Mexico V Netherlands

Enigma

But it's Midsomer Murders on STV with Sky. Pain in the arse as I'm out and need to record. Will have to record it in blurravision off ITV instead. STV say it's an outdated programme guide Sky are using. Well, it would help if someone had updated it.

If you go into services on your Sky box, you can do a manual record.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The usual Dutch football snobs have started, the whole country thinks they are tactical geniuses and that as long as Total Football is being played everything is fine. There have been loads of arguments about how the Dutch have played on their panels following every game (not just Holland matches), they don't seem to be able to enjoy winning, Arrogant fuckwits.

From When Saturday Comes.

"Holland's winning style decried as "heresy" back home

Louis van Gaal's tactics not won over purists

icon wcrunningcup29 June ~ The mood in the Netherlands has changed dramatically over the past couple of weeks. Before the tournament started, few people here genuinely believed that the Dutch could qualify from their group. But now, with Mexico and then Costa Rica or Greece between them and a semi-final berth, expectations are high. And why not? Louis van Gaal's side were top scorers in the group phase with ten goals, the only non-top-seeded team to win all three matches and their astonishing demolition of the reigning champions is still the most remarkable performance of the tournament so far.

Yet while this upturn in fortune has brought greater optimism, it has also been accompanied by considerable criticism on the home front. Supporters, football writers and TV analysts have all expressed their disdain at the manner in which these victories have been achieved. On the TV show Voetbal International Oranje, sports journalist Johan Derksen and former PSV player René van der Gijp have been particularly withering in their attacks on Van Gaal's tactics.

The problem, as they and others see it, is that decades of attack-oriented, swashbuckling football have been abandoned in favour of a more conservative, reactive and – heaven forbid – result-oriented style. The 5-3-2 formation that led to the dismantling of Spain and the stifling of Chile is viewed as bordering on heretical. It's been dubbed "polder catenaccio". Possession football has been sacrificed for defensive solidity and a counter-attacking philosophy. The purists are not happy, and express themselves like puritans.

It seems strange that an approach born out of necessity should be so reviled. Van Gaal correctly concluded that he didn't have the necessary talent to play the usual high-pressing, dominant game and therefore came up with an alternative. That it has proved so effective in such a short space of time – he was only able to try it out in a couple of pre-tournament friendlies – is a testimony to the man's tactical genius.

A shaky defence has been bolstered with the addition of an extra central defender. And by playing deeper, space has been created for Arjen Robben, arguably the best player in Brazil so far, to exploit with such devastating effect. Of course it has helped that others have also been in excellent form, such as Daley Blind, Nigel de Jong and Memphis Depay, but this really has been a triumph of a well-drilled team.

So hopes are high for the game against Mexico. If everyone is fit then the general consensus here is that the Dutch are favourites. The quarter-final looks winnable as well. And who knows, if they could out-manoeuvre their semi-final opponents (Argentina?) then maybe even the critics would grudgingly acknowledge the merits of this new Oranje style."

Derek Brookman

http://www.wsc.co.uk/wsc-daily/1183-world-cup-2014/11697-holland-s-winning-style-decried-as-heresy-back-home

Not fussed who wins, I've loads of Dutch pals, who have also been arguing about the style of play, so would be happy for them but I've really taken to the Mexican team and their manager, a great spirit about them and no prima donnas.

Can't believe that someone said that Holland beat Spain because they were past their best. Holland hammered the present World and European champions 5-1. In saying that Mexico got a draw with Brazil so I'm going for Mexico on penalties.

The Dutch are only very slightly better at penalties than England.

Am I missing something? Why is this not on STV according to the Sky guide?

I saw someone else saying this as well, but it's on my sky guide (and has been all day).

ETA: it's also on the sky app on my phone, so maybe people could look to record from there? (not literally from my phone, obviously)

Want Netherlands to win, but wouldn't be too broken up if Mexico wins instead, mainly thanks to this man.

untitled-126dspk.gif

This is one of those occasions where I would be happy to see either team progress. Would prefer it to be Mexico, but happy if it's The Netherlands.

Been really impressed with Ron Vlaar this tournament. There have been a few examples of players who aren't great for their club performing very well during the World Cup.

I wonder which of these players will end up at Man Utd next season?

Archived