glasgow v edinurgh

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't see why we just don't make Glasgow the Capital.

I'd rather stay anywhere than the utter miseryfest that is Aberdeen and all it's "cheerful" locals.

In fairness, and I'm looking at this from a more rational perspective than you'd think as I like both cities, Edinburgh is a much more important city internationally.

Much more famous abroad (anyone who's lived abroad and gets asked if they're from Edinburgh whenever someone hears their Scottish accent can testify to that), Scotland's first and Britain's second financial city, home of the parliament, far more tourism, home of the worlds largest arts festival that generates a fucking fortune for our economy, Balmoral if you care about that shite, so on and so forth.

Glasgow has a bigger population (far bigger metropolitan area) and for those of us who care about football has much better supported teams unfortunately, but on an international scale Edinburgh is Scotland's main city without a doubt.

As much as I previously bemoaned these threads for the nonsense that gets spouted by twats every time, at least when folk are using their brains it can be interesting to know what their opinions are when we have two cities that have an argument. I wonder if there's a Dutch football forum like this for example? Must be a short thread when one of their two main cities is brilliant in almost every way and the other one's a fucking shitheap of the highest order.

I prefer Edinburgh, but if I was wanting to do a proper big-ass shop, like around Xmas time, Glasgow is far better. I think all the argument is good actually, both have many positives and less drawbacks. As it is we're lucky that you can travel between the two in little over an hour, so can have the best of both. Assuming you're not situated somewhere stupid!

Highlight of this thread is always people from non-entity Teuchter towns like Dundee or Perth making definitive statements about nightlife/culture/restaurants cause they went to their mate's 19th at Di Maggio's before heading to The Garage. Typically they've been to Edinburgh for the football a couple of times and maybe the zoo once, maybe Hampden for a Scotland friendly in 2008.

Both are excellent cities, but I'd rather live in Glasgow and visit Edinburgh 5-6 times a year rather than the other way around as I did previously. Glasgow has more options in terms of bars/restaurants/shops for a guy my age (mid 20s), it's better for club nights and gigs comfortably, and the public transport is far better. Edinburgh has incredible architecture, good pubs if you know where to look, and the festival is brilliant if you don't have to get somewhere quickly. Glasgow has more variety imo and is ideal for a young guy but I appreciate Edinburgh far more now than I used to that I've moved away.

This is an excellent post that pretty much sums up my exact feelings.

As much as I previously bemoaned these threads for the nonsense that gets spouted by twats every time, at least when folk are using their brains it can be interesting to know what their opinions are when we have two cities that have an argument. I wonder if there's a Dutch football forum like this for example? Must be a short thread when one of their two main cities is brilliant in almost every way and the other one's a fucking shitheap of the highest order.

We've all missed the main reason to denegrate and avoid Glasgow.

Religious bigotry and sectarianism. A mediaeval blight that they just can't seem to rid themselves of.

A fecking disgrace in the 21st century and until all involved do something about it, Glasgow will always be a shithole in the eyes of many.

Really good posts which would certainly sway anyone who is unsure.

I think anyone who is using PnB to decide which city is the best to vist/live in etc should probably just stop doing so; this isn't TripAdvisor.

Edinburgh really is crying out for at least one or two more good nightclubs, isn't it?

If you like faux-posh "up market" clubs with munters swanning about like they're the tits or schemy holes where the walls sweat then it's a glorious place for a night out, if not there's about two places worth going. Shocking for a city of its size, especially compared to Glasgow.

We've all missed the main reason to denegrate and avoid Glasgow shity satellite towns near Glasgow in places like Ayrshire, Renfrewshire and Lanarkshire..

Religious bigotry and sectarianism. A mediaeval blight that they just can't seem to rid themselves of.

A fecking disgrace in the 21st century and until all involved do something about it, Glasgow will always be a shithole in the eyes of many.

FTFY

The vast majority of weegies couldn't give a single f**k about that shite mate. Try some of the "staunch" communities near Glasgow and it's probably a different story.

Aye because that comes up as a problem for everyone in Glasgow on a daily basis, and in fact isn't actually a problem anywhere except from Glasgow.

I think anyone who is using PnB to decide which city is the best to vist/live in etc should probably just stop doing so; this isn't TripAdvisor.

Couple of points on this:

1) There's a middle ground between "Glasgow/Edinburgh is shit" one liners and people making huge life decisions on the back of a thread of a forum. Decent, interesting discussion sits within that.

2) Aren't you a massive advocate of keeping the depression thread as people could search for it on Google and find it really useful? I'd suggest there's better places on the internet for people to gain advice on that as well.

this is made out so much worse in the media than it actually is, i grew up and work with plenty of "staunch" supporters of both sides, and most of the time it can be passed of as banter and fun. not denying that there is not a secterian culture in glasgow but it is hardly 1970's belfast.

I prefer Edinburgh, but if I was wanting to do a proper big-ass shop, like around Xmas time, Glasgow is far better. I think all the argument is good actually, both have many positives and less drawbacks. As it is we're lucky that you can travel between the two in little over an hour, so can have the best of both. Assuming you're not situated somewhere stupid!

Being from Glasgow and now living in Edinburgh. I like both cities. But one of the things I find poor about Edinburgh is the poor shopping experience. For a capital city Its main shopping street/district Princes street is very poor. Like others have said. Nightlife, shopping Gigs and for those in 18 to 30 age bracket Glasgow is better. But for tourism, Quality of life etc Edinburgh is better.

Couple of points on this:

1) There's a middle ground between "Glasgow/Edinburgh is shit" one liners and people making huge life decisions on the back of a thread of a forum. Decent, interesting discussion sits within that.

2) Aren't you a massive advocate of keeping the depression thread as people could search for it on Google and find it really useful? I'd suggest there's better places on the internet for people to gain advice on that as well.

Completely different issues, as there's going to be bias in differing viewpoints in this thread; can't think of many bias viewpoints in the other. Unlucky.

Don't see why we just don't make Glasgow the Capital.

I'd rather stay anywhere than the utter miseryfest that is Aberdeen and all it's "cheerful" locals.

Don't be silly. Capital shouldn't equal biggest city. Edinburgh's been the capital for hundreds of years, no need to change that.

Edinburgh really is crying out for at least one or two more good nightclubs, isn't it?

If you like faux-posh "up market" clubs with munters swanning about like they're the tits or schemy holes where the walls sweat then it's a glorious place for a night out, if not there's about two places worth going. Shocking for a city of its size, especially compared to Glasgow.

^^^

'Why Not' Regular IMO.

^^^

'Why Not' Regular IMO.

Nobody should ever be labelled that!!

I went in once at Christmas, seasonal jumper on as well and felt so out of place it was unreal, still it all ended good in the end. I'd tend to agree though, Edinburgh's clubs are at spectrum ends of each other, posh, fancy, nobbish ones. Or rank, sticky, but albeit a laugh at times. There's no real middle ground. Still there is a great variety of pubs if you're willing to search for them.

Archived