to a Threave or Selkirk as again in my opinion that would in fact be a huge step back. Nobody can argue the LL isn't higher in a teiring system, but standard?? I just don't know.

is it not the case that lthv would have been in the lowland league but they dont have the facilities ? which would be the same for tynecastle shame that a city like edinburgh cant supply this like teams out with the city seem to have in abundance

But isn't it strange Edinburgh Uni get anything they want??! Paid for by who??

Edinburgh University will be partly tax payer funded but I believe it has a lot of English students and also non - EU ones ; all of whom have to pay tuition fees. It will also attract plenty of sponsorship. In the scheme of things football facilities will not be a huge part of the whole Uni budget.

Archived