The Orange Order and the Independence Debate

jester

Knowing that there would be a watchful eye over their antics today, you would have thought that the Orange Order might have called for it's members and the "always blamed, never ashamed" hangers-on to behave themselves at todays heritage celebrations.

Instead I hear reports of running battles in the strees, and 18 arrests.

As far as I'm aware, British Together, the political wing of the Orange Order was banging the drum for the No campaign today, handing out pro union leaflets at marches across the country.

Is it any wonder there were arrests? There was probably more bother across the central belt which won't even see the news.

300 years of glorious union? Not from where I'm sitting.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/scottish-independence-sectarianism-fears-as-orange-order-to-march-in-edinburgh-against-yes-vote-9352562.html

Wonder if they will ban it or allow it. No doubt fun and games in our nations capital, if it goes ahead, as the campaigning reaches fever pitch

Can't stand them. They go past our flat in Glasgow. My girlfriend and I, being from the cultured North East, had no prior experience of them before moving to Glasgow. They were like the evil creatures you hear about in fairy tales but don't think actually exist, but no, in Glasgow there are actually people who march every Saturday of the summer to proclaim their hatred of Catholics. I'm actually surprised they are still allowed to march, surely enough people have complained about them or there is reasonable cause to think they are inciting hatred?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/scottish-independence-sectarianism-fears-as-orange-order-to-march-in-edinburgh-against-yes-vote-9352562.html

Wonder if they will ban it or allow it. No doubt fun and games in our nations capital, if it goes ahead, as the campaigning reaches fever pitch

Oh they have to allow it.

There will not only be Scottish bowler twats but also Irish and English.

Let them vent their hate.

Let the worlds press who will be in Scotland feast their eyes upon the 21 centuray union.

Allow us Jocks to feel the mortification that they bring to our shores, one more time before we go and vote.

Just dont harm any of the trams.

Why? George is on their side. He's a BritNat too.

They may be on the same side of this debate, but they likely disagree with almost everything else. It's not surprising that reasonable No voters and campaigners are unhappy with bigots like the Orange Order getting involved.

Archived