EAST REGION FIXTURES

mick90

...fixtures for Saturday 9th now up.

edit - although it appears only for the superleague at this time

Not up on the website but clubs now have the first 5 league fixtures.

Aside from the opening day of the season there are no other midweek league fixtures in August :thumbsdown Even if the already drawn Cup ties get slotted in one of the free midweeks it still seems utterly daft to not get some fixtures in early in good weather.

The East if Scotland cup 1st round is first week in September and there is only the 1 midweek fixture....the fixture secretary has a very hard job and does very well at it without people complaining about it and same as last season with 1 midweek teams were still finished in April

As we now have no local league cup games the reality is that for a 7PM kick the only weeks you could potentially play a midweek game is w/c 4 and 11 August. The nights fair draw in in August !!

...West managing to play midweek on the 20th. :rolleyes:

With the lgue starting midweek on the 6th... And the rule of not bing allowed to play the first friendly / game till the 3rd sat in July, disni leave much scope for 6 friendlies, give all ur sqd game time.

Time to look at the 3rd Sat?

Stevie 100% Agree.

The 3rd Saturday is Crazy - as James said some finished their season in April so thats a big gap without any gate income or playing time

l also think that it puts our Scottish Cup teams at a big disadvantage. Most of the non junior sides are into their stride by the time the Cup games come whilst we are still a few weeks behind.

Also regarding the Scottish Cup I find it staggering that Linlithgow and Bo'ness were not given Byes in the East of Scotland Cup. With the dates close I would have thought a good idea would see the EOS played the same weekend as the Scottish so that Linlithgow and Boness dont fall behind with their league games.

I would liked to have seen 1 more midweek round of games played in August. If not league matches then the 1st round of the Fife and Lothians.

The regions view that teams seasons would be over in the 1st month doesnt wash with the increase in promotion and relegation from a few years ago.

And who can change the 3rd Saturday rule at any time? Presumably it still exists because the clubs want it to be that way. Like most other elements of chaos in this grade, the answer always comes back to the same place.

And who can change the 3rd Saturday rule at any time? Presumably it still exists because the clubs want it to be that way. Like most other elements of chaos in this grade, the answer always comes back to the same place.

Cant argue with that - just giving my view as a supporter.

However I think in view of your club working hard to gain the licence and Bo'ness more than likely to be there or there abouts in terms of the league I feel that it is up to both of you to 'lead the way' in terms of putting forward a rule change.

That is if you agree with me that there is a slight disadvantage to Linlithgow and especially Bo'ness when it comes to playing in the Scottish this season.

From a supporters point of view the only Disadvantages seem to be

- players not getting enough of a break (however with most pre seasons starting early July this isnt major)

- parks not getting enough recovery time for re seading etc (again with some clubs finishing in April this isnt a problem for them - It would be up to those with ground issues to organise away games or 3g venues)

Advantages

- Clubs including the big Scottish teams start the season on a level playing field with the EOS and Lowland teams ensuring their quality gets them through the early rounds

- clubs who finished their season in April can get money in (even a few quid from friendlies) season tickets etc and have more time to promote their league games

- Players point of view - I would imagine they would rather be playing football instead of running up and down hills or along beaches.

Might be wrong... but from threads on here and FitbaNorth, I recall the "3rd Saturday in July" rule was up for removal at last years's AGM?

I think the story was as follows: the North Juniors were unhappy about it as they often start a bit earlier that the East and West regions and rarely finish as late. They proposed scrapping it entirely, or allowing regions to opt-out (i.e. so they in the North could). Neither passed, courtesy East+West voters?

Archived