The Orange Order and the Independence Debate

jester

OO isn't just solely confined to Glasgow or the west coast

I've never asked someone what school did I go to, despite living here all my life and working right across the city including some desirable areas such a bridgeton

this true had one in Aberdeen a few years ago, as they marched on Union Street, pedestrians turned their back on them, don't think they tried again

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OO isn't just solely confined to Glasgow or the west coast

I've never asked someone what school did I go to, despite living here all my life and working right across the city including some desirable areas such a bridgeton

Can you not remember?

Yes it is.

Never been to West Lothian I take it? If people can move beyond the collective seethe about uppity proles daring to wave the Union Flag publicly, decades after that sort of thing ceased to be seen as being socially acceptable amongst the chattering classes, this recent article by Kevin McKenna in The Guardian may or may not be of interest:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/28/scottish-independence-campaign-needs-orange-gatecrashers?CMP=twt_gu

Personally think the journalist has missed the polling numbers that the Yes vote is at its strongest in areas of high social depravation and at its lowest in those that are most well to do. Maybe looking to set up scapegoats for when it all goes tits up for the Yes side in September?

Never been to West Lothian I take it? If people can move beyond the collective seethe about uppity proles daring to wave the Union Flag publicly, decades after that sort of thing ceased to be seen as being socially acceptable amongst the chattering classes, this recent article by Kevin McKenna in The Guardian may or may not be of interest:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/28/scottish-independence-campaign-needs-orange-gatecrashers?CMP=twt_gu

Personally think the journalist has missed the polling numbers that the Yes vote is at its strongest in areas of high social depravation and at its lowest in those that are most well to do. Maybe looking to set up scapegoats for when it all goes tits up for the Yes side in September?

They just love marches. It's just what working men do. What's the big problem?

I absolutely despise these cuntos. Can't explain my hatred for them, bet RedRob was there.

H*ns, Orcs, Zombies, Bigots, Knuckle-Draggers, DOB's, who's doing the hating here?

H*ns, Orcs, Zombies, Bigots, Knuckle-Draggers, DOB's, who's doing the hating here?

Can you be EXTREMELY SPECIFIC about which one of these terms 1320 Lichtie used in his post you quoted?

Clue: It's somewhere been zero and none.

Which tells me the problem lies with you, my bigoted, unionist chum.

I hope an independent Scotland see's these rats dissapear.

They won't disappear, they'll just eventually settle down and march peacefully, like they do in the Republic of Ireland, Canada, Togo, etc.

They'll finally become what they currently claim to be - a celebration of culture and religious freedom, rather than a very strained and embarassing attempt to assert their vanished supremacy, latched onto by all manner of wee-man syndrome sufferers.

Never understood why the OO think they'd all be persecuted and driven underground in a state that wasn't overtly Protestant and unionist. Didn't they keep their headquarters in Dublin till 1932 without anybody really bothering them?

They won't disappear, they'll just eventually settle down and march peacefully, like they do in the Republic of Ireland, Canada, Togo, etc.

They'll finally become what they currently claim to be - a celebration of culture and religious freedom, rather than a very strained and embarassing attempt to assert their vanished supremacy, latched onto by all manner of wee-man syndrome sufferers.

Never understood why the OO think they'd all be persecuted and driven underground in a state that wasn't overtly Protestant and unionist. Didn't they keep their headquarters in Dublin till 1932 without anybody really bothering them?

You are rather bizarrely equating Unionism with Protestantism.

Whether Scotland secedes or not well still have Protestants with a WATP complex and sectarianism.

My opinion of the "Orange Order" is that they do not see themselves as Scottish they are firstly British and then maybe a small maybe Scottish,they owe their "being" to the British Establishment who now would love to see them buried anomaly or not?

Can you be EXTREMELY SPECIFIC about which one of these terms 1320 Lichtie used in his post you quoted?

Clue: It's somewhere been zero and none.

Which tells me the problem lies with you, my bigoted, unionist chum.

You're right my apologies if that was inferred, it was more of a general post using some of the terms used to describe our club support, & Unionists as a whole.

Including people many on Pie & Bovril who have the same myopic view of their 'archetypal Rangers supporter'.

You don't know me, we've never met or spoken but you'll happily call me a bigot, as my view doesn't necessarily match yours?

I can see clearly where the the intolerance lies,

You accuse people of 'betraying their country' who are you to claim that high ground !!!??
Just keep it going though 'my friend' it's exactly that approach that will put the DK's off voting Yes in September.

this true had one in Aberdeen a few years ago, as they marched on Union Street, pedestrians turned their back on them, don't think they tried again

There hasn't been an OO march in Aberdeen since the late 90's (or possibly 2000/2001, can't recall).

There is very little religion in Aberdeen, it's great.

It's not really that bizarre. The monarch of the United Kingdom must be Protestant, because they are automatically entitled the 'Defender of the Faith and Supreme Governor of the Church of England', a Protestant Church.

The Prime Minister must also be Protestant due to their role in appointing CoE bishops - you couldn't have a Catholic appointing senior members of the CoE, a Protestant Church. There is no statutory bar against a Catholic becoming Prime Minister, but special arrangements would have to be made to prevent them from advising the Crown on CoE appointments - and of course, there has never been a Catholic (or non-Protestant) Prime Minister to date.

It all goes back to the Act of Settlement, which was extended to cover Scotland by the Acts of Union. The recent reform that freed the monarch to marry a Catholic made no change to the fact that the monarch him/herself must be Protestant.

You know all this, so presumably a trap of some kind is being laid.

Whether Scotland secedes or not well still have Protestants with a WATP complex and sectarianism.

The defenders of the faith have aligned themselves with unionism. They state that independence for Scotland is incompatible with protestantism.

If you are looking for bizarre, why not try the orange corner?

The Prime Minister must also be Protestant due to their role in appointing CoE bishops - you couldn't have a Catholic appointing senior members of the CoE, a Protestant Church. There is no statutory bar against a Catholic becoming Prime Minister, but special arrangements would have to be made to prevent them from advising the Crown on CoE appointments - and of course, there has never been a Catholic (or non-Protestant) Prime Minister to date...

Jim Callaghan was from a Irish Roman Catholic family background on his father's side, so it may already have happened. There was some question at the time to whether he had actually always been a Baptist, which was his mother's denomination. Given the legislation in question is an anachronism it's a bit like breaking the law by not attending archery practice every Sunday.

Given the legislation in question is an anachronism it's a bit like breaking the law by not attending archery practice every Sunday.

True, but it's still in force. Not too sure about Callaghan, tbh. I know Disraeli converted when he was young, though I doubt it was because he planned to become Prime Minister.

As far as I know, Callaghan's also the only Prime Minister of the UK ever to have done a manual job, which is interesting when you consider that for most of the UK's history the vast majority of the population did nothing but manual jobs. Well, kind of interesting. Not really.

Archived