• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can imagine the headache that the Berwick team would suffer from having to travel to Wick for an away game.

Plus would Wick even want to come up considering the extra strain on finances to travel hundreds of miles more every other week to play away games.

Coldstream lost 9-1 away in 2011 and 6-0 at home last year. Berwick beat Wick 1-0. Hugely surprising considering the number of Coldstream players who could 'walk into the Berwick team' at the time. (Local football experts opinion).

Of course Wick have never won HL, and their highest finish in recent decades was 3rd in 2012-13. This season was Brora's first ever title.

It would obviously be an extra logistical challenge compared to other clubs for Brora, Wick or Fort William (not that they will ever get close to coming up) to play in SPFL, due to the extra travelling. However it clearly could be done: there will be vastly more prizemoney in SPFL than HL for example. Brora are bankrolled by a sugardaddy already. For the away teams it's only 2 trips per year. You could also draw a parallel with Scottish Rugby, where the likes of Caithness have played in the National Leagues; even Orkney and Shetland play in their Northern League, stretching all the way to Dundee, Fife, Stirlingshire and Clackmannan.

(Incidentally, largely amateur Scottish rugby has 46 clubs playing nationwide, being 4 more than Scottish football!! It peaked at 72).

Yesterday's results:

Arbroath 2-2 Brora

East Stirlingshire 2-2 Inverurie Loco Works

Gretna 0-2 Annan

East Kilbride 1-4 Clyde

Montrose 2-1 Buckie

You cant take the results in friendlies as a comparison though????

Pretty sure that was their first team going by their website and we had a wad of young guys and young trialists, we had 7 senior first team members featuring over the game and 2 of them were goalies.

If there was a play off the team in this league would stay up I think.

We played them in the cup a couple years ago. Sure Coldstream, around 10 miles South of Berwick have also played them a couple of times in recent years.

I never realised until now how fucking diagonal the border is :lol:

Berwick-upon-Tweed is actually further North than places like Kilmarnock and Ayr and a large part of North-East England is actually further North than parts of South-West Scotland

Bit bizarre really

You cant take the results in friendlies as a comparison though????

Pretty sure that was their first team going by their website and we had a wad of young guys and young trialists, we had 7 senior first team members featuring over the game and 2 of them were goalies.

If there was a play off the team in this league would stay up I think.

I never said you reliably could, tbf, but it's the only guide going (however flawed) other than Scottish Cup meetings - and then the actual play-off itself. It's just for interest and speculation.

I never realised until now how fucking diagonal the border is :lol:

Berwick-upon-Tweed is actually further North than places like Kilmarnock and Ayr and a large part of North-East England is actually further North than parts of South-West Scotland

Bit bizarre really

Similarly, places like Gretna - and therefore of course Carlisle - are further east than Edinburgh.

Deveronvale 3-3 Elgin

That's now 3 draws and 1 win for Elgin v HL opposition.

Barry Wilson hasn't managed any of those games, because he was on holiday. I expect the first game he will take charge of is on Saturday against Ross County Clach tonight.

Archived