Nazi slurs from Better Together

jester

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_and_Soil

Richard Walther Darré popularized the phrase at the time of the rise of Nazi Germany; he wrote a book called Neuadel aus Blut und Boden (A New Nobility Based On Blood And Soil) in 1930, which proposed a systemic eugenics program, arguing for breeding as a cure-all for all the problems plaguing the state.[5] Darré was an influential member of the Nazi party and a noted race theorist who assisted the party greatly in gaining support among common Germans outside the cities.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So when has he accused Yes of being Nazis?

You are guilty of pedantry. They are not "accusing" them of being Nazi's but they are "branding" Scottish Nationalism as being inspired by German and Italian fascism. This is evidenced when the leader of the NO campaign agrees with a journalist who states asks him if it is "blood and soil" nationalism.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/06/alistair-darling-interview-salmond-behaving-kim-jong-il

'Clarification, 22.36: Owing to a transcription error, Alistair Darling was incorrectly quoted using the words "blood and soil nationalism" to describe the SNP's "non-civic nationalism". The phrase was raised in conversation but not used directly by Mr Darling. This is the disputed exchange:

NS: Salmond has successfully redefined the SNP as [representing] a civic nationalism . . .

Darling: Which it isn't . . .

NS: But that's what he says it is. Why do you say it isn't? What is it? Blood and soil nationalism?

Darling: At heart . . . [inaudible mumble] If you ask any nationalist, ‘Are there any circumstances in which you would not vote to be independent?’ they would say the answer has got to be no. It is about how people define themselves through their national identity.'

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/06/alistair-darling-interview-salmond-behaving-kim-jong-il

'Clarification, 22.36: Owing to a transcription error, Alistair Darling was incorrectly quoted using the words "blood and soil nationalism" to describe the SNP's "non-civic nationalism". The phrase was raised in conversation but not used directly by Mr Darling. This is the disputed exchange:

NS: Salmond has successfully redefined the SNP as [representing] a civic nationalism . . .

NS: But that's what he says it is. Why do you say it isn't? What is it? Blood and soil nationalism?

Darling: At heart . . . [inaudible mumble] If you ask any nationalist, ‘Are there any circumstances in which you would not vote to be independent?’ they would say the answer has got to be no. It is about how people define themselves through their national identity.'

The "inaudible mumble" has long since been clarified.

I can see DeeTillEhDeh heading down the same road as H_B.

It would seem Unionist pedantry and whataboutery is contagious.

I'm not a unionist though.

I think Darling is an arse but it also noticable how certain Yes supporters wouldn't know the truth if it punched them in the face.

Lies, damned lies and Wings Over Scotland articles.

I'm not a unionist though.

I think Darling is an arse but it also noticable how certain Yes supporters wouldn't know the truth if it punched them in the face.

Lies, damned lies and Wings Over Scotland articles.

Oh, please. Now I know you're parroting H_B. You've made a derisory WoS comment.

Dear oh.

Darling says that it " isnt civic nationalism".

Has Darling ( in his own words ) stated what kind of nationalism he reckons the SNP are representing?

If not, why not? He says its not one, so he must think its another. Which kind?

"If, ee, uh, at heart, the reason, uh, the whu whu if you ask any nationalist, is there any circumstance in which which you would not vote for sep for uh independence, separation, the answer has got to be no. Because it, it is about, you know, people who define themselves by national identity, you know. That is what, what it is at heart."

"If, ee, uh, at heart, the reason uh, the whu whu" does not equal "ye at heart [it is blood and soil nationalism]"

What Darling did was not answer the question, not affirm it.

"If, ee, uh, at heart, the reason, uh, the whu whu if you ask any nationalist, is there any circumstance in which which you would not vote for sep for uh independence, separation, the answer has got to be no. Because it, it is about, you know, people who define themselves by national identity, you know. That is what, what it is at heart."

"If, ee, uh, at heart, the reason uh, the whu whu" does not equal "ye at heart [it is blood and soil nationalism]"

You are so deeply in love with him it's scary.

For someone who likes to keep the Yes voters honest, you have no problem lying about what Darling says. If you're not lying, then I suggest a hearing test is in order.

The more I read that response from Darling the more I am convinced he is just a bumbling fool who is out of his depth.

Try listening to it instead. The Youtube vid is only about twenty seconds long.

The way he says "At heart" in response to the question: "So what is it, blood and soil nationalism?" is quite emphatic.

There's no way to misinterpret what he meant, though I commend you and Ad Lib on making a very valiant effort to do so.

The more I read that response from Darling the more I am convinced he is just a bumbling fool who is out of his depth.

Or he had no idea what blood and soil nationalism was.

This I find hard to believe.

He is adamant that its not civic nationalism, so what is it?

Try listening to it instead. The Youtube vid is only about twenty seconds long.

The way he says "At heart" in response to the question: "So what is it, blood and soil nationalism?" is quite emphatic.

There's no way to misinterpret what he meant, though I commend you and Ad Lib on making a very valiant effort to do so.

Yep. That's certainly the way I took it. He agreed with interviewer then started mumbling.

Archived