Yoko Ono's Glastonbury 'Performance'

Worst performance I've seen myself was a band called The Business. Dunno what they've done since I seen them, but at this point, they were a proper little Sex Pistols tribute act. I don't like the Sex Pistols much myself, but this lot were far far worse than I could have imagined.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember when I lived near Liverpool in 2004. Yoko Ono was asked to do an art installation which they were going to hang from lampposts in the city centre.

Under the banner "My Mummy Was Beautiful" she arranged massive pictures of breasts and vaginas.

art_breast_home_203x152.jpg The artwork in Church Street But is it art? by Paul Coslett
As part of the Biennial International Exhibition, Yoko Ono has created a work entitled My Mummy Was Beautiful. A homage to motherhood the exhibition includes images of a woman's breast and crotch being displayed across the city centre. t.gif
t.gif

The Liverpool Biennial 04 has begun with Liverpool's city centre streets plastered with banners of women's breasts and crotch. The controversial artwork called My Mummy Was Beautiful has been created by Yoko Ono and is on display across the city centre and at Liverpool John Lennon Airport.

church_st_art_mid_150x200.jpg

Yoko Ono says she's created the piece out of her affection for the city and to remember John Lennon's love for his own mother who was killed in a car accident when he was 18.

The Liverpool Biennial includes paintings selected by Jarvis Cocker, a house on the Mersey dedicated to Abba, ballroom dancing and the chance to take a trip round Liverpool in a vintage Yugo car.

What do you think of the city centre artwork? Is it shocking? Is it creative? Should we really be bothered? Post your comments here.

t.gif last updated: 16/09/04

I remember walking through Liverpool City Centre as they were putting them up, thinking, "That won't last long up there..."

Sure enough they had to take them down after protests.

:lol:

Top bombing...

I'd put this in the music section of the forum but it'd be an insult to music. There is no 'music' involved. Has there ever been a worse performance? Be it a singer, someone on Britain's Got Talent or a comedian?

What is the worst 'performance', musical or otherwise you have seen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAZTzaQ-sSc

I might not recover from this. She actually follows me on Twitter, no idea why. One of the worst things I've ever heard in my life.

Yoko Ono is a dreadful blight on humanity. Governments bang on about the 'War On Terror' but that was lost long ago when this abysmal cuntress was unleashed on humanity.

Who actually likes her? And why is she still alive? She didn't just break up The Beatles, she's been responsible for every single band breaking up ever such is her unrelenting awfulness.

She embodies all the popular P&Bisms. 'Verge of tears', 'Scrambling for relevance', 'Trying too hard', 'You seem upset' and so on. All could be replaced with just 'Yoko Ono'.

Think she is genuinely insane. There's a conspiracy theory that she was the mastermind behind John Lennon's death. More than likely nonsense, but if Chapman hadn't done it, I certainly wouldn't have ruled her bumping him off at some point.

Yoko Ono is a dreadful blight on humanity.

No she isn't.

She's an artist who you can easily chose to ignore if you don't like her work, just like hundreds, maybe thousands, of others working in the modern art scene.

The dreadful blight on humanity are the sort of people who have been subjecting her to dreadful racial and sexist abuse for the last 4 decades or so.

I'm not particularly a fan of her work, or her as a person, but the fact that she made John Lennon, in my opinion, the greatest artist of the 20th century, happy for probably the only time in his life means as far as I'm concerned she can do whatever she wants at Glastonbury.

Ya Bezzer!, on 08 Jul 2014 - 15:40, said:

No she isn't.

She's an artist who you can easily chose to ignore if you don't like her work, just like hundreds, maybe thousands, of others working in the modern art scene.

The dreadful blight on humanity are the sort of people who have been subjecting her to dreadful racial and sexist abuse for the last 4 decades or so.

I'm not particularly a fan of her work, or her as a person, but the fact that she made John Lennon, in my opinion, the greatest artist of the 20th century, happy for probably the only time in his life means as far as I'm concerned she can do whatever she wants at Glastonbury.

Whit?

There's the train of thought that she broke up the Beatles, she's an utter c**t of a human being - Not that breaking up the Beatles and being a c**t are related.

John Lennon's not near the greatest artist of the 20th century either when the likes of Frank Sinatra and Elvis are much more iconic but I suppose that is down to opinion.

Making John Lennon happy is not really relevant for me considering he was a wife-beating scumbag who gave the women in his life a dreadful time but not only that his cruel emotional torture that he subjected Julian to. Is Lennon even that talented? For every hit he produced and there was some fine ones such as 'Imagine', he produced a lyrically nonsensical ramble. He's also the equivalent to your typical Pete Doherty type of today in that he was a relentless drug addict who was famous but also craved to be famous and was a desperate attention seeker.

Lennon then went on to of course put financial backing into violent groups such as the Black Panthers so to sum it all up, Yoko can be called an absolute c**t purely for making Lennon happy, which she probably did as he was beating seven shades out of her. (The last sentence is sarcasm obviously)

And this all comes from a person who likes Lennon's hits.

Whit?

There's the train of thought that she broke up the Beatles, she's an utter c**t of a human being - Not that breaking up the Beatles and being a c**t are related.

John Lennon's not near the greatest artist of the 20th century either when the likes of Frank Sinatra and Elvis are much more iconic but I suppose that is down to opinion.

Making John Lennon happy is not really relevant for me considering he was a wife-beating scumbag who gave the women in his life a dreadful time but not only that his cruel emotional torture that he subjected Julian to. Is Lennon even that talented? For every hit he produced and there was some fine ones such as 'Imagine', he produced a lyrically nonsensical ramble. He's also the equivalent to your typical Pete Doherty type of today in that he was a relentless drug addict who was famous but also craved to be famous and was a desperate attention seeker.

Lennon then went on to of course put financial backing into violent groups such as the Black Panthers so to sum it all up, Yoko can be called an absolute c**t purely for making Lennon happy, which she probably did as he was beating seven shades out of her. (The last sentence is sarcasm obviously)

And this all comes from a person who likes Lennon's hits.

1) Yoko Ono didn't split up the Beatles.

2) Elvis and Frank Sinatra, to my knowledge, never wrote a song between them. Hard to really describe them artists in that regard. Lennon not only wrote his own songs, something that was quite revolutionary in its own right at the time, but completely altered the boundaries of songwriting with things like 'Tomorrow Never Knows', 'Strawberry Fields', 'Rain', etc, etc. You could hardly say Frank Sinatra altered social history, although you might make the case for Elvis, but I would counter that by saying the original wave of rock n' roll had died on it's arse by the time he joined the army.

3) On cuntiness, not generally a criteria used in judging an artist, Sinatra's connections with the mafia hardly mark him out as a morally pure human being.

The rest I can't be bothered to counter since you are probably trolling and I've got better things to do that turn out an essay.

If Lennon was an attention seeker why did he go into a 5 year hiatus to look after his son Sean? John knew he fucked up terribly with Julian and hated himself for it as he also did with hitting woman - at the time of his death he had expressed great regret for being that person and had resolved to change his ways.

As for asking if John was that talented - what a stupid question.

I dislike and dont stand for what he did by the way.

As for Yoko's 'performance' - its unlistenable garbage. But then so is every other piece of music she's ever recorded.

Look. That performance is pish. Do I give a f**k about anything else surrounding it? No. Am I offended in any way that she was at Glastonbury performing her brand of pish? No. If they see it as fine to book her then f**k it, they put together a fairly terrific lineup this year, so there was a load of other things to do down there instead of watch her, and nobody forced me or anyone else to watch it on YouTube/BBC either.

Archived