Scottish Independence - How Will You Vote? MkIII

Ludo*1

181 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I kinda genuinely believe(d) that any sensible adult would realise there are offensive people on both sides.

I also believe(d) that no one would surely fall for the "cyber nats" schtick outside of the Daily Mail and BBC.

Point one - I agree, but perceive an extra depth of nastiness by some of the keyboard warriors purporting to be Nationalists.

Point two - I read more than one newspaper and my views of the BBC are that is far from unbiased, but I don't think they are making up stories about death threats?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes and no. I find an incredible lack of information from both sides when it comes to the "important stuff". Anyway, aren't politicians, (who are almost people), meant to sway your vote?

1) There's plenty of stuff to be found on the internet, mainly biased but there's enough from both sides on all of the issues to be able to make a judgment based on that.

2) Yes, they're supposed to sway your vote, but at the end of the day, it's up to you to decide what's best for Scotland, and that decision can't be made on the back of "I don't like those people". It's simply far too important for that.

Alex Salmond will have gotten more death threats through the post than Santa gets at Christmas AFJ but youll no see that on the front page of The Sun.

I'll never see anything on the front of the Sun mate as I wouldn't read the filthy rag but, facetiousness aside, I doubt a politician as astute as Eck would fail to make political capital out of death threats. In fact I would expect any politician to use it to their advantage.

Not that it would excuse any moron who made death threats.

I don't agree really that the "threats" are from one side more than another.

On the No side there have been thuggish MPs threatening violence (google the charming Iain Davidson), unionist extremists calling for "lists" to be made of Yes voters, let alone the death threats regulalrly recived by Alex Salmond. Let alone some of the more menacing noises being emitted by the Orange Order and ludicrous calls for "partition" of Scotland in the event of a Yes vote.

Of course there have been utterly idiotic Yes supporters who have embarrassed the cause too, but I don;lt think you can reasonably make the case that the idiots and threatening knuckle draggers all come fromthe Yes camp. Far from it, in fact.

Point one - I agree, but perceive an extra depth of nastiness by some of the keyboard warriors purporting to be Nationalists.

Point two - I read more than one newspaper and my views of the BBC are that is far from unbiased, but I don't think they are making up stories about death threats?

It all depends where you look mate. I GUARANTEE you there has been an equal amount of abuse from both sides, but it depends who's doing the reporting, doesn't it?

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2014/06/12/spin-and-smear/

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/14/better-together-mistakes-scottish-independence

I don't agree really that the "threats" are from one side more than another.

On the No side there have been thuggish MPs threatening violence (google the charming Iain Davidson), unionist extremists calling for "lists" to be made of Yes voters, let alone the death threats regulalrly recived by Alex Salmond. Let alone some of the more menacing noises being emitted by the Orange Order and ludicrous calls for "partition" of Scotland in the event of a Yes vote.

Of course there have been utterly idiotic Yes supporters who have embarrassed the cause too, but I don;lt think you can reasonably make the case that the idiots and threatening knuckle draggers all come fromthe Yes camp. Far from it, in fact.

I categorically didn't; I said that it was my perception that there was an extra depth of nastiness on one side. No side is blameless - that much is evident.

Just to be perfectly clear, I believe ANYONE making threats of violence or death to another because of their political views should be arrested and charged, no matter what side they are on. Too many people hide behind keyboards and say things to others that they wouldn't dare say to them face to face.

Am being pushed towards the No camp by the number of absolute zoomers like the cyber nats, and their sheer unadulterated nastiness and inability to allow others to have views different to their own.

This rather implied otherwise. Sorry if I misread it.

I categorically didn't; I said that it was my perception that there was an extra depth of nastiness on one side. No side is blameless - that much is evident.

Just to be perfectly clear, I believe ANYONE making threats of violence or death to another because of their political views should be arrested and charged, no matter what side they are on. Too many people hide behind keyboards and say things to others that they wouldn't dare say to them face to face.

Agreed, but that's social media for you. And it can be no way implied that it's more Yes supporters than No.

A completely skew whiffed MSM may have something to do with it, I suspect.

This rather implied otherwise. Sorry if I misread it.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I was aware that both sides were guilty, but I do perceive a particular depth of nastiness among some, suggesting that they don't want/allow others to have a view unless it matches theirs.

Agreed, but that's social media for you. And it can be no way implied that it's more Yes supporters than No.

A completely skew whiffed MSM may have something to do with it, I suspect.

I'm not bothered about those vehemently arguing their case, because that's what you do when you believe in something passionately, be it yes or no, but those making threats of violence need to be charged.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I was aware that both sides were guilty, but I do perceive a particular depth of nastiness among some, suggesting that they don't want/allow others to have a view unless it matches theirs.

How would you say this is being perceived? Is it personal experience, or what you have seen or read in the media?

I'm not bothered about those vehemently arguing their case, because that's what you do when you believe in something passionately, be it yes or no, but those making threats of violence need to be charged.

I completely agree mate.

true enough.

I would also like those caught threatening violence charged and hopefully jailed if convicted.

It wiz awnly banter is no defence.

Yes they do but your reasoning for voting NO is not the best use of your democratic vote, you like myself may be required by kids or grandkids to declare how and why you voted in this referendum, I voted for one side because both sides had an idiot element might not appear to be too impressive to them.

Archived