Prestwick Airport & Ryanair

If you're finding some solace in continually thinking I'm upset, then so be it.

You may or may not have made a c**t of yourself in the original post ,but then again, "maybe" that's just my opinion

.........................................................................News Just In............ Arbroath may or may not be the capital of Scotland

You were upset enough to post an expletive when I mentioned something I heard to be the case with Prestwick airport, didn't say fact

Now you have called me a cnut.....for saying Prestwick has a long runway, if you are like this away from your keyboard you must be a joy to live with

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure why the should have developed Prestwick, why develop an airport 30 miles from your City Centre- even Heathrow is only 20miles from London.

Your comments on Ayrshire Tourism aren't far off though! Missed the inevitable ned riot on the beach! :lol:

The only feasible way Prestwick would be re-developed is if a major airline wanted to use it as a hub, like Ryanair were but on a larger scale, they have the aviation engineering skillset locally from Aerospace and a pretty clear schedule with inbound and outbound flights

I don't see it though

I've no idea what city Gothenburg City is near either. Definitely not Gothenburg though.

it is about 7 mile closer Goteborg than the main Goteborg airport(witch is the 2nd largest in Sweden behind Stockholm Arlanda Airport witch itself 23 mile from Stockholm)

You were upset enough to post an expletive when I mentioned something I heard to be the case with Prestwick airport, didn't say fact

Now you have called me a cnut.....for saying Prestwick has a long runway, if you are like this away from your keyboard you must be a joy to live with

Where did I call you a c**t?

Don't you understand what may of may not means ?

It's similar to using the word "maybe"

Also if you class "utter pish" as an expletive you need to take a wee look at yourself mate and stop

being such a sensitive wee soul

Right

I'm off for a curry, which may or may not be Indian

Where did I call you a c**t?

Don't you understand what may of may not means ?

It's similar to using the word "maybe"

Also if you class "utter pish" as an expletive you need to take a wee look at yourself mate and stop

being such a sensitive wee soul

Right

I'm off for a curry, which may or may not be Indian

Why so hostile?

They've only cancelled one daily flight to Dublin.

The problem is though, that when Ryanair started using Edinburgh they started off with the odd flight being moved. Then it became more and more.

Your comments on Ayrshire Tourism aren't far off though! Missed the inevitable ned riot on the beach! :lol:

They are quite far off tbh (not the bit about weegies). In my experience there are loads of Americans, Germans and Dutch people every summer come to Burns country.

well you have to say , although they're not in any imediate danger the long term future doesnt look too good for them, can someone give me a hiistory lesson here? how did west central scotland end up with 2 large (ish) international airports? it just doesnt seem to add up for me, wthout ryanair theyd surely be shut now im guessing. once ryanair move some of their popular routes to glasgow they could easily can the rest. why book a flight to an airport which is more or less the same train time away from glasgow as edinburgh which ryyanair also go to

Guest The Phoenix
well you have to say , although they're not in any imediate danger the long term future doesnt look too good for them.

Diegomarahenry and Unleash The Nade?

Guest The Phoenix
They need to get a room.

Does Prestwick Airport have a Travelodge?

Yeah, it's in Greenock.

how did west central scotland end up with 2 large (ish) international airports?

Well Prestwick is south west Scotland. Glasgow Airport replaced Renfrew airport. The long straight on the M8 just after Glasgow Airport (eastbound) was the site of the runway. Renfrew Airport was decommissioned in 1966.

Prestwick Airport has been there since the 1930's and for many years was the only transatlantic airport in Scotland.

Prestwick Airport has been there since the 1930's and for many years was the only transatlantic airport in Scotland.

You should have qualified that with a 'maybe' so the resident forum virgins could have frantically googled to prove you wrong.

Well Prestwick is south west Scotland. Glasgow Airport replaced Renfrew airport. The long straight on the M8 just after Glasgow Airport (eastbound) was the site of the runway. Renfrew Airport was decommissioned in 1966.

I was under the impression that Prestwick became the main international airport for the Glasgow area (an upgraded version of an existing airport there) because of that area's lack of fog but was then essentially replaced by Glasgow airport when BAA took over the latter and restrictions there were lifted?

I.e. would have had an international facility in Glasgow at the time if they could... but they couldn't, but then they could a few years on... and so did.

I think it was also the main airport for the transfer of freight by air.

I was under the impression that Prestwick became the main international airport for the Glasgow area (an upgraded version of an existing airport there) because of that area's lack of fog but was then essentially replaced by Glasgow airport when BAA took over the latter and restrictions there were lifted?

I.e. would have had an international facility in Glasgow at the time if they could... but they couldn't, but then they could a few years on... and so did.

Pretty much but I think there were political aspects at play too. Transatlantic traffic was valuable.

Fog isn't as common these days, nor is it a huge issue at airports like Glasgow, although it obviously slows things down. Airports close to capacity struggle most- Heathrow etc.

Archived