Luis Suarez

Ach well.

At least it all happened after he beat England.

And Italy, really. Now his ban will probably mean Uruguay are out soon, so all in all a good end result as far as I'm concerned.

(not that I condone his behaviour)

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also can't stand the whiter than white hypocrisy from FIFA, basically saying this would be bad if it happened in a "normal" game but this is the FIFAWORLDCUPBRAZIL Ffs, how dare he!

Let's cite Mexican fans as homophobic for shouting "puto" but give the next two World Cups to Russia and Qatar...

Let's fine and ban any nation that mixes politics with football but move Israel to Europe and keep certain countries apart from one another in qualifying draws...

Let's paint Suarez as the worst thing that's ever happens in football while Blatter runs for another term...

Let's continue as a not for profit charity and keep $2bn in our accounts, just in case...

Fair rant there likes.

Congratulations on winning the Robbie Savage award for grandstanding.

So would I. Not the point I'm making. I'd rather a player have a w**k next to me on the pitch and wipe his batch on my shirt than the same player break my leg. Punishment shouldn't just be decided on how injured the victim is.

I've not mentioned any injury from anything listed. Punishment should fit the crime.

I don't think the crime of biting someone is 10 times worse that what you and I listed, yet the punishment is.

Congratulations on winning the Robbie Savage award for grandstanding.

That wasn't my intention but thanks anyway, great post, lots of value added from you there.

It provides more reasoned analysis than your post did.

It didn't. The same as yours here it was a dig at what I said, which is perfectly acceptable.

Doesn't alter the fact that it was intended to be a snide remark about my post, rather than a constructive one.

One which I have no problem with.

I've not mentioned any injury from anything listed. Punishment should fit the crime.

I don't think the crime of biting someone is 10 times worse that what you and I listed, yet the punishment is.

Personally, I think the punishment does fit the crime. We disagree in how serious biting an opponent is. That's about it.

Personally, I think the punishment does fit the crime. We disagree in how serious biting an opponent is. That's about it.

Fair point.

I personally think spitting in someone's face is worse than biting them on the shoulder, but I guess I would be in the minority with that opinion.

Both are worse than a intentional harmful lunge but I don't think either are many multiple times worse.

Fair point.

I personally think spitting in someone's face is worse than biting them on the shoulder, but I guess I would be in the minority with that opinion.

Both are worse than a intentional harmful lunge but I don't think either are many multiple times worse.

Correct, however, this is the THIRD time he has done this, as well as racially abusing a player. First time he bit someone you can think, well never done it before, few matches ban. Second time he hasn't learnt his lesson, ban him longer. Third time it happens, then he should be hammered, I thought banning him till January would have been sufficient. He needs to be punished harshly, he must have a severe mental problem, all the incidents have been completely unprovoked.

If he does it again I'd punt him out for over a year.

Spitting in somebody's face is pretty revolting. I just find the biting thing weird, rather than disgusting. The boy needs a shrink to find out why he's doing it and sort him out. It's not like he gains any advantage football wise from it. By the way, it's a fairly common thing amongst egg chasers, and there's not nearly the same amount of fuss about it.

Spitting in somebody's face is pretty revolting. I just find the biting thing weird, rather than disgusting. The boy needs a shrink to find out why he's doing it and sort him out. It's not like he gains any advantage football wise from it. By the way, it's a fairly common thing amongst egg chasers, and there's not nearly the same amount of fuss about it.

Completely agree, again its all about opinion but I would never describe biting as disgusting.

Lots of people in the media are banging on that he needs psychiatric help. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. But it's worth remembering that he has only done this 3 times out of all the games he's ever played at senior level (361 according to Wikipedia, meaning he's bit someone in 0.83% of all the games he's played in at senior level), meaning that this is in no way a regular thing or even occsional; it's exceptionally rare. Do you take such rare behaviour as to mean someone is a fucking nutter? I've done some pretty silly things, but also only very rarely, as I'm sure plenty of others have, but no one is told to fire off to see a shrink unless it's something that happens often, which as we've established the biting is not (0.83% remember). The bites were bizarre and daft, but for the most part pretty harmless. Is it really so mental? Also surely someone who goes around elbowing folk in the face or headbutting/punching/kicking/stamping more than once would surely need psychiatric help as well?

I'm not defending what he did, but I don't think it's that bad. I would say it's just violent conduct, albeit very childish violent conduct, and therefore deserves no more than whatever the punishment for that is (is it three games or something like that?). You can point out it's the third time he's done it, but plenty of players have been done plenty of times for violent conduct yet get nothing like the ban that has been handed out to Suarez.

Also just a comment about Liverpool fans greeting that Liverpool are somehow being punished; what a load of shite. Are they really a one man team? I seem to remember them doing alright without him at the start of last season. He won't be out for the whole season either. Are they really so reliant on one man? Obviously he is by far their best player and can win games for them, but he's only going to be missing a quarter or so of the season; no worse than if a star player got a bad injury. Crying that Liverpool are being punished is nonsense as it basically says that the employer is absolved of all responsibility of the actions of their employees, which is utter rubbish. If you extend this logic, you are basically saying that the player can get anyway with almost anything without punishment. It's such a wanky, stupid argument.

Oh and the Uruguanian management and players defending him are also talking pish.

When you say fairly common, it's certainly more common than Luis Suarez and his three occurrences, but it's not a run-of-the-mill event. Rugby also has a set citation and discipline structure, whereas FIFA, in this case, were simply using some kind of mysterious ad hoc system to come up with the punishment. It's yet another failing in the way football is run.

Correct, however, this is the THIRD time he has done this, as well as racially abusing a player. First time he bit someone you can think, well never done it before, few matches ban. Second time he hasn't learnt his lesson, ban him longer. Third time it happens, then he should be hammered, I thought banning him till January would have been sufficient. He needs to be punished harshly, he must have a severe mental problem, all the incidents have been completely unprovoked.

If he does it again I'd punt him out for over a year.

Good point about repeat offending.

However if say he had intentionally lunged at someone and got a three match ban a few years ago and done the same last year then again last game what do you think the suspensions would be?

3 games.

3 games.

5 games?

3 games.

6 games.

9 games?

I have to admit I'm really intrigued rather than disgusted by the whole biting thing and his obvious mental issues regarding it, maybe that's why I don't have as big an issue with it.

Has there ever been any examples of players been hit with football bans that affect club and country before?

There are probably shitloads but I don't know of any off the top of my head.

eric-cantona_1840111c.jpg

Eight month ban from the F.A. and (then FIFA Worldwide suspension for the same period I think) he was never selected for France again after that.

I find it amusing that some morons are suggesting Liverpool sack him. Nobody genuinely thinks they should, but they have to be seen by the media in taking the moral high ground. Who in their right mind honestly thinks they're going to sack a player worth the better end of £100 million!

On a separate note, football is slightly less talented without Luis Suarez. Top 5 player in the world at the moment.

Archived