PRE SEASON FRIENDLIES

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A former newton player now thats signed wi wigtown, not good news if true, dunn, muir to wig, dendo creetown, fidler retired thomson saints wilson low girvan paddy wig or saints an fisher undecided supposedly

Heard this. How can a team lose that many players

Feel for Davy Hyslop, who's spent a good few years building something really good at Newton to be destroyed by the incompetence of a few committee members.

Apparently there's an emergency meeting at the club this week or next.

Sounds familiar.

Same happened 25 years ago the season after they won the league .

Sorry left half but you are wrong about Newton losing their team the season after they won the league. The vast majority of the team that won the league played for Newton the following season.

offside , my apologies , you are absolutely right. Was it the following season there was a mass exodous to Wigtown.

However after Newton won the league there was no manager,no pre season and a lot of trialists used to make up numbers.

Happy to be corrected on that one too !

Its a 3 way tournament played on the 19th July either at ballymoney or ballykeel as they were over at tram last season for this event I.boyd memorial trophy am sure it's called but will look into this over wkend for you's

offside , my apologies , you are absolutely right. Was it the following season there was a mass exodous to Wigtown.

However after Newton won the league there was no manager,no pre season and a lot of trialists used to make up numbers.

Happy to be corrected on that one too !

Newton Stewart when they won the league in the 80's were ran by committee, no manager. Team was usually picked by Ian Bryden,I think. A lot of players left at Xmas the following season, I know the reason but not divulging this..Towards the end of the season team was made up of what was left and a lot of trialists. The next season Wigtown were slightly stronger and were building towards the league title at the start of the 90's. Newton still had quite a decent team though. Alan Hannah and Rab McNeillie and a few other Stranraer based players played for them.

Its a 3 way tournament played on the 19th July either at ballymoney or ballykeel as they were over at tram last season for this event I.boyd memorial trophy am sure it's called but will look into this over wkend for you's

Might get a run up to see it, though Ballymoney is near as far from me as Gretna!

Archived