FAO Older Posters

Are you disappointed how the future has turned out?

Not in a "I never saw me as a middle aged divorced guy scraping by on minimum wage" way. I mean more technologically in a "When I was a kid, Gerry Anderson had me convinced that we'd have moon bases by 1999" or "it's the 21st Century and where are the f***ing androids to do the housework?!" type way.

Or is that all completely outweighted by the idea that you can just Google almost anything on your mobile and no longer need to visit the library for a textbook... or is the mobile phone enough itself???

Sorry if this sound patronising, but I'm just interested and think about my future and wonder if technology will develop at the same exciting pace or just slow down and be largely a big disappointment... (an existing thread already covers the potential future from now though)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I paid five pounds in edinburgh for a pint of lager last week. The first pint i ever bought was 85p.

We've six unlikely months left to invent the hover board or back to the future was wrong.

On both counts the future has let me down.

Not really. When I think about what has happened tec wise in the past 10 years is just amazing. 10 years ago to think we would be walking around with mini computers in our pockets is unbelievable.

I paid five pounds in edinburgh for a pint of lager last week. The first pint i ever bought was 85p.

We've six unlikely months left to invent the hover board or back to the future was wrong.

On both counts the future has let me down.

The first pint I bought was 2/6d - 12.5p

Technology has made life easier but workwise peoples lives are much worse than in even the recent past.

With later and later retirement age too! :(

Guest The Phoenix
With later and later retirement age too! :(

Work keeps you young.

I'd be bored ridged without having work to look forward to every day.

I lost my job on 1st May and every job I've seen advertised is half the wages and with no shift allowance for unsocial hours. It's like the return of ' The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist' in the job market in this technological future world.

Sadly I automatically clicked on this thread after reading "older". That in itself is disappointing.

Not in a "I never saw me as a middle aged divorced guy scraping by on minimum wage" way. I mean more technologically in a "When I was a kid, Gerry Anderson had me convinced that we'd have moon bases by 1999" or "it's the 21st Century and where are the f***ing androids to do the housework?!" type way.

And now I'm even more disappointed as the whole "I never saw me as a middle aged divorced guy scraping by on minimum wage" way was what I was really interested in discussing.

Compared to the irradiated wasteland that looked like a good bet for the future during my formative years in the late 70s/early 80s we’re doing okay.

We’ve overachieved in certain areas like information technology where even the most optimistic predictions are probably behind the curve of where we’ve reached, but in other areas like space exploration we’ve barely troubled the scorer.

It’s almost as if the human race has collectively decided that we’ll never do anything as cool as the original series of Star Trek, so why bother?

ETA - first pint 47p :)

The first pint I bought was 2/6d - 12.5p

First (legal) pint I bought was 16p. Admission to the fitba (Pittodrie) was 33p (the standard 30p plus 3p of the new fangled VAT)

I have used this differential ever since and with a pint at £3 feel that standard entry to the fitba should be £6 - not the £22 I was paying last year.

Still apart from not colonising the moon and the lack of personal jet-packs, the 'future' is pretty damned amazing.

To reverse the OP's question - what a rude shock we would get if we travelled back to that time in 'the past'

Compared to the irradiated wasteland that looked like a good bet for the future during my formative years in the late 70s/early 80s we’re doing okay.

I grew up in dying/post industrial Lanarkshire so your future was my then present in the 70s/80s.

Work keeps you young. I'd be bored ridged without having work to look forward to every day.

Tell me about it. I was made redundant three weeks ago and already it's driving me absolutely nuts with just cover letter writing and background reading to fill my day whilst everyone else is busy. I'm genuinely worried about the thought of retirement having years of this. I've started taking an interest in Wimbledon FFS. Sorted out soon hopefully.

Eta: I've realised the complete contradiction which I've just made. Double-edged sword of no hope. :(

To reverse the OP's question - what a rude shock we would get if we travelled back to that time in 'the past'

I wonder what the first thing to hit you would be? Cassette tapes for the car? Getting out the note/phone book to find out somebody's number? Writing a letter?! Probably something even more obvious that we can't think of because we're just so used to it?

Archived