SEVEN JUNIORS in new Scottish Cup ..

mick90

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Girvan were originally amateurs who had joined the SFA years ago and played in the Scottish Qualifying Cup. They kept their SFA membership after going Junior. It was a fiddle but seemingly there was nothing in the rule book to stop it so why not?

The clubs who haven't earned the right to be there by winning football competitions aren't representing junior football and therefore I hope they face embarrassing first round exits to also-rans from the Highland and Lowland leagues

Why are BoD and Lithi in?

Both have got the SFA Licenses and go straight into Round 1 while Talbot, Hurlford, Boness etc in preliminary rounds. Strong Junior representation this year and if not drawn v each other or top Highland league team then fancy Linlithgow, Talbot, Boness and Hurlford to get at least to 2nd Round or even 3rd Round and beyond.

Why are BoD and Lithi in?

As stated above, they have obtained SFA membership, and are now like Girvan (i.e. both Senior and Junior). Except they're actually better than Girvan as they've got their licences - which of course is what enabled them to get SFA membership, as the criteria are now identical.

And as well as those 3, who are Senior & Junior at the same time, Glasgow University are also (for now) Amateurs & Juniors at the same time. Licenced clubs are exempt from Preliminaries, hence they start in R1 while Girvan - and the Junior qualifiers - start in the Preliminary Round.

Also starting in the Preliminary are all the other unlicenced SFA members. Plus a Senior qualifier, Lothian THV, the EOS League champions.

Despite what the OP says this isn't a new format, none of the rules have changed. It's just that more and more clubs are getting licenced, not just these 2 Juniors but also clubs in HL and LL too.

Infact... this time next year - as things stand - there could only be space for a few unlicenced clubs to play their way into R1 (or "the competition proper" if you prefer the old-school terminology!). E.g. if HL (18 clubs) & LL (16 clubs) were at their intended licenced complements, their R1 entrants would be taking-up 30 of 36 R1 places.

This season seems a bit of an oddity, but it rewards clubs for investing in facilities, not just in playing squads. In any case... unless they draw each other or (perhaps) someone like Cove/Dalbeattie/LTHV, the Junior qualifiers should comfortably progress.

Barrfield continuing his quest to be the most stupid poster on the site. He is succeeding.

Because I think that junior clubs should earn the right to compete in the competition? It's a very valid opinion and one that I will no doubt share with a decent percentage of junior fans. Bo'ness slug all year to win a league only for the runners up to waltz in, hardly seems fair. Your just looking for an excuse to comment on me, and looking very desperate in the process

Girvan are members of the sfa and take their place in the Scottish Cup. Playing in it hasn't stopped the quota of Junior teams playing in the Scottish Cup. If we had cut the quota of Juniors teams YES shout then but I for one don't see the hassle

Girvan are members of the sfa and take their place in the Scottish Cup. Playing in it hasn't stopped the quota of Junior teams playing in the Scottish Cup. If we had cut the quota of Juniors teams YES shout then but I for one don't see the hassle

It's just the fact that anyone could feasibly obtain a license. Fair enough if they want to compete in the competition, but they aren't representing junior football in doing so. I've never thought that Girvan were representing junior football, in fact every year people moan on here about how they have automatic entry while other clubs have to earn it. Now that Linlithgow have a license that's all forgotten though.

To paint a scenario, if Talbot drew Lithgae in the junior cup, I'd probably want Lithgae to win. But if they drew each other in the senior cup, I'd want Talbot to walk it

Because I think that junior clubs should earn the right to compete in the competition? It's a very valid opinion and one that I will no doubt share with a decent percentage of junior fans. Bo'ness slug all year to win a league only for the runners up to waltz in, hardly seems fair.

Linlithgow have invested the necessary time and energy to get their entry licence and obtain SFA membership. Bo'ness hasn't.

Bo'ness have won their league. Linlithgow hasn't.

Now of course Girvan haven't done either, they participate via historical quirk.

I can see why you would criticise Girvan / desire them eliminated. Less so Rose.

When you say "Junior clubs should earn the right to compete", do you mean you're against Junior clubs getting licences or becoming SFA members?

Because I think that junior clubs should earn the right to compete in the competition? It's a very valid opinion and one that I will no doubt share with a decent percentage of junior fans. Bo'ness slug all year to win a league only for the runners up to waltz in, hardly seems fair. Your just looking for an excuse to comment on me, and looking very desperate in the process

I could be talking out of turn here but I'm sure Bo'ness see the prize for slugging all year as being the actual league title, not entry into the big cup. That's a nice-to-have.

It's just the fact that anyone could feasibly obtain a license. Fair enough if they want to compete in the competition, but they aren't representing junior football in doing so. I've never thought that Girvan were representing junior football, in fact every year people moan on here about how they have automatic entry while other clubs have to earn it. Now that Linlithgow have a license that's all forgotten though.

To paint a scenario, if Talbot drew Lithgae in the junior cup, I'd probably want Lithgae to win. But if they drew each other in the senior cup, I'd want Talbot to walk it

I'm sure both Talbot and Linlithgow will take your leaning into account and take heart from it should they meet each other next season. It could make all the difference!

Linlithgow have invested the necessary time and energy to get their entry licence and obtain SFA membership. Bo'ness hasn't.

Bo'ness have won their league. Linlithgow hasn't.

Now of course Girvan haven't done either, they participate via historical quirk.

I can see why you would criticise Girvan / desire them eliminated. Less so Rose.

When you say "Junior clubs should earn the right to compete", do you mean you're against Junior clubs getting licences or becoming SFA members?

Yes. It's a senior competition and until there's a nationwide pyramid junior clubs should only compete when they've earned the right by actually winning a football competition. The whole licensing thing will just mean our most financially secure clubs will end up competing in the senior cup regardless of what they win, which will lead to them strengthening their financial grip and could suffocate the junior game

I could be talking out of turn here but I'm sure Bo'ness see the prize for slugging all year as being the actual league title, not entry into the big cup. That's a nice-to-have.

!

I'm sure they will, but one of the major perks of winning your league/Scottish cup is surely the opportunity to compete in the senior cup and earn money and build your club? What if the champions league added a "champions league license" where clubs like Man Utd could just waltz in because they've thrown enough money at it

ETA: you'd no doubt change your tune should Linlithgow eliminate you from the competition and are rewarded with an away tie at Celtic Park or Ibrox

I'm sure they will, but one of the major perks of winning your league/Scottish cup is surely the opportunity to compete in the senior cup and earn money and build your club? What if the champions league added a "champions league license" where clubs like Man Utd could just waltz in because they've thrown enough money at it

That happens now, pal, just in a different way. Man City, PSG and Monaco will show that.

The difference is these clubs are actually spending money on the infrastructure at the club and improving safety, comfort for supporters and a legacy for the future. I for one think that is to be commended.

Archived