What would it take for you to vote no?

Spain

What would it take for you to vote "No"?  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know there's trust issues (and historically just ones at that) that Westminster would offer something then change their mind and strip powers instead, but in the purely hypothetical situation that all the options above were 100% definitely going to happen if we chose it, which of these would be enough for you to vote no?

For me, Full Federalisation of the UK is the holy grail out of all of this, with an Independent Scotland as the next best thing. If we were guaranteed Federalisation, I'd happily vote no. The likelihood of us ever getting Federalisation is what makes me more likely to vote yes instead, for the second best option.

So anyway, without getting bogged down too much in a yes vs no spat, what would it take for the yes-voters to become no-voters?

Disclaimer: No I don't work for the Government, Yes Scotland, Better Together or any research/polling company.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose if a Unionist held a gun to my head on Polling Day, then I might vote No.

I'd still have to think about it though.

Probably a federal UK or a persuasion that salaries will be significantly lower in an independent Scotland

You're a Yes now, then?

I'm most certainly not against the idea of a federalised UK. If I honestly thought there was a chance of that happening I would put serious consideration into voting no, but I honestly do not see it happening no matter how idealistic the promises of it happening are.

EDIT: For anyone that has read into asymmetrical state sizes and all that jazz, they'll know that Devo Max for us is just a bit short of it being effectively a lateral move with the Scotland Act 2012 coming into force.

I'm most certainly not against the idea of a federalised UK. If I honestly thought there was a chance of that happening I would put serious consideration into voting no, but I honestly do not see it happening no matter how idealistic the promises of it happening are.

EDIT: For anyone that has read into asymmetrical state sizes and all that jazz, they'll know that Devo Max for us is just a bit short of it being effectively a lateral move with the Scotland Act 2012 coming into force.

Hence my disclaimer at the start, along the hypothetical premise that "if you vote for it, it happens".

I'd agree I just can't see it happening, but it would be my preference.

I'm leaning that way. I still *want* to vote No but it got to the point where I couldn't justify it any more.

:thumsup2

The only real justifications for voting No, imo, are if you don't really see Scotland as a country and more a region of the UK or if you feel your livelihood is directly under threat from independence.

In every other argument, again imo, the information is out there that we are perfectly capable and have the resources to survive in this world as an independent nation. We could then elect our own government to focus on our own problems using our own resources.

There is of course no guarantee we would make it a success, but voting no for that reason is an absolutely pathetic stance to take.

A fully federal UK seems like the sensible option to me, given the fact you all live on a relatively small island. Had that option been available, I would have backed folk to vote it. It's not though, and probable never will be, so yes is the only realistic option for any kind of long term change.

I've got a mortgage, pension pot, savings and shares. On paper a lot to lose. On paper at least, not by any means an archetypal "scheme monkey" that Reynard mockingly portrays the yes vote. Then again I've had a fair bit of luck and a few folk taking me under their wing- not school tie fashion i may add.

Then you get pompous, patronising new town arseholes like i had in work yesterday with a "vote no borders" wristband and i simply cannot bring myself to vote with c***s like that.

I came from a poor background, but I've seen no evidence if we vote no that regular folk will have a chance to succeed. A yes vote offers an opportunity at least.

Federalisation would certainly make me consider a No, but probably wouldn't swing it for me.

That's kind of the way I feel. I'd have to know more about it would work to think about it, though.

It will never be on the table in reality, as it requires a kind of mutual respect among the members of the federation.

The complete lack of willingness to devolve further powers without the threat of Independence, as well as Westminster's insistence on a vote for Indy or No Change is a pretty clear indicator of just how far from federalism the current London parties are. Which is kinda odd considering their deep love of all things American.

No option for "being bribed with millions of pounds and hot chicks"?

I think that would unfairly remove the need for any other option TBH.

Archived