We will struggle.

Elgin will do much better than many are predicting- they have made one or two decent signings over the summer but no one really bothered noticing.

I really hope that we can steer clear of trouble, but as things stand a tough season lies ahead.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for some of the garbage written on this forum, either Berwick or Clyde for me, but since that is not how it will be decided, I have a real fear it well be Montrose

A number of friendlies played, or still to be played, between SPFL2 + HL/LL clubs:

Threave v Albion

Annan v Threave

Gretna v Annan

Arbroath v Brora

Spartans 0-3 Berwick

Whitehill v Berwick

East Kilbride v Clyde

Gala 0-3 East Fife

Preston 2-3 East Fife

East Stirlingshire v Inverurie

Clachnacuddin v Elgin

Deveronvale v Elgin

Huntly 2-2 Elgin

Lossiemouth 1-3 Elgin

Elgin v Nairn

Montrose v Cove

East Kilbride 0-0 Queen's Park

If, say, QP go down and a Highland League team come up... would QP have to go to the Highland League? Or would the Northernmost Lowland League team (Stirling Uni?) have to move to the Highland League or would they just go ahead with leagues that were regularly changing size?

Well stirling albion are classed as a northern team for the challenge cup so maybe the Uni would get moved to the HL?

The Highland/Lowland boundary is fixed at some point near the Tay. Regardless of which league a side was promoted from, Montrose, Arbroath and Elgin would be relegated into the Highland League while everyone else would go into the Lowland League.

The Highland/Lowland boundary is fixed at some point near the Tay. Regardless of which league a side was promoted from, Montrose and Elgin would be relegated into the Highland League while everyone else would go into the Lowland League.

Arbroath are HL as well.

The boundary is currently fixed, however I don't think it will stay where it is forever and those close to the boundary may find themselves changing region.

Arbroath are HL as well.

The boundary is currently fixed, however I don't think it will stay where it is forever and those close to the boundary may find themselves changing region.

Forgot that Arbroath had been relegated - will fix my original post.

We will struggle.

Elgin will do much better than many are predicting- they have made one or two decent signings over the summer but no one really bothered noticing.

I really hope that we can steer clear of trouble, but as things stand a tough season lies ahead.

My sentiments exactly.

The only concern about Elgin is the centre of their defence. Wilson might have his critics but he's improved the balance of the squad a bit and, most importantly, has all but two of the squad training together locally. They will be aiming for fourth at least but I think their defence might see them finish in the bottom half.

There are too many variables with Queen's Park to say with any certainty what end in the table they will finish, but I think it will be them and Montrose to fight it out at the moment.

What happens if say Queen's Park go down and Brora come up? Surely QP playing in the highland league is nonsensical

It amazes me the number of people thinking this.

Queen's Park would enter LL [who presumably would admit 1 club instead of 2 to reach their intended 16], and HL would run 1 club short than previously, unless there was a suitable addition - perhaps Banks o'Dee. Going forward this "extra in/extra out" would operate.

(An alternative option, not adopted, would be the most northerly LL team being reassigned to HL).

According to HL website the boundary is a fixed line of latitude.

It appears this line effectively means everyone south of the Tay, plus a bit of Perthshire (i.e. Scone), = LL.

This means the "Highland Area" is effectively:

SPFL clubs... Dundee, Dundee United, Inverness, Ross County; Brechin, Forfar, Peterhead; Arbroath, Elgin, Montrose

HL clubs... all

Junior clubs... all North Region clubs; plus East Region clubs from Dundee; Broughty Ferry; Carnoustie, Blairgowrie, Kirriemuir; Arbroath Brechin; Forfar; Montrose; but not Scone.

What happens if say Queen's Park go down and Brora come up? Surely QP playing in the highland league is nonsensical

In this instance, a team would be promoted into the HL and a team would be relegated from the LL to accommodate QP. Slightly different from Hibby Jibby's thoughts, but that's what I've been told.

I suppose it depends on the ups and downs, but the current dividing line of the Tay might be moved some time in the future.

In this instance, a team would be promoted into the HL and a team would be relegated from the LL to accommodate QP. Slightly different from Hibby Jibby's thoughts, but that's what I've been told.

I suppose it depends on the ups and downs, but the current dividing line of the Tay might be moved some time in the future.

That may be the case if LL becomes 16 teams and a tier 6 is added but can't happen until then.

I would like to see either Edinburgh City or Spartans come up but its between Montrose, QP or Elgin but which one will finish 10th we will have to wait and see come May.

Pity Clydebank can't get promoted and come up to football league. be good team to draw in the cup if they were tied with Airdrie it would be like down south where we already seen AFC Wimbledon vs MK Dons drawn together :thumbsdown

That may be the case if LL becomes 16 teams and a tier 6 is added but can't happen until then.

Yes, there is no difference between what HampdenDiehard and myself are saying taken in the round.

Fundamental point is that seemingly, for now at least, there is a 'fixed boundary'.

I'm simply noting 2 facts which are namely: [1] at this point in time LL is not at its full complement so they wouldn't necessarily have to relegate anyone - and [2] at this point in time there's nothing below HL so they wouldn't necessarily be able to fill their vacant space (although as I allude Banks o'Dee FC have previously applied and are licensed).

That second point has significance the other way about: namely that if (say) Spartans come up and (say) Elgin go down - and everyone in HL get licensed - you have 19 HL clubs with nowhere obvious to relegate to, at least until the Juniors decide what they're doing. As HL would be the bottom rung, in that part of the country anyway. But who knows - maybe they'd run with 19 clubs, or maybe they'd revive Keith FC's plan for 10-10.

Brora will be in the League this time next year, if their park satisfies the criteria - and if they really want promotion.

Montrose would seem to me to be the favourites to drop out, but it could be any of 4 or 5 teams.

Archived