Of course Wick have never won HL, and their highest finish in recent decades was 3rd in 2012-13. This season was Brora's first ever title.

It would obviously be an extra logistical challenge compared to other clubs for Brora, Wick or Fort William (not that they will ever get close to coming up) to play in SPFL, due to the extra travelling. However it clearly could be done: there will be vastly more prizemoney in SPFL than HL for example. Brora are bankrolled by a sugardaddy already. For the away teams it's only 2 trips per year. You could also draw a parallel with Scottish Rugby, where the likes of Caithness have played in the National Leagues; even Orkney and Shetland play in their Northern League, stretching all the way to Dundee, Fife, Stirlingshire and Clackmannan.

(Incidentally, largely amateur Scottish rugby has 46 clubs playing nationwide, being 4 more than Scottish football!! It peaked at 72).

Yesterday's results:

Arbroath 2-2 Brora

East Stirlingshire 2-2 Inverurie Loco Works

Gretna 0-2 Annan

East Kilbride 1-4 Clyde

Montrose 2-1 Buckie

I know they've been in the Highland League for 20 years, but you make it sound like they've been members for 100! :lol:

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SPFL clubs... Dundee, Dundee United, Inverness, Ross County; Brechin, Forfar, Peterhead; Arbroath, Elgin, Montrose

HL clubs... all

Junior clubs... all North Region clubs; plus East Region clubs from Dundee; Broughty Ferry; Carnoustie, Blairgowrie, Kirriemuir; Arbroath Brechin; Forfar; Montrose; but not Scone.

Just to be pedantic... Aberdeen???

Also, are you 100% sure St. Johnstone are exempt from that list???

(I'm a sucker for lists me!!! :ph34r: )

BSC Glasgow will be above Berwick within 4 seasons, championship in 10.

It baffles me that Broomhill were allowed into the league without a stadium. As a community club in the West End of Glasgow, it's a decent concept. It would be difficult to build a modest fanbase in the local area, but there is absolutely zero chance of it happening at Ashfield.

It baffles me that Broomhill were allowed into the league without a stadium. As a community club in the West End of Glasgow, it's a decent concept. It would be difficult to build a modest fanbase in the local area, but there is absolutely zero chance of it happening at Ashfield.

Springburn's an area which exudes a strong community feel, and in Ashfield they've a temporary home which is modern and filled with character.

:1eye

Springburn's an area which exudes a strong community feel, and in Ashfield they've a temporary home which is modern and filled with character.

:1eye

Ashfield isn't too bad tbf. Been to the speedway there and I've certainly seen more poorly maintained stadiums at league level. However, being allowed into the league without any concrete plans of a home ground is an absolute joke.

BSCG weren't allowed in "without a stadium", that would clearly be impossible. They planned to use the speedway stadium at Ashfield, but it seems they're now going with Maryhill - which seems a better fit on a number of fronts (e.g. closer to their traditional area, better-kept, already floodlit).

Unless they prove to be constantly chopping-n-changing each season I don't see the issue tbh, East Stirlingshire have groundshared for years and Stirling University do too.

Theirs is certainly an unorthodox route into Senior football but I'm prepared to hold proper judgement until the end of the season, as I did with EK.

BSCG weren't allowed in "without a stadium", that would clearly be impossible. They planned to use the speedway stadium at Ashfield, but it seems they're now going with Maryhill - which seems a better fit on a number of fronts (e.g. closer to their traditional area, better-kept, already floodlit).

Unless they prove to be constantly chopping-n-changing each season I don't see the issue tbh, East Stirlingshire have groundshared for years and Stirling University do too.

Theirs is certainly an unorthodox route into Senior football but I'm prepared to hold proper judgement until the end of the season, as I did with EK.

You know fine well what I meant by "without a stadium." Shire weren't admitted into the league without a stadium, unfortunate circumstances dictated that they had to leave Firs Park. Broomhill is about three miles from Lochburn Park, so they can't expect to build a fan base from nothing from their "local" area if their home ground is going to be in another area of the city. I'd be fully supportive of them if they had some sort of coherent plan to play within their own community. They don't, so I'm not.

You know fine well what I meant by "without a stadium." Shire weren't admitted into the league without a stadium, unfortunate circumstances dictated that they had to leave Firs Park. Broomhill is about three miles from Lochburn Park, so they can't expect to build a fan base from nothing from their "local" area if their home ground is going to be in another area of the city. I'd be fully supportive of them if they had some sort of coherent plan to play within their own community. They don't, so I'm not.

They should asked the rest of Scottish football to subsidise their stadium claimed they were amatuer and paid exorbitant expenses

Mind you it would never be allowed would it

They should asked the rest of Scottish football to subsidise their stadium claimed they were amatuer and paid exorbitant expenses

Mind you it would never be allowed would it

Remind me. Which roundabout infested provincial town are Clyde showing a bit of ankle to this week?

Or do a Clyde and get different organisations to build a ground for them. Refuse to pay rent and then when finally forced cry until the rent is reduced to pennies.

Exactly ????

Archived