Prestwick Airport & Ryanair

Whilst flying back from Australia I got talking to a lassie that worked for Emirates and she said that one of their possible plans for the future was to turn Prestwick into Emirates hub for flights going on to America.

Seems unlikely. Emirates planes can get everywhere in America non-stop from Dubai and they now have a lounge in Glasgow. They do have a 1 stop flight via Milan Malpensa in any case.

Canada is more likely since the Canadian government and UAE don't get on- you could register planes in the EU and fly them to Canada then onto Dubai.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prestwick has a longer runway (maybe the longest in the UK) and is the only airport certain planes can land at in the UK, it is also less fog bound than both Glasgow and Edinburgh......These are the only things it has going for it though

I dare say the Scottish government will have bought it for a reason, Maybe direct flights to China or the US or whatever other country they are cosying up to at the moment, They can reduce the landing tax there to tempt new routes.....

Total pish!

Local knowledge/folklore......Why I put the "maybe" at the end, I am not going to research the lengths of runways in the UK though

you seem angry and upset at the possibility of Prestwick having a longer runway......have I hit a nerve ?

Local knowledge/folklore......Why I put the "maybe" at the end, I am not going to research the lengths of runways in the UK though

you seem angry and upset at the possibility of Prestwick having a longer runway......have I hit a nerve ?

Erm ,no, just a simple search on Google would have told you it wasn't.

I couldn't give a toss tbh , but I suppose with you coming from Ayrshire you were clinging to the hope that Prestwick airport was famous for something, apart from being a shithole

Erm ,no, just a simple search on Google would have told you it wasn't.

I couldn't give a toss tbh , but I suppose with you coming from Ayrshire you were clinging to the hope that Prestwick airport was famous for something, apart from being a shithole

Don't forget their use of "pure dead brilliant" as a tagline about fifteen years after anyone actually used the phrase. They've ditched it now, and plan a cutting edge "Prestwick: Gonnae no' do that" campaign.

If a plane is hijacked it is sent to a certain airport as it can be contained easier.

That's a bit retro since 9/11 - the old days of a hijacked plane sitting on the tarmac at an airport while negotiations go on are long gone. Any plane hijacked these days would be unlikely to be "landed" anywhere in the conventional sense.

Don't forget their use of "pure dead brilliant" as a tagline about fifteen years after anyone actually used the phrase. They've ditched it now, and plan a cutting edge "Prestwick: Gonnae no' do that" campaign.

They could always edit the original tag line to "Pure dead" which is more accurate

That's a bit retro since 9/11 - the old days of a hijacked plane sitting on the tarmac at an airport while negotiations go on are long gone. Any plane hijacked these days would be unlikely to be "landed" anywhere in the conventional sense.

Yes and no- old school hijackings have happened post 9/11, including the Ethiopian one to Switzerland. They'll also land planes there if there are threats made against them- bombs etc. In any instance this can be done without a passenger terminal- plenty of freight only airports in US.

Prestwick is fecked with that few flights. They've moved all the business type flights to Glasgow because business passengers don't want to feck about going down the M77 when there is an airport a few miles out the city.

It's pretty grim news. But it's been here before. Where does it go. f**k knows. O'Leary made noises when they suggested they remove Glasgow from the Airport's name. Perhaps it's just him being a c**t. But tough times ahead for the airport. IIRC correctly it's twenty years this year since the first Ryanair flight. Although they aren't completely deserting the place it's still a major blow.

Haha , aye right ol, if you say so and if it helps you try and deflect from the fact you made a fud of yourself :)

Do you understand the word "maybe"?

As for it being a 'shithole', please stay away, I'm sure we'll be fine ;)

Archived