Gay Cakes - Should They Be Allowed?

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was nothing offensive on the cake, so it was refused on religious grounds, this is wrong as religion is a lot of pish and god doesn't exist. Anyone who refuses to make such a cake is a bigot and so would you be refusing to make a cake with king billy or 1690.

Agree about religion, but surely any baker could refuse a statement such as King Billy 1690, if they so chose?

It would be great if this bunch of bigots were forced to pay compensation. Then every supporter of a fair and just society could then go into their shop and ask for a similar style cake until they were forced to make them or go bankrupt.

Had they refused to do a cake for a communion or barmitzvah on religious grounds how many would still support it?

^^^^ this

It would be great if this bunch of bigots were forced to pay compensation. Then every supporter of a fair and just society could then go into their shop and ask for a similar style cake until they were forced to make them or go bankrupt.

and this

Surely I have the right not to "service" gay gentlemen?

Serve :oops

There was nothing offensive on the cake, so it was refused on religious grounds, this is wrong as religion is a lot of pish and god doesn't exist. Anyone who refuses to make such a cake is a bigot and so would you be refusing to make a cake with king billy or 1690.

Away and shite.

If you own a business you also have rights, if you don't want to customize a cake, you should be able to without the fear of being taken to court.

Or to put it another way, in a small town if every cake baker refused to bake for gays, or jews how would a minority community not be being discriminated against? If you are providing a service to the community you should not be discriminating against people based on things like race, religion or sexuality.

Serve :oops

Away and shite.

If you own a business you also have rights, if you don't want to customize a cake, you should be able to without the fear of being taken to court.

If you refuse to customise a perfectly reasonable and non offensive cake because of a made up story you deserve to go bust for refusing perfectly good money.

This mob are bigots and I know you are trying to play devils advocate but you are plain wrong, attitudes like the one you are displaying encourage these bigots.

Gay cakes:

Angel cake

Fairy cake

Fondant Fancy

Lemon cake

Fruitcake

Carrot cake

Battenburg cake

Straight Cakes:

Dundee cake

Jaffa cake

Tunnocks teacake

Gingerbread cake

Madeira cake

i would say jaffa has the tendancies to swing both ways.

is there any lesbian cakes?

As for the point on businesses being open to the public, this is true, but surely they have the right to refuse any order? I think their biggest problem was accepting it in the first place then cancelling it.

A business has the right to refuse service to anyone it desires. It does not have the right to refuse service on discriminatory grounds.

If you refuse to customise a perfectly reasonable and non offensive cake because of a made up story you deserve to go bust for refusing perfectly good money.

This mob are bigots and I know you are trying to play devils advocate but you are plain wrong, attitudes like the one you are displaying encourage these bigots.

Piss off.

You've missed my point entirely, it's about the fact they or any business have rights also.

If i decided to go to Liverpool and ask a baker to make me a cake with "I love Maggie Thatcher" chances are they would tell me to f**k off, and they have that right to refuse service. Now if i went into the same bakery in Liverpool and they said "no, we don't serve jocks" thats not on.

You need to understand the difference.

Piss off.

You've missed my point entirely, it's about the fact they or any business have rights also.

They have responsibilities that comes with being given a legal right to do business, a group of like minded business people could shut entire communities out of access to services by ganging up and not serving minority communities.

C'mon Romeo, I wouldn't have thought Enrico was a candidate for encouraging bigots?

They have responsibilities that comes with being given a legal right to do business, a group of like minded business people could shut entire communities out of access to services by ganging up and not serving minority communities.

Again, they said they won't make that cake, they haven't turned around and said they won't serve gay people or wouldn't welcome them into the shop.

I'd laugh if the childrens television workshop sued the company and put them out of business.

Besides, they're hypocrites. They didn't have a problem with stealing the likeness of bert or ernie or creating a graven image but they do have a problem with gay marriage?

What religion are they pretending tobe where those 'morals' are upheld?

You need to understand the difference.

You are trying to make me out to be stupid, not cool.

As far as I am concerned they did discriminate. I the owners had kept it to "we just didn't want to make it" as opposed to the bible, man & woman not 2 men shite, they might have got away with it.

A business has the right to refuse service to anyone it desires. It does not have the right to refuse service on discriminatory grounds.

And in this case, they refused (or claim they refused) because they were uncomfortable with the message, not the people they were serving.

I suspect it would be difficult to prove this as discriminatory.

I'd laugh if the childrens television workshop sued the company and put them out of business.

Besides, they're hypocrites. They didn't have a problem with stealing the likeness of bert or ernie or creating a graven image but they do have a problem with gay marriage?

What religion are they pretending tobe where those 'morals' are upheld?

I'd laugh if they sued the client and the other bakery for stealing the likeness of Bert and Ernie.

And in this case, they refused (or claim they refused) because they were uncomfortable with the message, not the people they were serving.

I suspect it would be difficult to prove this as discriminatory.

They are hiding behind religion and using that as an excuse, all it does is give them a valid reason to refuse to do this.

Again, they said they won't make that cake, they haven't turned around and said they won't serve gay people or wouldn't welcome them into the shop.

This is exactly the behaviour that excludes minorities in small communities. Enforcing their values on them. "You can have a cake but not one that acknowledges your legal relationship". This is the kind of thing that unpopular minorities and immigrants meet in smaller communities.

Archived