How refreshing it is to have a season beginning where, finally, a form of promotion/relegation is available into and out of the Scottish League. Long-awaited. Both the Highland and Lowland leagues have issued their fixture-lists, so it seems like the arrangements are as follows - going by these links:

http://slfl.co.uk/2014/07/season-201414-fixtures/

http://www.highlandfootballleague.com/News/Item/433_SHFL_Fixtures_for_Season_2014-15.aspx

Start of Season

Saturday 2nd August

"Press & Journal" Highland League - first day

Brora Rangers v Huntly, Clachnacuddin v Cove Rangers, Forres Mechanics v Fraserburgh, Fort William v Buckie Thistle, Lossiemouth v Keith, Nairn County v Formartine United, Rothes v Inverurie Loco Works, Strathspey Thistle v Turriff United, Wick Academy v Deveronvale

"Scottish Sun" Lowland League - first day

BSC Glasgow v Edinburgh University, Dalbeattie Star v Whitehill Welfare, Gretna 2008 v East Kilbride, Preston Athletic v Gala Fairydean Rovers, Selkirk v Threave Rovers, Spartans v University of Stirling, Vale of Leithen v Edinburgh City

Saturday 9th August

SPFL League 2 - first day

Albion Rovers v Annan Athletic, Berwick Rangers v Arbroath, Elgin City v East Fife, Montrose v East Stirlingshire, Queen's Park v Clyde

End of Season

Saturday 18th April

"Press & Journal" Highland League - last day

Buckie Thistle v Huntly, Clachnacuddin v Strathspey Thistle, Cove Rangers v Fort William, Formartine United v Turriff United, Fraserburgh v Inverurie Loco Works, Keith v Deveronvale, Lossiemouth v Nairn County, Rothes v Brora Rangers, Wick Academy v Forres Mechanics

"Scottish Sun" Lowland League - last day

BSC Glasgow v Gretna 2008, Dalbeattie Star v Preston Athletic, Edinburgh University v East Kilbride, Selkirk v Edinburgh City, Spartans v Threave Rovers, Vale of Leithen v University of Stirling, Whitehill Welfare v Gala Fairydean Rovers

Saturday 25th April

SHFL Champion v SLFL Champion

Saturday 2nd May

SLFL Champion v SHFL Champion

SPFL League 2 - last day

Annan Athletic v Montrose, Arbroath v Berwick Rangers, Clyde v Queen's Park, East Fife v Elgin City, East Stirlingshire v Albion Rovers

Saturday 9th May

SHFL/SLFL Champion v SPFL Club 42

Saturday 16th May

SPFL Club 42 v SHFL/SLFL Champion

Early tip for the drop?

Early tip to come up?

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should just be called Queen's Park Watch IMO.

Gus' cloggers to hoof their way into the Lowland League and Brora to come up.

I thought Brora didn't want to come up?

Unfortunately, I feel Elgin might give Queens Park a run for their money.

More Rangers sympathies. Typical from an Old Firm tabloid sideshow.

Not quite. I just think that (if they do want to come up, I'm not sure if they do) they will spend and spend to achieve it. Don't think any of the LL or even HL teams have a current squad and/or financial clout like theirs. They'll need to punt Munro and Tokely the carthorses though.

Brora's sugardaddy has been quoted as saying he'd like to dominate the Highland League for several years... whether that means the club as a whole will not want to move up if/when the opportunity arises - who knows. I'm not sure they are light years ahead: they romped HL but struggled v Vale of Leithen in the Scottish Cup, needing a last-minute goal at home against 8 men. I don't think they'll get it as easy in HL this year. Nor will the LL champ be a walkover.

I thought that if the HFL or LL champions dont meet the licence criteria then they are scratched from the competition. So if say Fort William and BSC Glasgow win their leagues then there would be no playoffs or if the LL team that wins the league isnt licenced then the HFL team will be twiddling their thumbs for 2 weeks prior to their game against Club 42.

is that correct?

I thought that if the HFL or LL champions dont meet the licence criteria then they are scratched from the competition. So if say Fort William and BSC Glasgow win their leagues then there would be no playoffs or if the LL team that wins the league isnt licenced then the HFL team will be twiddling their thumbs for 2 weeks prior to their game against Club 42.

is that correct?

Correct, however the league can(and probably will) give clubs a period of grace to meet requirements.

The only extra requirement to play in the spfl in 2015-2016 compared to the HL/LL is bronze standard floodlights.

I think it will be hard to judge who will be bottom come the end of the season. Queens Park and East Stirlingshire are probably the favourites. But Montrose may just find themselves at the bottom.

I think it will be hard to judge who will be bottom come the end of the season. Queens Park and East Stirlingshire are probably the favourites.

In previous seasons we were favourites although surely of we are one of the favourites for the drop it's on previous reputation instead of current squad. I'm not really sure where we will finish this year and it may well be bottom, however at this moment in time I think we look in better shape than Queens Park, Elgin & Montrose at least.

In previous seasons we were favourites although surely of we are one of the favourites for the drop it's on previous reputation instead of current squad. I'm not really sure where we will finish this year and it may well be bottom, however at this moment in time I think we look in better shape than Queens Park, Elgin & Montrose at least.

I'd say so!

Between ourselves and Elgin. Also means we get what we aimed for......the playoffs!

There's no way of knowing how good or pish we'll be. Nobody really knows any of the new players. I'm reasonably confident that we'll be safe, but don't expect us to be close to the action at the top end.

Between the Mo and Elgin for me. Hopefully Montrose, quicker they die the better. Scotland should get their fucking priorities sorted and hold a referendum on whether or not they should become independent from that cesspit.

Can't see QP going down with McPherson in charge. Don't rate Wilson at Elgin in the slightest so even though they have some reasonable players, I can see them under threat. As for Mo, pish squad, pish manager.

Shire are probably bit of an unknown quantity, while Albion would be hilarious.

To be honest it could be anyone but Clyde & Berwick. There's absolutely no chance the SFA would let two clubs that big leave the system.

Between Shire, Elgin, Rose and Queens for me. Can't see Gus getting a team relegated in this division though. If I was to pick one it would be Montrose. Uninspiring managerial choice and just seem happy to hang about. Lack of ambition will be, and should be punished.

Archived