6. Stranraer

7. Brechin City

8. Peterhead

9. Ayr United

10. Stirling Albion

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your season last year reminds me of when we were last in the second division and had Gretna in the same league as us at a time when they were going through their money is no object spell. They romped the league like Rangers did last season and we finished second 18 points behind them with 70 points but 13 ahead of Peterhead and Thistle who both had 57 points. We lost the play offs and that was more gutting in many ways to being relegated. At least you lost to a championship side.

The next season we romped the league but as the only truly full time side in the league (from memory Raith had a hybrid squad). This season depends on how well our new guys gel and on signings yet to come. Pars at least have a relatively settled team albeit with Page in it!! It will be interesting.

I think this will be a good league - last year was a freak. We looked solid for the playoffs with a few months of the season to go. This probably blunted our competitive edge and left us in a mess when we played Cowden, who had been used to weeks of scrapping away. I think the League One side(s) in the playoff final this year will be more competitive. Likely to be a close scrap between Pars and Morton for the title and there could be a five or six way scrap over the remaining two places.

Not having to face East Fife at East End should help our points tally too.

I think this will be a good league - last year was a freak. We looked solid for the playoffs with a few months of the season to go. This probably blunted our competitive edge and left us in a mess when we played Cowden, who had been used to weeks of scrapping away. I think the League One side(s) in the playoff final this year will be more competitive. Likely to be a close scrap between Pars and Morton for the title and there could be a five or six way scrap over the remaining two places.

Not having to face East Fife at East End should help our points tally too.

Your point about losing your competitive edge when the competition is over is valid. When we last won league 1/second division, we finished with 77 points of which 1 came from our last three matches.

I don't think that's the same though. The lack of competitive edge didn't seem to hinder Dunfermline in the semi-finals against Stranraer, and a play-off final against Cowdenbeath should have been sufficient for them to put the effort in. The fact is Dunfermline weren't good enough, and actually got cuffed at home in the second leg, after three very competitive games.

The three matches you describe weren't 'competitive' in any event, so it's understandable if you didn't take them very seriously. Not a good comparison in my view.

I don't think that's the same though. The lack of competitive edge didn't seem to hinder Dunfermline in the semi-finals against Stranraer, and a play-off final against Cowdenbeath should have been sufficient for them to put the effort in. The fact is Dunfermline weren't good enough, and actually got cuffed at home in the second leg, after three very competitive games.

The three matches you describe weren't 'competitive' in any event, so it's understandable if you didn't take them very seriously. Not a good comparison in my view.

I'm just pussyfooting around saying that the Cowden defeat shook my faith in Jefferies a bit. Hopefully the 3-0 game against Cowden was just a bad day at the office.

Fair point! I think bottle has an influence also. Basically Morton lost theirs when we lost to Peterhead in the play offs. Watching the game, I thought Dunfermline lost theirs in the return leg and allowed Cowden to bully them.

At least we're not get relegated.

I think we have to play the full fixture list to find out (?).

I suppose tipping Dunfermline to finish first and stirling last is what most people will do. I would rather wait until just before the league starts. Friendlies and cup games should eliminate some of the guesswork.

1. Dunfermline

2. Morton

3. Brechin City

4. Peterhead

5. Stranraer

6. Stenhousemuir

7. Airdrie

8. Forfar Athletic

9. Ayr United

10. Stirling Albion

EDIT: Keep forgetting those pesky Airdrie fuckers changed their name back.

1: Dunfermline - some good signings, especially Moffat. He should score 30+ this season.

2: Morton - staying full time will allow them to attract some decent players and should do well.

3: Stenhousemuir - went to our game at Stirling Uni yesterday and we comfortably beat Dumbarton 2-1. Played some great stuff and were pretty solid at the back. Going to 3 nights a week training can only be a benefit. Possibility of some tinted glasses though.

4: Peterhead - I fancy them to do well this year. A bit of money behind then, McAllister could score a barrel load again.

5: Airdrie - I think Bollan will continue to improve Airdrie. A solid season on the cards this year.

6: Stirling - made a some decent signings in Dorris and both Smiths. Can see them doing well.

7: Ayr - don't think they've brought anyone of real note in and lost Moffat and Lithgow too. Reckon they will be a pretty average team this year.

8: Forfar - don't really fancy them to do well this season. Still cannot believe Hamilton bought Darren Hill!

9: Brechin - a team with Steven Jackson and Colin Hamilton in defence will leak goals. Think they'll finish in playoffs but win them after sacking McKinnon in January.

10: Stranraer - lost Grehan and Stirling off the back of a good season. Think they'll struggle to replace them and go back down to the 4th tier.

No doubt the majority of the above will be complete guff come May!

Archived